Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grendelspov
Jun 12, 2008

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can you see nebulae and galaxies directly though the eyepiece? Any color, or do they just look like a smudge or a blotch?

I've had a Meade ETX 60 AT for years and I just bought T and T-mount adapters for my Canon EOS. Should I just point it at Orion, open up the shutter and hope for the best? I guess I'll have to use the motor for slewing the scope for any exposures longer than a few seconds?

On another note, have any of you had any luck with using bright starts to let your scope self-calibrate? Or do you calibrate based on objects you just know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grendelspov
Jun 12, 2008

grover posted:

My area (Hampton Roads, VA) is light polluted all to hell, which hurts.

What's up Hampton Roads buddy! :hfive:

I just got the T-adapter for my 'scope via UPS today. It's supposed to snow here, so it will probably be a few days before I get to try it out.

The other night I tried putting my Canon Rebel DSLR on a tripod and doing some long exposure shots with a wide angle lens. I have to admit, even though I could barely see anything more than the basic outline of Orion, the photos showed some really nice star fields. Nothing to get too excited about, and I was amazed at how much blurring I saw just from leaving the shutter open for a minute.

Can't wait to play around with some moon and planet shots. I'm not ready to take on any shots that require accurate tracking yet.