Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Figure out what classes your players are using ASAP so you can either do the treasure for them, or have them do their wishlists. In my game everyone had never played before so I had to pick treasure for them.

Try to let them know, as 1st level adventurers in the world, that running up to melee the ogre attached to the cart in the second encounter is a horribly risky and stupid tactical maneuver.

The skill challenge DCs for the first 2 adventures is the old horribly hard and off method so you'll have to use the newer one to lower them out.

Try to hand out treasure a bit more than the adventure states, it's pretty stingy in terms of how many encounters there are with nothing in them.

If your players were as good tactically as mine, it's almost a snoozefest at how easy it is, I had to drop more monsters in to make it more exciting for them, you'll get a feel for this as you watch them play so ask them if they think the difficulty is right. The only encounter my players felt was tough was the wandering ghouls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
I've seen some things posted about this before but can't find any now.

Are there any bad rear end android (kindle fire) or iphone apps for D&D that are must haves? My laptop sucks but is presentable and I like using things like Masterplan, is there anything awesome to bring on either app platform to the game as a player or dm?

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Posting here as a Player, in a game for a guy I've GM'd for for a few years, with advice for other GMs.

Scarcity of magic items is one thing, but extreme scarcity in even the more mundane things is really really irritating as a player.

My Paladin could not find a single pair of manacles/hand cuffs in a small-ish town, when asking the blacksmith to make some, he gave a quote in days that I found useless for my purpose, and had to do it with rope and go through bullshit checks/situations that manacles/hand cuffs would have helped with. The Town "sheriff" had some but would not part with them as they were town equipment, okay.

Get to a big city, buy those, go to remote middle of nowhere, hit level 5 and get Summon Steed, use mount and think "hey, a lance would be cool." Go to another smallish city that wasn't capital and hit up supply store, no Lances, only option would be to have my character ride for 2 days round trip on a mount when the undead we needed to investigate were 2 hours away.

Sidenote: we also needed someone to read some diary we found in a language no one knew, I went to the one magic item shoppe we knew of, no scrolls of Comprehend Language for Wizard, requested one made, over a week in game has gone by, we eventually met the one NPC he had in mind who could read Infernal or Abyssal or whatever, scroll has still not been made.

I think literally the only example I can ever even think of me even slightly stiffing the party on something like this was when this player asked for "drugs" out of the blue and I said "yeah I can pull up some stuff with effects and withdrawal and etc but not in mid session, give me next session and we'll have some stuff setup."