Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

I guess I'm lucky that I play with my friends in real life and if someone doesn't show up we just get drunk and play video games instead or watch a movie or something and just play DnD the next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Super Waffle posted:

Ok guys I need some GMing advice. Is it grognardy of me to have an invincible NPC? The NPC in question got into combat with the PC's while running away. He took damage but I just sort of pretended to write it down so they wouldn't get suspicious that he was really important. I never even bothered to stat him up at all. Is this railroading? :ohdear:

As long as (like Mikan said) he didn't take an unreasonable amount of damage so it's realistic that he survived, it's fine. If you're trying to set him up to be a recurring bad guy, having the PCs meet/fight him a couple times with him barely getting away each time helps make it that much more satisfying when the party finally wrecks his poo poo for good.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Spoilered just in case!

Whether or not I'd give experience for each one depends on how they react. If they're actively trying to figure out how to stop them from rising (strategizing about killing whoever's raising them, trying to disable a magical glyph, dunno what it is since I'm unfamiliar with the module), I'd probably give them extra experience. If they try and just farm them for round after round (especially if they try and incapacitate whatever NPC is raising them just to keep killing them), then gently caress no they aren't getting experience.

Of course you could also lie and just say "hooray you magically have just enough experience to level up"

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Super Waffle posted:

How should I handle monsters that can turn invisible, then move? Should I take the model/token off the grid and keep a mental note of where it is? Or just tell them "Ok this guy is invisible"?

Leave the model on there as a reminder of where the PCs last saw them, keep track yourself of where it really is, and remember that the monster has to make a stealth check vs. the PC's passive perceptions if he wants to move without them knowing where he ends up.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

So question. Is rigging a fight so the PCs lose always bad? I'd always been taught as a general rule you just don't do that but I have a long term villian I'd like to establish as a credible threat and in 4e you generally don't run into fights you can't overcome, given how powerful the PCs are.

Is it wrong of me to have them fight the boss (or if they heed the warning and flee that's cool too I won't make them fight him) and after a few rounds and of demolishing them have it interrupted so they can confront him down the line? I feel somehow that embarrassing the PCs is a way to get them to hate the guy off the bat.

Try having the villain be encountered along with some of his minions (not the mechanical kind, just some underlings), maybe a "mini-boss" enemy like a lieutenant or big scary monster, and have the villain throw a few attacks at the PCs before running away. You get the classic "haha, I am too good for the likes of you!" retreat to establish him as an arrogant prick (if applicable), or maybe as someone who doesn't care about his servants and doesn't care either way who wins or loses the fight. It's also an opportunity to establish how powerful he is by having the few attacks he uses be high damage, or come with dazes or stuns or what have you.

And if any of your players are heavy into combat, in my experience nothing pisses them off more than having something get away from them.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

I admittedly have never played Scales of War, and have just read the plot overview a while back, but (spoilered just in case) isn't there some shadar-kai weapons dealer in the latish heroic tier? Perhaps they find out the massacre was his doing. I think he marks his wares with a broken black arrow or something; maybe the one-shot PCs track down who's responsible for the massacre and they notice all the armor and weapons the villains used have the weapons dealer's mark on them, which leads them to him. They fight one of his lieutenants as he makes his escape so he can fight the main PCs later.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

That Rough Beast posted:

I don't even understand how people realistically think they can get away with it anyway. I mean I'm sitting here trying to think of the various gimmicks you would use to cheat in a game where everybody rolls dice that are clearly visible on the tabletop to everyone else sitting there and all I'm coming up with is some keystone cops poo poo where you quickly pick the dice up before anyone can see or send them caroming off your trapper keeper into the floor and the idea of someone developing these techniques is just pathetic on so many levels.

When my one friend would get a few beers in he'd be prone to fudging his ranger's rolls by snatching them up before anyone could get a good look at them, so a 6 might become a 16.

But we didn't care because by then we were usually also a few beers in.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

I hear Slaying Stone is supposed to be pretty good (just came out last monthish?), and it's a level one adventure. Pretty open-ended, too. You're looking for the eponymous artifact, and all you know is that it's in a ruined city, so the party searches the place trying to find it.

It's much smaller in scope than Keep, as well. KotS is 1-4, Slaying Stone is only supposed to take you to about level 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

I've never played or DMed for a group where building up a home base/castle/city hasn't been greeted with unbridled enthusiasm.