Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you're hellbent on doing that, making the bonus to rolls +30/20 is really stupid; all it does is reassure your players that they aren't doing poo poo, and that it's entirely you behind the wheel. Make them roll a bunch of die for damage, instead of a single d20, and get rid of the bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm no DM, and fairly new to traditional gaming as a whole, but I really can't see past the "the person is missing a fun activity, why should they be further punished?" line of thinking. Maybe I'm just naive though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If someone is habitually absent though, yes, talk to them to see why. Is it because they've had some heavy poo poo to deal with, or are they just not having fun? If it's the latter, tell them that they're welcome to leave. It's a 4-6 hour leisure activity, why would you want to be apart of it if it isn't fun? The party can deal without their 5th member if the DM knows his poo poo anyway.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Gosh.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
gently caress players, I DM for me. They're just an obstacle.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah, it doesn't really feel like a Controller to me, mostly. Obviously that doesn't mean anything is wrong with the encounter, though. If you wanted, maybe reflavor the pyrokinetic blast to be something that would shift instead of push.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fitz posted:

What the players don't know is that their weapons are artifacts made to channel the user's life essence and the essence collected over the course of their adventures (each one is themed around a chromatic dragon) into the Red essence (the witch.) Resulting in enough energy to bring back Tiamat. The OH poo poo moment happens when she hits bloodied and Tiamat is resurrected and then basically flies off because shes got better poo poo to do than play with the party. Then they go into Epic Tier with Tiamat as the BBEG.

This is really cool. Make sure you have an explanation for the PCs as to why they never noticed their weapons were feeding the big bad energy, and why each magic weapon they happened to find and use was the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Whatever you decide, make sure it happens fast. If you kill off the ranger at the end of a session, don't take longer than 30-40 minutes for the sword mage to join them at the next session.