Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wet sector
Jul 16, 2006
computer updated... computer updated...
A few friends and I decided to start playing D&D, and I've opted to be the DM. We're playing with the basic rule guide and the 'Keep on the Shadowfell' campaign that you can download on Wizard's website. However, I've never DM'd or even played D&D, and no one in our group has any experience with the game either. Does anyone have advice for a budding DM? I've read the rules and the first few parts of the campaign, but I'm worried about being able to take the countless rules and storylines and turn them into a comprehensible game for everyone. I've got a bunch of questions too:

We only have 4 people including myself, and I was planning on having my own character in the game as well as being the DM. Is there any standard etiquette for doing this? My plan was to have my character be completely mute and introverted so he doesn't ever have a role where he has to lead people.

What if a player wants to do something completely off the wall? For example, if I want my wizard to tie down a goblin with rope and torture him with a fire spell, how do I do this?

We're a bunch of assholes, and I foresee many, many backstabbings taking place which lead to character death. Is there an easy way to implement resurrection so this isn't a serious issue?

Thanks for any help guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU