Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
It's also good to keep in mind that you're not writing a Novel, or a TV show, or a Movie, even if you roughly plan for it to turn out like one. Obviously you want some drama and excitement, cool poo poo going down, but the trick is that usually it's the heroes who are doing said cool poo poo - saying the memorable lines, making the heroic decisions, or coming up with a genius plan at the last moment - and that's the one element you don't have any control over.

Imagine if an author had no control over the protagonists, only the settings and villains. It's really hard to make those awesome scenes you might be imagining happen if you just flat out don't know whether the hero is going to swing in dramatically at the last minute or not. You can do it through cheesy rail-roadish hints "Well, you do have the rope in your hand... you could swing down there..." but that's pretty lame.

So just kind of to echo what people have been saying already: Present the players with some cool scenarios, but be prepared for them to do the complete opposite thing that you were imagining them to do and roll with it. That's kind of half the point of these games, anyway. If they always just responded exactly how you wanted, then honestly, what do you need them around for anyway?

The story that you wind up with at the end of the night doesn't have to be perfect, you're not trying to sell it to anyone. It's a lot like Improv Comedy, it doesn't have to be a perfectly crafted and researched joke to get a laugh. Something about the fact that it's being created on the spot makes it resonate even if it's not completely formulated and proven to be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

They shouldn't be able to find anything on the Space Wiki that they couldn't also find through Space Google, or is just otherwise common knowledge. Don't let them use that for anything other than poo poo that you would have just flat out told them, anyway, but with some fun in-game flavor.

I mean, think about what you could actually find through Wiki today. Some useful poo poo, but no government plans or blueprints to federal buildings or anything. You couldn't formulate an attack plan on north korea with the information you'd find there.

That bit about finding more information on some obscure cartoon series than anything actually useful would be a great way to handle it. If anything the future Wiki is going to be worse than it is today.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Luebbi posted:

Everyone in my group has a family, a job, and some have other stuff to do. They all love to play, but sometimes someone can't make it - that's punishment enough.

Hey look, something that makes sense!

What's with all this "play hard" poo poo? This is a fantasy role play game not some X-treme sport.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

even worse username posted:

Gotcha, but what I was really interested in at this point was how your GM handles in in-game rationalization of this kind of thing

First off I would need an in-game rationalization to explain away "Levels" and "experience points" and all that poo poo first, before it would bother me that I don't have an in-game rationalization for why all of the players are the same level at the same time, always.

Luckily, I don't need any of that, because I don't need any of the poo poo that comes along with trying to like "punish" my friends for having to do things other than roll dice and drink beers. Which I'm sure they'd rather be doing than an awkward family dinner, or work.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

even worse username posted:

Don't worry, I believe you, you're way cooler than me.

You're finally starting to make sense.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Will you shut the gently caress up with this little goon slap fight?

Your mother!

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

The sitting around a camp-fire scene was pretty cool in Conan ("What is good in life?" and all that), but it's a little awkward in DnD. I've actually found that players are more likely to role play during exciting scenes rather than down time "let's hang out and chat" scenes. I mean, the characters want to rest and relax and socialize after all the poo poo they've been through, that's fine, but the players showed up to roll some dice and solve some problems, to have some excitement. I dunno, I wouldn't be into it either.

And ya know, some people just don't like to role play. Or they feel awkward specifically talking in character and would rather just emote-role play ("I tell them about the map my character found" rather than "Hey guys I found a map!"). It's no big deal, there are other aspects of the game they probably enjoy. As long as you're all still having a good time, it shouldn't be a problem. But let me tell you, forcing them to role play when they don't want to isn't going to get you anything that you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

The Dregs posted:

Has anyone ever run for complete noobs who have never opened a rulebook, or children? Some advice would be appreciated

Just make sure you do all the math for them so that they can just throw a die and add a number. I've seen the math kill peoples interest first hand.

I guess I'm thinking the stuff that's fun or exciting for us, like a balanced combat system, is going to be boring to someone just getting started. So you're not going to wow them with how dynamic their characters are or whatever. Think back to what was originally fun about these games to you.

Let them improvise and do the crazy stuff they come up with. Say "Yes!" I feel like it might be easy to try to train them in the "right" way to play but let them figure out what they like.