Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Does anyone have any experience doing a Heist in DnD?

So far what I've gathered is:

-Stack the odds against the players (tell them it can't be done, dissuade them, etc.)
-Have lots of work for skill checks and preparations
-Have options for successes/failures on every step

What I'm thinking is having them steal a precious object that is inside a cube which is enchanted with dimensional door (think Harry Potter Portkey) and the cube is housed in a secure vault.

Obviously a bit of an Inception riff but I was just wondering if anyone had ideas/stories of structuring multiple levels like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

fosborb posted:

I think it depends on the type of heist you want to evoke. It'll generally fall into 3 stages. Planning, Stealing, Running.

If your players get off on intricate plans, give them everything up front and allow a nice, long first act and let their musings guide your final act complications. Let their interest world build for you. Allow them to show off their planning with lots of bonuses during the theft.

If you want ACTION, make stealing part of the planning phase (think Ocean's 11), make the theft simple/fast, and make the escape central to the night (See: theGood, the Bad, the Weird).

The Stealing phase need tension if you're making it a focus of the night. Add a real world timer, or hint at monsters moving in for the kill, or make it occur during a pitched battle. Whatever you do, make the object unquestionably what the players want to get, and then throw everything you can to distract them from it.

Thanks, this is really good advice.

Currently I'm realizing the group I have is not interested in going about adventures the same way I am. This helps me think in terms of "what's the best way to build the adventure for them?" rather than "How do I think the adventure should proceed?"

Is the Good, the Bad and the Weird worth the watch for this campaign?

Edit: What's a good guideline for "I want to make an object that entices my players to go through any lengths to get it, yet is not something I mind them as a group having"?

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

AlphaDog posted:

Be careful about the "tell them it can't be done" part. I mean, yeah, it's supposed to look impossible, but the GM flatly saying "it's impossible", even through an NPC, can be really offputting. I'd phrase it like "That's impossible! Even if you somehow got through the 7 sealed vault doors and whatever the magic trap is, there's still 150 guards to deal with and the building will have turned itself into a fortress!" There you go, now it's only impossible if you don't have a plan...

The real crown. Who's that wearing a fake one and sitting on the throne?

This is perfect, part of the hook of the last adventure is that they found the King's Crown with a dead homunculus. Their Nemesis right now is an Arcane Trickster going around using the cubes to "shrink" rooms inside his own personal containment, who has also taken: a bank vault, a gallery, a barracks and other such stuff.

Having the crown revealed to be a fake gives them a huge hook into getting fully into the graces of the new city and restoring their honor.

That's also more of what I meant by the "It's 'impossible' [without a plan]".

Thanks goons!

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Anyone have any advice on how to insert a new PC?

Currently the party is going through a dungeon, a spatial 4 dimensional representation of places and rooms in a 3 dimensional space. Where they visit parts of their past and present to hunt down the bad guy who is stealing all of these rooms and hoarding them in this multi-dimensional prison.

We had one player permanently drop out and we're adding a new guy who hasn't had much D&D experience. Basically it feels really weird to randomly insert him into these rooms I've had built, and the guy is too new to really have a good RP skill to join the party. Any suggestions besides just brute forcing him into one of the rooms?

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

HatfulOfHollow posted:

This is an awesome hook. New PC wandering the hallways freaks out "What?! I was traveling with you for the past 3 days... And I just saw you all die."

Agreed, thank you Ninja Debugger, this works really well.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
So playing 5th for about 10 sessions, and my group is heading towards a "stopping" point. By which I mean they've finished a big dungeon after getting locked in a separate dungeon (they wanted to go back and full clear the 1st one). So they haven't had a lot of time to offload their gear and buy new stuff.

They're going to be level 7 and they're pretty loot/battle driven, does anyone have any advice about how to reward players without having to worry about power creep? 5th is a lot more restrictive on magic items, and I feel like they should be level 10 before they hit the +2 modifiers.

My current plan was to have them return a quest item to a Sorcerer who just happens to have his well off magical merchant buddy by for tea so they can sell/buy some items.

I was also planning on doing a "Previous Tier" Wrap-Up to close plot threads and just give a general sense of what happened in the campaign so far.

Is that a good plan? I feel like I've taken the story telling reins lately and I thought it would be cool to poll some ideas of what the group would like to do next.

In recapping the campaign I thought I could do a: "This is where your character was, this is where they find themselves now, where do they want to go?" but I'm sure that will lead to six divergent ideas.

This feels very rambley so I guess I'll just sum up:

-How do people deal with item level transitions?
-What's a good procedure for "break" sessions, and how do you reignite the adventuring fire?

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
I have a weird question.

One of my party members is pretty artistic and has been creating portraits of scenes that have happened in our campaign.

It's very cool and awesome as a DM to have your scenarios come to life like that.

How should I go about rewarding him for these sketches without feeling like favoritism?

We're playing a homebrew 5th Edition world with little magic, so giving him a magic item seems like too large of boon, but merely giving him an Inspiration die doesn't seem enough.

Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Baronjutter posted:

Many of the games I've run have involved some sort of base or town the players control or are heavily involved with and shape as the game goes on. For a lot of players something like this is like crack, it's something to pour treasure into and avoids the cycle of just endlessly buying better equipment. They're also handy for being a place to stash players that can't make it to a session. "oh, they're back at the town working on important project Y".

It can also be a big ol' ball and chain around them the moment they become emotionally invested. It's their home, it's their investment, so they're going to defend it and fuss over it. The player's base can be a huge source of plots and adventures. It's of course important not to make the entire game about base management (unless your pc's love that poo poo) and to not make them feel totally trapped dealing with the town. If the idea of base/town burning to the ground fills your players with a sense of finally being free to adventure, you're not implementing it right.

I just had this happen in my homebrew world where they saved the city from the BBEG's plans of destroying the giant-fuckoff-crystal that powered the city. The difficult part was they saved it by the Paladin being overcome with Divine Might and shotputting the crystal out of the city. Mayor says, "Thanks for saving the town but we need that crystal back and powering the city."

They decide to work with local wizards, including one they've met who specializes in large scale lifting of things/people/cities. When I asked them what they wanted for a reward, they decided to improve the city and "correct" the collateral damage of their time their (Rebuild the library that they fought a fire elemental in, make the Mayor fund an Orphanage, etc.). It was pretty special that they wanted to help the city instead of being a bunch of item grabbing hussies. How can I help reward them for doing more than just "saving the city, getting laid and bouncing"? I was going to throw them a parade but I was hoping that you might have some better insight.

Also they're in a world where elementals power old technology. They were conscripted by the (then unknown to be) BBEG to find a Wind Spirit to power a Gyrocopter. Many betrayals later, the Wind Spirit (Zep) gave them the finger and shot off, fickle and pissed at the party for letting him be captured. Now they want to try to get him back to power their reclaimed/refurbished Gyrocopter, except as a bad DM I've left the character undeveloped in his motivations or how the party can find them. I've thought of putting him in a "Damsel in Distress" trope (Caught in a Spiderweb or something), but that seems cliche. The other idea I had was a Wind Spirit related to Zep also comes to track him down because he must owe some sort of debt/is a prodical elemental wind prince and needs to prove his worth.

Ideas?