Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

I made a thread in the Coupons forum about the Galileoscope. It is a small telescope developed for the International Year of Astronomy, and it cost me only $23.95 after shipping. It appears to be of good quality for the very low price. However, there is high demand, so I do not expect mine until July at the earliest.

For only $12.50, you can donate a telescope anonymously to someone elsewhere in the world who can benefit from learning about the sky.

Galileoscope website, with specifications and ordering information

Coupons Thread

Pictures taken with the Galileoscope, which I found on the website:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

I just got my Galileoscope (see my earlier post) today! Assembling it was fun and I've looked at some distant buildings with it. I haven't been able to look at planets or stars yet as it is day time, but I picked up the book that was recommended in the OP, Turn Left at Orion.

I ordered this May 29 and got it July 18, but I think anyone who orders this now will receive it in less time than I did.

Here's a photo of it, I put it on a cheap tripod that I got from Radio Shack.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

blugu64 posted:

I ordered mine in February and am still waiting :( Got a chance to try it out yet?

EDIT: Whoo just got it!

Yeah, I tried it out, it's pretty cool. You need a reasonably stable tripod, the one in the picture sucks but I was able to borrow a better one. I looked at Venus (which was just plain bright) and the Pleiades, which looked pretty with lots of stars. I could see all four of Jupiter's easy to see moons, they were all neatly lined up on one side of the planet. Earth's Moon was a very thin crescent but I could make out some craters.

Next time I'll plan things out better and look for something other than the planets.

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

blugu64 posted:

Played around with the Galileoscope, looking at jupiter. Holy poo poo first time I saw Jupiter's moons, I counted 6. Still best $15 bucks spent in a while.

Try looking at a star cluster, like the Pleiades, or some other one!

Last night I looked at Jupiter before the Moon came up, and I could actually make out two darker stripes in its atmosphere!

A few nights before, it was a bit hazy, and I tried to look at Mizar and Alcor, and I was pleased that the Galileoscope could separate them. Then when I went inside I found out that that's supposed to be possible with the naked eye! Light pollution sucks!