Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

The delightful township of Hastings

edit: Since its a new page, an image taken last weekend

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

OK, bit far for me to come from auckland haha

Nice images though!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm having difficulty understanding from Astrogear's website which astro-mod I should go for with my Sony Alpha7R. As far as I can tell, it would make sense to choose the first option (UV/IR blocking bluish filter removal only), and pair it with this Astronomik clip-in light pollution filter. However, the combined cost of the mod and the filter is $400, which is $50 more expensive than mod #2 (Enhanced Spectrum Conversion with Optolong Luminance Filter). Is the drawback of option #2 that the Optolong filter is a permanent installation and can never be swapped out for any other type of filter (like a Ha-filter) in the future? I can't quite figure out why they refer to #1 as the less expensive version if you are inevitably going to pair it with a filter of some type.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thinking about possibly buying some stuff for the eclipse. anyone have a reputable source for glasses? using amazon for something like this kinda wigs me out. also contemplating a solar filter for my 6" dob (skywatcher i think)

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

thinking about possibly buying some stuff for the eclipse. anyone have a reputable source for glasses? using amazon for something like this kinda wigs me out. also contemplating a solar filter for my 6" dob (skywatcher i think)

Check out Agena Astro and High Point Scientific.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Hi astro friends. One of my oldest friends just died suddenly after a short illness. He was an astro and landscape photographer, starting his job as a hobby taking photos of the Perseid meteor shower from the beach in Turkey where we spent every summer, before managing to turn it into a full-time job and travelling the world with it, eventually writing the magnum opus of astrophotography "photographing the night sky".

He leaves behind a wealth of gorgeous art, as well as an informative and inspirational YouTube page with a wealth of videos on how to photograph all sorts of astronomical phenomena. I'm gonna leave some links here because maybe his work can be helpful for some of you as it was for thousands of others.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AlynWallace

https://www.instagram.com/alynwallace?igsh=MXV1ODdrcXhucDhzeg==

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat, a goon knew Alyn Wallace? Talk about a legend in the field.

Wish I could have met him but it's a big world.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Really terrible news, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm new to the hobby and have really enjoyed watching his videos this past year or so. He seemed like a good soul.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Well, silly me, I should have expected that he'd already be known in these parts. It's some consolation to his parents, at least, to see the thousands of comments from people who he inspired or helped in the astro community.

Jewmanji posted:

Really terrible news, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm new to the hobby and have really enjoyed watching his videos this past year or so. He seemed like a good soul.

A good and also wild soul that lived more in his short years than most would with 100. His persona in his astro videos always amused me because he comes across so gentle and softly spoken, which he could be, but most of the time I knew him we were getting up to all sorts of silly poo poo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Absolutely amazing photos and art. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. Big hugs, goon friend.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm sorry to hear about your friend passing :(

Gorgeous and talented work

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
oh no

oh nooooooo

My amateur astronomy club wants to make me an officer

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Well, silly me, I should have expected that he'd already be known in these parts. It's some consolation to his parents, at least, to see the thousands of comments from people who he inspired or helped in the astro community.

A good and also wild soul that lived more in his short years than most would with 100. His persona in his astro videos always amused me because he comes across so gentle and softly spoken, which he could be, but most of the time I knew him we were getting up to all sorts of silly poo poo.
He was an amazing photographer and sounds like a great guy.

I'll paraphrase what John Dobson told me after I met him at his 90th birthday party: If you want to do something to remember him by, find a place to set up a telescope if you can, and encourage people to look at the sky.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's game day.

Good luck to all of you chasing the eclipse. I have my ten-inch Dobsonian telescope packed in my back seat, a cooler, drawing pad and tackle box, and a whole lot of hope things work out for viewing.

Didn't think I'd be diverting from Erie, Pennsylvania to Akron, Ohio, but here we go.

Clear skies.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

looks like we maaaaay get a window through the clouds here in ontario. thankfully im not going too far out of my way so if its a bust its not so big a deal (aside from disappointing my kids). laffo at all the clowns making a big thing about this in niagara tho

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
I have three scopes at the helm for today. I'm only going to see 97% coverage or so from home, but I didn't want to join the masses and traffic. gently caress that noise.

Seestar s50 for a time lapse video, 8SE for regular photos and a 10" dob for viewing - all with proper solar filters..yadda, yadda, yadda.

Sidenote: I wonder how many idiots are going to damage their eyes with knock-off viewing glasses. Seems there's a lot of fakes and counterfeits on the market. A new discount store opened near me called "Insane Deals" and they have been selling the glasses for 99 cents. Someone posted one online and it was a clear counterfeit. It may work or it may not. For their sake I hope Chinese quality control existed for these counterfeits.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i doubt there's too many eclipse glasses that will blind people on the market. the no-name chinese version from amazon was fine last year, it was fine in 2017, and i see no reason that it wouldn't be fine today.

it's hard to even know what you mean by 'conterfeit eclipse glasses.' they are not generally brand-name items, and i can't really see places biting on baader/celestron/whoever's name. they're pretty easy to make, too, so it's not like there are a ton of corners to be cut in the first place

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Achmed Jones posted:

i doubt there's too many eclipse glasses that will blind people on the market. the no-name chinese version from amazon was fine last year, it was fine in 2017, and i see no reason that it wouldn't be fine today.

it's hard to even know what you mean by 'conterfeit eclipse glasses.' they are not generally brand-name items, and i can't really see places biting on baader/celestron/whoever's name. they're pretty easy to make, too, so it's not like there are a ton of corners to be cut in the first place

A lot of the eclipse glasses are made by American Paper Optics in Tennessee for a variety of brands including those sold by Explore Scientific. The Chinese counterfeits list APO is the company of manufacturer, but the tell is they lack the address, country of manufacturer and bar code. Those counterfeits are suppose to be okay, but need to be checked individually.

However, then there's the fakes which have showed up in the streets on NYC and elsewhere under the Qiwei manufacturer. These are the potentially dangerous ones as they did indeed cheap out on the materials and it's like looking through a pair of sunglasses opposed to the good material that blocks out everything except enough light to see the sun. The American Astronomical Society has details on their website about it.

https://aas.org/press/american-astronomical-society-warns-counterfeit-fake-eclipse-glasses

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hope you all have good conditions!

We're only getting something like 30ish % today, but I made the journey to the desert of Idaho for 2017 which I'll remember forever.

Looks like for Aug 2044 I won't have to go anywhere for totality, here's hoping I'm still on the right side of the dirt.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm directly in the path of totality so i'm hoping the clouds hold out! Lot of Cirrus clouds but nothing else so far, so here's hoping i'm able to get some decent photos! Good news is I'll be able to just walk out in my driveway and see it so I don't have to lug my stuff very far :v:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Liquid Chicken posted:

I have three scopes at the helm for today. I'm only going to see 97% coverage or so from home, but I didn't want to join the masses and traffic. gently caress that noise.

This is why my plan was to get to Erie Akron as early as possible and leave for home at like 8 pm. 97% is too close to miss out on it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i only had about 50% coverage at peak, but as i was looking at it through my telescope, a passenger plane crossed the sun's disk

so that was probably the rarest event i'll ever see in my life. i just happened to be looking down at the time instead of playing with my phone's camera or something. very cool to have seen something like that.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I know this isn't super amazing so please forgive me. My 70mm refractor was just slightly out of focus because of how utterly nervous I was about missing it :shobon:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't sell yourself short, that's an amazing shot!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

T1g4h posted:

I know this isn't super amazing so please forgive me. My 70mm refractor was just slightly out of focus because of how utterly nervous I was about missing it :shobon:

That's awesome and thanks for sharing so fast!

I stayed home so nothing super special here, but I love your shot.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
This is what you get at 97% with the SeeStar. Better than a kick to the head. I'll have to check to see what the Olympus TG-6 did on the 8SE.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously it's too late to give advice but if you were at the 97% region you really shoulda made the effort to get to 100%. The experience is completely different.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

xzzy posted:

Obviously it's too late to give advice but if you were at the 97% region you really shoulda made the effort to get to 100%. The experience is completely different.

I wish I could have, but the kids has testing today and wife had to work. I was homebound without other options. It is what it is. Actually, I'm happier that it was actually fricking clear last night and not brutally cold. I was able to start viewing galaxies again with my own eyes with the 16" dob. Tis the season.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i am jealous of your 16" dob

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

T1g4h posted:

This is incredible, seeing what those red spots were up close :allears:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

We were supposed to be 60-80% cloud covered in my suburb south of Cleveland and instead got a virtually perfect sky. I got over 1800 images With my Seestar in my time lapse, but I'll share these last two shots. So happy with this little scope.

T1g4h posted:

That is gorgeous!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have more to post when I get back home to Pittsburgh. One of our telescopes had a hydrogen-alpha eyepiece for looking at the surface of the sun. I'm confident that the middle prominence is the one that stuck out during totality. We figure it was two or three Earth-diameters in length.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Just wanted to share the photo we got somewhere. Handheld camera shot of some sort during totality. Crossposting from space thread.

First eclipse, insane experience, glad I traveled six hours and climbed a mountain to see it.

Being able to see that solar flare with my bare eyes was insane, I never imaged such a thing would be possible. I really enjoyed the insane banding effect all over the snow landscape right after totality as well.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Also I'm sure everyone is sick of them by now, but I'm still stoked about getting some good shots during totality for my first try.

Shameless share from 2017. I wasn't able to make it to totality this year, so didn't bother busting out the equipment for 85%. 2017 eclipse is still one of the coolest experiences of my life.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I really enjoyed the insane banding effect all over the snow landscape right after totality as well.

I saw this too, on the grass I was sitting on. What caused this?

simble
May 11, 2004

They’re called shadow bands and we don’t really know. The leading theory is that it’s caused by the atmosphere.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

simble posted:

They’re called shadow bands and we don’t really know. The leading theory is that it’s caused by the atmosphere.

It seemed to me like faint clouds. I could only see them very close to totality. I figured in other circumstances it was too bright to see them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Count Roland posted:

It seemed to me like faint clouds. I could only see them very close to totality. I figured in other circumstances it was too bright to see them.

They are pretty low contrast so it seems reasonable that we're unable to see them with too much sun. I don't think they've ever been reported on an annular.

A total eclipse with a blanket of snow seems the most reliable.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Shadow bands are because the nearly-eclipsed sun is just a pinpoint source getting refracted through the turbulence of the atmosphere. It’s the same concept as atmospheric seeing or stars twinkling; the smaller the angular diameter of the light source, there’s less apparent area to average out the variations.

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Has anyone found any stupid high res shots of the eclipse? I want to use one as a desktop background.
I traveled to Erie for the eclipse. Totality was amazing, the drive home sucked (7.5 hrs). My wife said it was a lot of effort for 3 minutes, I told her that's the story of my life.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 9, 2024