Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Hey astrogoons. This might seem a rather mundane question, but how does temperature effect your observation sessions, and how does it effect the equipment? I know there's less turbulance in colder weather, but that's about it. I've been thinking of getting back into astronomy (used to do it when I was a kid) since it'd be a good winter hobby (I live in Alaska, so it's dark all drat day in the winter).

edit: I love technology! I've discovered that I can comfortably operate a telescope remotely from the comfort of my computer so I don't have to freeze to death.

cerror fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Oh! I bet I could get some nice aurora borealis pics without even needing a scope. That stuff is constantly shifting around and changing so long exposure shots might look pretty interesting. :3:

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Hi all! Got my fancy new Meade DS-2130 yesterday and took it out for a test run tonight. There were a few clouds around, plus trees, the house, etc. to block my view, but I did get some really nice views of a few nebulas and galaxies.

Space totally owns.

I think I'm going to blow my PFD this year on a fancy camera to do some astrophotography. :dance:

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Hey astrogoons, I have a dumb question.

To calibrate my robotic mount, I'm supposed to point it north and then run it through its calibration routine. Celestial north from my location is about 19 degrees to the west of magnetic north.

So, to set it up, I'd just find magnetic north with my compass and then turn the scope left until the compass reads 19 degrees to the east, right?

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Jekub posted:

I'm sure there will be plenty of good advice online if your manual isn't clear, let us know when scope and mount it is.

It's a Meade DS-2130LNT with the motorized mount that it came with. The manual just said to make sure it's pointed north before running the computer through its calibration routine.

Your advice about finding polaris sounds like it's probably the easiest way to go about it without monkeying around with a compass. I feel kind of silly for not thinking of that. :downs:

On another note, it's been overcast for days, but it's crystal clear out this morning, so hopefully the weather stays nice so I can look at some stuff tonight (probably mostly just the moon).

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Jekub posted:

I found this image for another discussion, figured people in here would be interested to, it puts the Moon and Andromeda in the same frame at same scale. Giving you a good idea of just how large the Andromeda galaxy is relative to the night sky.

http://www.noao.edu/image_gallery/html/im0606.html

Holy crap! That's huge! I'll definitely try to spot that if the light pollution from the moon isn't too bad.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

That's alright. The moon is still pretty drat awesome to look at in detail.

Also, since solar activity seems to be pretty minimal maybe that drat aurora borealis will leave me alone this winter.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Well, finally had the first clear night in 2 weeks. Got out my shiney new telescope and saw a few galaxies and nebula. Unfortunately, the light from the houses in the neighborhood and the passing cars kept screwing up my view. I could probably get a better view of those galaxies if I had a camera that'd do long exposure though. M31 looked pretty awesome without one though. :)

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Aligning the autostar system is also pretty easy after the first time. It slewed over to align on Capella and I'm like, "Okay, it must be that bright star right there, I'll see if I can find it in the scope with a 25mm lens." So I slew around on slow-mode a bit looking for it. There were so many stars that I wasn't sure which one it was, then into view comes, "BLARGH!?! I'm a motherfuckin' star, bitch!"

Must of been the right one. :science:

edit: oh hey, it's actually 4 stars in 2 binary pairs. :aaa:

cerror fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 13, 2009

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

My Meade Deep Sky Imager Pro II just arrived!

Now I just have to wait for the clouds to go away.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

blugu64 posted:

I think I saw andromeda in my galileoscope last night. Hard to find, and it was just a gray-ish mass. Need more power I guess. Also while gawking at pleiades a meteor flew across my field of view. :awesome:

Like others mentioned, it's just a matter of how much light your scope is collecting. With my 5" reflector Andromeda is pretty obvious, though I don't get much detail. A series of long exposures with a camera though, and voila!

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I made this animation with my Meade DSI. Unfortunately it was so drat cold that condensation became ice and screwed up my view. According to autostar the temp of the camera was hovering around -9C.

Anyway, here's my blurry timelapse of the moon moving across the field of view at 1 frame per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I spotted a neat thing last night. I was standing outside having a smoke and noticed a really bright object that reminded me of Jupiter. However, it wasn't where Jupiter normally is. Then it faded a bit to look more like a star, and I noticed that it was moving. It was moving pretty fast, in fact! It was in view for about a minute before disappearing behind the trees. After doing some research, it turns out that I saw the second stage of an Ariane 42P rocket. :v: