Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm far from an expert, but my 10" dobsonian came with one and everything in read implied that it was largely pointless on anything smaller

Edit: pic with cats in the way, sorry

Convert your telescope to shoot cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I tried to this morning at about 5:30, but that might have been too late. I'll have to try again tomorrow when I go in at 4 am and look again at about 4:30.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Number_6 posted:

Dammit, I didn't find out about this comet until Friday night. Why isn't a naked-eye comet front page news on every website? At my location (Austin) it's been too hazy to see it Saturday morning and this morning. (It will be perfectly clear overnight until 4 am and then a #$%& hazy scud layer forms.)

Unless it's Halley's Comet or a comet like Hale-Bopp, no one gives a poo poo. It needs to be visible at night and up high for people to notice or care. McNaught went mostly unnoticed in the northern hemisphere and Lovejoy was too far south. Most naked eye comets are only visiblemduring sunrise or sunset and human settlements block so much of the horizon that you have to get out to see it. Even in my dumpster town in Wyomin there are so many trees in people's yards that I have to get out into the country to see the horizon.

McNaught was apparently visible in daylight even in northern latitudes and I still beat myself up for missing it. I even read about it while it was visible too.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 12, 2020

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I really need a telescope in my life again.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Poopelyse posted:

Small town wyoming so fairly dark.

Oh poo poo what part? I'm in Riverton.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Poopelyse posted:

Laramie! not quite as small as Riverton lol

It is this time of year :v:

I've had a chance to use the telescope on top of whichever science building at UW before when I took astronomy 1010. It was pretty weird seeing everything in green because of their distance and other factors.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Hi, I'm like the one person on earth that never liked the Buckhorn. I just would rather sit down and chill at the Library...if it was still there.

I'm not sure if I want to pick up an optical telescope or if I should go for something else.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Besides astrophotography, what advantages does an refracting telescope have over a reflecting telescope?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You can even see the Galilean moons without binoculars. Maybe. Supposedly.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm not sure which is sadder: That I heard someone say a satellite was moving into Leo Minor, or that I knew what the gently caress the guy was actually talking about.

I also joined an amateur astronomy organization. I get to learn how to operate their bigass telescopes after a year of good standing. I took a lovely cell phone picture of the Moon through their 22-inch reflecting telescope.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 4, 2022

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Now that I'm in an amateur astronomy group, I'm leaning pretty hard on having my own telescope.

I seem to recall that around $300 to $400 is a good starting point on getting a refractor telescope. I can probably get something used that's pretty good for that amount of money if I can find it, but is a 4-inch refractor telescope at that price point a decent buy-in if I got it new?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
double post

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm leaning pretty hard on a refracting telescope because it seems like there's little to no prep for getting it out and using it. I also rent a one bedroom apartment, so storage for a bigass dobsonian telescope is an issue.

A Celestron 102AZ (or similar) was what I was looking into buying if I get something new, and I figured a better mount was going to be the first thing I'd need to upgrade. When they come off backorder or I find one from a different retailer, I'm just going to have to baby it until I can upgrade. Fortunately the park I have access to as an AAAP member is nice and flat. Too bad the glow from Pittsburgh's light pollution is visible over the hills on the south of it.

What does a decent mount end up going for new?

Star Man fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 9, 2022

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I do have a pair of binoculars that have been in the family for a while, and I did take them with me to my first star party in June. I know they're better for stuff like the Hyades and I think they can resolve the moons of Jupiter.

The folks in the association I've joined have answered some questions about what kind of gear is needed to see a lot of deep sky objects and it takes a pretty fuckin big shaft to see a lot of the things I thought I could find when I was ten with whatever it was that my parents gave me for Christmas in 1996. Really I just want something I can take out to a friend's house or be able to call the shots when I go to a star party with my own gear. If I need access to better equipment, I now have a group of people willing to share that I can reach out to. After a year of good standing, I can get training on how to use the big poo poo at the two observatories.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PerniciousKnid posted:

I store my dob in the basement, what a pain in the rear end.

I live on the third floor :v:

duodenum posted:

If you’re in the city, have space constraints, and are mostly going to be looking at bright high-ish magnification targets, you should get a mak. Even if you wanted to see all the Pleiades at once, with a 102mm mak, you can still do that with an ES68/34mm.

Maks are low to no maintenance, lightweight, short, and MUCH easier to mount steadily than the equivalent refractor. The high focal ratio is easy on cheap eyepieces like the Svbony Redlines mentioned earlier.

Ge those 4 redlines, eventually improve the stock diagonal, eventually go to scopestuff and get an upgraded visual back. (The cheap set screw stuff is only barely good enough.). Get a solar filter maybe for good sunspot days.

All you need is an alt az mount with slow motion controls to keep Jupiter in the eyepiece. That 6mm redline gets you to over 200x with the 102mm mak, which (floaters notwithstanding) will be a nice view come opposition time.

I drive a Ford Escape, so lugging a refracting telescope isn't an issue. Really as long as it's something I can fit under my bed or in my closet in its case or bag, I can make do. I'll look into a mak too.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Went to another star party last weekend and got that itch again for my own hardware.

I did come across a website that had some breakdowns on the quality of different manufacturers. I'm not sure of the accuracy of their claims about the build quality being worse for a lot of telescope brands, but it's factored into my search.

I've got a contractually-mandated backpay check coming in October from my old job as a postal clerk, and I plan on sinking that into a telescope. This mak by Explore Scientific seems to hit a sweet spot for planets and open clusters binary stars.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 8, 2022

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/AJamesMcCarthy/status/1600749501664612353

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

slidebite posted:

I'm just imagining going to a star party and being called a loser by another star party attendee lol

Which is more pathetic--someone saying that a satellite is moving through Leo Minor; or listening to that and knowing what they're talking about?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Most people just think that any light pollution means they can't see anything at all, and don't even bother trying to look.

Not that there's much to see because it's a dim object, the weather's lovely, and a full or gibbous moon fucks things up.

It just saddens me that only freaks with strange hobbies can find the Big Dipper without an app.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PerniciousKnid posted:

How much of the population can even see the big dipper?

More than people think. A lot of the issue is that people don't even know what they're looking at or for. But I think people just don't ever look up in the first place, even where light pollution isn't bad.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I was that kid that had developed an interest in astronomy in second grade in 1995. And of course because I was that kid that wore his interests on his sleeve, I just got told all the time that Hyakutake was going to crash and kill me.

I wish I had better interests and hobbies.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Growing up in central Wyoming, I'd say that my night sky was Bortle 4 or 5. Ironically, going out of town didn't make things better, because there would be some outrageously bright light on the side of the road to mark a private road always somewhere, and getting away from it required going out somewhere many many miles away or onto private property.

I'm stull surprised by what I can make out where I live in Pittsburgh. I'm at the bottom of a hill in a very hilly area, so the terrain blocks a lot of the light pollution from downtown that would be north of me. On the flip side, I can't see poo poo that isn't up high because of the hills.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Would I be nuts if I tried to mount a six inch dobsonian to a tripod mount?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

duodenum posted:

If you have a standard/common 6" f/8 dob, it would be too heavy and long to mount steady on an equatorial mount. You'd want it on rotating rings because the focuser could end up anywhere, which adds to the complexity and weight. The mirror mount isn't reall y made for rotating around either so you might have collimation problems.

If tracking is what you're looking for, best solution is an equatorial platform or an upgrade to a motorized dob.

I realized after I made that post that I asked a pretty dumb question. I'm just a klutz and getting something like a tabletop Dobsonian was asking for me to trip or kick a leg on a table or underestimate how unstable the ground is and how the telescope fall over.

I think I'm going to give in to earlier suggestions and get a Dobsonian when I can swing it. Turns out an eight inch Dobsonian is not as heavy as I thought it would be. My only other issue is that I'm a big kid, so I'm too tall to look through the eyepiece without craning over. I'll need to get a chair.

I'm just going to save up for this Apertura.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ok Comboomer posted:

why not one of the StarSense Dobs like I’m saving for? (you’ve all convinced me to go for the 10”, btw, will probably aim to buy sometime when the nights get a bit warmer)

It's not the size that matters, but how you use it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The path of totality of the 2024 solar eclipse passes over Cleveland and Erie, Pennsylvania, both of which are two hours from Pittsburgh. I have no doubt that it will be cloudy in April. I'm seriously considering going to Texas to see it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Enos Cabell posted:

We were lucky enough to be in the path of totality for the 2017 eclipse, and it was hands down the coolest natural experience of my life. I think it would be worth the trip to Texas, but you're probably too late to find decent accommodations super close to totality. In Nebraska at least, in 2017, every hotel room in all the tiny towns were reserved at least a year ahead of time. Saw so many people sleeping in their vehicles wherever they could.

The path of totality went over my hometown in Wyoming. I want to see another one something fierce. Mexico may be the better place to go. I've only been there once in 2000 for a day in Nogales. Good thing I have a passport.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have a feeling I'm going to be pushing up to Erie and hoping for the best. I have about a year before the eclipse, but like negative two years to figure out where to see it and be able to stay.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
We might have seen the supernova at last night's star party with a 21-inch reflecting telescope. It was hazy out, the moon ruins everything, and we couldn't make out M101 itself. The telescope operator knows his poo poo, but we were under the impression that the star we could see was the supernova. We'll have to look for it again next month and see if it disappeared or not.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wonder how the market for telescopes and “space stuff” has evolved over the decades. On the one hand you would imagine that the internet and ongoing democratization of computing power and tech would’ve only pushed the hobby forward and to a broader/bigger audience, but AFAIK the hobby of astronomy and sky-gazing has largely shrunk and become more insular in many ways over the past 20 years.

People just don't look up. I have to strap people to a stretcher and hold their eyes open just to get them to look at the moon. You can make out bright constellations even in light pollution, but people don't know what they're looking for and never try. If they are looking up, it is only when they're out of town driving at night and maybe notice something. The only people that know what the Big Dipper is are freaks like me who wore that information on my sleeve and was told Hale-Bopp was going to crash right into my home and kill me by my peers.

You cannot get people to look up. It's just impossible. It's an insular group of people going out and using just their two eyes and nothing else because no one cares. It's the same for getting people to read. No one cares, no one has the time, no one has the curiosity.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PerniciousKnid posted:

But I don't think you should do this.

I have never actually done something like that, yeesh. My point is it is an awful lot of effort to get anyone to even look at a total lunar eclipse on a clear night. All you have to do is go outside and look up. No equipment, no charts, no travel to the country. I can't even get people to do that unless I am there with them and browbeat them into it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I saved up the cash for an Apertura AD10 and a case for it. I bought it.

Oh god.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
IT'S HERE

Star Man fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 13, 2023

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Easiest piece of Ikea furniture I ever built

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

fondue posted:

That's gorgeous! Did you get any accessories with it?

Only what it came with. I'll build up to aftermarket accessories. First I need to get a case for eyepieces and other equipment :v:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I got my telescope collimated and ready to go.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
As much as light pollution sucks, I feel like an even bigger killer of night sky observing is trees.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It was cloudy tonight, but the only thing of note that I saw all night was of course a Starlink train.

Go to hell, Musk.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
After going to monthly star parties since 2022, I've realized that I'm an absolute weirdo among other amateur astronomers because my familiarity with the sky is in constellations and their mythology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Liquid Chicken posted:

As long as one doesn't start to prattle on about astrology, you'll be fine.

I don't do astrology. I don't even mind people who are into it, unless they use it to make major life decisions.

My foundational night sky knowledge came from books like The Space Atlas and Skywatching and beating them into memory in fourth and fifth grade. With it came reading into Greek mythology, and then developed into an interest in classics.

In summary, I'm the humanities major among a bunch if STEMlords.