Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Hi astro friends. One of my oldest friends just died suddenly after a short illness. He was an astro and landscape photographer, starting his job as a hobby taking photos of the Perseid meteor shower from the beach in Turkey where we spent every summer, before managing to turn it into a full-time job and travelling the world with it, eventually writing the magnum opus of astrophotography "photographing the night sky".

He leaves behind a wealth of gorgeous art, as well as an informative and inspirational YouTube page with a wealth of videos on how to photograph all sorts of astronomical phenomena. I'm gonna leave some links here because maybe his work can be helpful for some of you as it was for thousands of others.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AlynWallace

https://www.instagram.com/alynwallace?igsh=MXV1ODdrcXhucDhzeg==

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Well, silly me, I should have expected that he'd already be known in these parts. It's some consolation to his parents, at least, to see the thousands of comments from people who he inspired or helped in the astro community.

Jewmanji posted:

Really terrible news, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm new to the hobby and have really enjoyed watching his videos this past year or so. He seemed like a good soul.

A good and also wild soul that lived more in his short years than most would with 100. His persona in his astro videos always amused me because he comes across so gentle and softly spoken, which he could be, but most of the time I knew him we were getting up to all sorts of silly poo poo.