Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So hey, quick question: Would either of these options be suited for Astrophotography, specifically Deep Sky stuff such as galaxies / nebulae?

https://www.highpointscientific.com/telescopes/celestron-nexstar-102-slt-computerized-telescope-22096
https://www.highpointscientific.com/telescopes/celestron-nexstar-127-slt-computerized-telescope-22097

I have a Meade Infinity 102 that I've been using for lunar photography, as well as a Star Adventurer Pro package and a Canon T2i with an 18-55mm and Sigma 70-300mm that I've been messing around with whenever I get the chance, but I'm looking at computerized setups now more than ever. I'm absolute poo poo at finding Messier objects myself and frankly, my 6'5" self is tired of hunching over to fiddle with my polar alignment or adjust the focus on my T2i's lens :v:

I've already got a T-Ring and 1.25" T-adapter that I use with my Meade, just hoping to find something relatively affordable in the GoTo mount department that I can toss my camera on. I'm really trying to keep my budget under $600 if possible because as-is, either of those options would take a bit to save for and I'm not trying to spend $1k or more :v:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! I genuinely appreciate all of that, you have given me a ton of stuff to bookmark and study tonight.

These are my best 2 shots that I have managed to get as photo tax for all the help and advice! The moon is a composite of probably 6 - 8 shots taken with my Meade Infinity 102, and the Andromeda shot was a pure luck one I managed with my 300mm telephoto. I have a right angle viewfinder on the way that will hopefully make it easier to get my focus sorted out since I won't have to bend at such odd angles to see what i'm doing :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

It's incredible how much difference an eyepiece makes.

My right angle viewfinder for my T2i arrived today so I decided to go out and do a few quick test shots to see if it actually helped. It 100% did, no more contorting myself at awkward angles to try and see how i'm looking or guessing at focus! This isn't amazing, but the important part is it's actually in focus. Vega in the top, Epsilon Lyrae down and left, and Zeta down and right. Considering I did a fairly quick and dirty polar alignment and was shooting with my 300mm telephoto, I'm not at all upset!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yooper posted:

I was basically where you are a bit over a year ago. Hooking up the laptop to the camera opened up ease of focusing and plate solving so I didn't spend a whole night imaging nothing. After solving one glaring issue I'd suddenly discover another one. Ditching the telephoto lens for a prime lens was next, then mount etc. etc.

This was from last night, no calibration frames of any sort (you can see the hot pixels) as my house is a mess of drywall poo poo. Roughly 3 hours of exposure, 30s exposures.

It's the Bubble Nebula, which is really too small for my scope, but it still looks cool with that cluster and nebulosity.

This is beautiful!

simble posted:

No filters for the 2600 yet. Here's another taken with my 294MC.

North America and Pelican Nebulas. 36x3m subs, taken through an Optolong L-enhance filter. Would've been more subs, but I guess my laptop rebooted for an unexplained reason around midnight.

I was messing with my scope and I think I took my flattener out of spec so the stars are a bit stretched in the corner, but :justpost:

I also tried to make the switch from SGP (which recently went to a subscription licensing model) over to NINA and I think NINA has come a loooong way. I'd say at this point it is pretty much at feature parity with SGP. It worked great.

As is this! This thread is seriously getting me excited to try and advance my own astrophotography, y'all are posting some amazing shots!

I managed to get this tonight. Used my Meade Infinity 102 with a 2x Barlow and my T2i. It's not awful, but I can definitely tell i'm going to need a better telescope at some point. The chromatic ab on the Meade is super noticeable unfortunately.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

simble posted:

First light with the new camera and filters.

This is just 1 night so just 110 minutes of Ha, 90 minutes OIII and 100 minutes of SII. No LRGB data, but I will probably get some tonight and try blending the NB nebula with LRGB stars. Should be pretty easy.

The new advanced sequencer in NINA is really good. If you're using NINA and aren't on the nightlies for 1.11 yet, you should be. The polar alignment plugin plus ASTAP for plate solving is also super good. The first time I plate solved with ASTAP after using platesolve2 for so long, I thought it was broken because it was so fast. A nearby solve takes less than a second and a 180 degree blind solve takes maybe 5 seconds. It rules.

This is absolutely beautiful! It's also making me consider an H Alpha filter even more than before.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm still waiting on the IEXOS-100 to come back in stock. Explore Scientific's website still has a restock estimate of July 2021 which has kinda come and gone :haw:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm pretty much convinced M31 is my white whale at this point. Every time I get a night off and the astronomy forecast predicts clear skies and great transparency, clouds end up rolling in out of nowhere by the time I get my gear set up :argh:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm lucky enough to live in rural Arkansas, with a lot of wide open fields in Bortle 2/3 areas maybe 20 minutes from my house. I don't have as much viewing area as someone in, say, the desert because 90% of my surroundings are dense forest, but the ones I do have are awesome :3:

Rip Testes posted:

First bit of imaging for me in quite some time. Would love to do some of this awesome deep sky work in this thread if I ever obtain the gear.

Speaking of awesome, these are both incredible!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I know that this is absolute garbage compared to what everyone else has been posting, and I do apologize for that, but this is legitimately kind of a big deal for me because this is the closest I have gotten to actually capturing M31. It's only 45 minutes or so worth of 30 second exposures, because I ended up having to scrap a TON of shots due to my lens fogging and condensation causing me all sorts of grief, but I actually finally got more than a single 30 second shot of Andromeda and I'm somewhat proud of that! And now I want to go out and try again and try to get even longer exposures, and get multiple hours worth, and... Yeah. I'm kinda stoked :neckbeard:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

simble posted:

This rules! I don't want to share some of my earliest attempts at anything so good for you. I am curious what your setup is.

My setup is nothing special right now, just the basics: Star Adventurer Pro mount, Canon T2i and either a Sigma 70-300mm telephoto for deep sky stuff like Andromeda or the 18-55mm kit lens for more wide stuff like the Milky Way. I'm trying to get an iEXOS-100 but every place I've checked is backordered so i'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting on those to come back in stock :v:

That nebula shot is fantastic btw! Definitely inspiring me to invest more in my gear so I can hopefully one day start attempting that sort of thing!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yooper posted:

Canon has a 50mm lens that's F1.8, it's known as the "nifty fifty" and does really good widefield stuff. The aperture is much faster than the 18-55 kit lens and it's like $125.

Oooh, noted! I actually have a 50mm f/1.4 Yashica and a 50mm f/2 Pentax that I could try, now that you mention it. They're both fully manual lenses, the Yashica from the 60s or 70s and the Pentax from the 80s. They might make for some interesting shots!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

SOON. Should hopefully arrive by Monday, I'm excited to take this thing for a spin and see what kind of photos I can get!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Scored what seems like a super good deal at work tonight! $78 for what is, according to Celestron's website, a 900mm focal length at f/13 doesn't seem too bad at all. I'm excited to try it out in place of my current Meade Infinity 102 for lunar images, and since I already have a 2x Barlow I might even have an excuse to try and view Jupiter finally! :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That is absolutely breathtaking. Your photos are always incredible!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

pumped up for school posted:

Speaking of flame nebula:

I know I'll never get photos like the others in this thread, and I know this target is overdone, but I am pretty happy how this turned out.

I've been practicing my travel setup: no tracker, no guiding. Just a Fuji xt2, Samyang 135, cheap-ish Amazon tripod. Max 1s exposures.

This is 400 1s exposures from last night in my backyard. 100 dark, flat, and bias frames. This was my first time trying Siril, and my first time using photoshop in 20 years. I overdid my reduction of star bloat, for sure. And surely other issues. But going from never taking manual shots a couple of months ago to this, I am pretty excited.

This is awesome! Especially with no tracker or guiding, really well done!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Out of curiosity, do any of y'all have any experience with the PoleMaster? I'm thinking about picking one up around tax return time since the polar scope + adapter combo for my iEXOS-100 is out of stock / backordered everywhere I look. There's no official adapter for my mount, but from the poking around i've done it looks like I can either have one 3D printed or I can buy an adapter to mount it to my dovetail that my DSLR is mounted to. I figure this is a cheaper and easier way of polar aligning than going with a full on dedicated guide camera / guide scope for the time being and it's way better than my current method of "Use my phone along with StarWalk / Stellarium to get everything pointed in vaguely the right area" because the factory boresight on this mount is absolute rear end :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

simble posted:

I'm going to assume that you're talking astrophotography here. What are you using for acquisition? Both NINA ($Free) and Sharpcap ($10 or $15/year, I think) have pretty good polar alignment features. They'll use whatever camera you have. It doesn't have to be a guide camera, and in fact, you could definitely make the argument that using your main imaging camera is more accurate. Both will work with a manual mount and a go to mount.

Astrophotography, yeah. I'm using a Canon T2i with a 70-300mm Sigma for most of my shots. I haven't actually tried NINA / Sharpcap to be totally honest, I've been playing with the stock Explore Scientific app and doing 2 / 3 star alignments that way without ever hooking my camera to my laptop. I genuinely never thought about trying to hook it up if I'm being honest, Explore Scientific's app communicates over WiFi by default so I've been using that. I know it has drivers for ASCOM but I know nothing about that and have never delved into learning it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

simble posted:

Can the polemaster be used without a computer? I genuinely don't know and glancing at the docs it looks like no. If it can, then that would be good enough. If you need a computer anyway, then try one of the apps first. I think you'll find them needs suiting.

For Canon stuff with ASCOM, you'll want this ASCOM driver: https://github.com/FearL0rd/ASCOM.DSLR

Which mount are you using? It sounds like its a goto if you're aligning it with a 2/3 star alignment. With NINA and ASTAP (plate solver) you could ditch your alignment completely by doing a blind plate solve and syncing your mount after a polar alignment. If at that point you wanted to just unplug the computer and use the wifi with a shutter control, you could do that at that point as everything will be aligned and pointing correctly. Or, if you want you can delve into using NINA to do your captures for you. If you do use NINA, use the latest beta version.

Sorry, I should have specified! I'm currently using an iEXOS-100 GoTo mount, controlled over its own WiFi hotspot via laptop and the Explore Scientific ExploreStars app. That's what I mean when I say I have never tried the ASCOM drivers and things like NINA. I know the mount supports them at least, ES has their own set of ASCOM drivers for the iEXOS-100 and I believe a client? Up until now the mount has been collecting dust while I waited on warmer weather, hence me not getting a chance to fully dive into everything :shobon:

I've been using just a normal cable shutter release for the actual camera, and doing all my slewing / GoTo stuff via the laptop and ExploreStars, but if NINA can handle both the actual alignment process and telling the mount where to go, I might have to look into trying that instead. The ExploreStars app is nice since it has all the movement controls and a database of Messier objects, but I'm not opposed to switching if NINA has the same functionality and more, I just don't know anything about it :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Finally had some clear skies and some time to do some astrophotography and I ended up calling it quits in frustration. I feel like it's always something different that I'm having trouble with and I'm just not good enough at it yet. And it feels like it's impossible to actually practice.

Frustrating.

Man, I feel this to the depths of my soul. Between work and constant rain, I have had maybe 2 days where I could set up everything and practice, and both of those times were spent teaching myself how to use NINA and ASTAP. I think I finally worked out everything but I don't have any actual photos to show for it because, go figure, more rain is moving in and I've been busy working :v:

These are awesome.

Raikyn posted:

I don't really know what I'm doing yet, but I took a couple of nebula shots tonight, just single shots
Canon 5dmk4 on a eq6-r mount

These are also awesome! You guys are seriously good at this.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Raikyn posted:

I added a couple more hours to the vela supernova remnant that I had taken earlier. I think the sky was slightly darker this time round as well which helped.
So put it all together
79x180sec ASI294MC + canon 100mm macro lens set to f5 + antlia alp-t filter

This is absolutely stunning!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Looking into replacing my mount.

Are there any equatorial goto mounts that just plain expect that you're going to be hooking them up to a computer? Like, I don't need a hand controller at all, and the ones I'm seeing have you either connect your PC to the mount itself over an RJ-45, or connect the hand controller to that port and let you connect your PC to a USB port on the hand controller. Are there any that just put a friggin' USB port on the mount and let you connect with a bog-standard USB cable without having to dick around with the hand controller or with usb to serial drivers?

Hi friend.

I have an Explore Scientific iEXOS-100, the older version of this, the iEXOS-100-2, and it's surprisingly simple. It's been months since i've done the setup, but you can run it via WiFi or USB using the PMC8 configuration manager and ASCOM drivers. My setup last time I messed with it was just my laptop, iEXOS, Canon T2i, and then two USB cables to connect to the camera and mount with NINA driving everything. You still have to have the drivers but otherwise it's relatively painless! I think you can also control it using an Android tablet but I don't have access to one of those to tell you how well that works.

Downside: polar alignment sucks pretty hard out of the box because you just get a goofy boresight and it's a real pain to use if you're like me and have awful eyesight. You can remedy this with NINA after you get roughly aligned but it's worth noting. Also, the default base doesn't have any fine azimuth adjustment, that's a $100 extra adapter. No, I am not joking. I still need to pick one up.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Man, if I hadn't already sunk a bunch of money into this iEXOS setup i'd be all over one of those, the results are incredible considering just how compact that thing seems!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm directly in the path of totality so i'm hoping the clouds hold out! Lot of Cirrus clouds but nothing else so far, so here's hoping i'm able to get some decent photos! Good news is I'll be able to just walk out in my driveway and see it so I don't have to lug my stuff very far :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I know this isn't super amazing so please forgive me. My 70mm refractor was just slightly out of focus because of how utterly nervous I was about missing it :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

It was visible as far South as Little Rock apparently, because I have friends all over the state who were posting some pretty incredible pictures! I'm sad I was stuck at work all night but i'm living vicariously through them.