Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arrrthritis posted:

I've also noticed that in every campaign we've played, the have been literally NO puzzles or riddles, or even conversational roleplaying. The DM just didn't like to do any of it. So, as a first time DM, should I take my chances with this group and incorporate some of those elements? Would I be better off running a combat-oriented campaign?

This seems like something that you ought to ask your players directly. It'll save you a lot of grief just to learn what they want beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Give them about as much information as the average person has about the scary evil empires in the real world, and make it about as hard to get the real scoop on them as it is in real life. I don't think most people are very knowledgeable about the rest of the world at all. For example, ask someone on the street about Iran and you'll maybe get this much:

-It's a big desert country next to the other big desert country we invaded
-They're bad guys
-They're muslims
-Their leader, ackmedinasomething, is a smug prick with a sweet dinner jacket
-They're trying to make A-bombs
-There are riots going there right now

Not all of which is necessarily either objective or true!