Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

It's been sunny and beautiful here the past couple weeks, and had been forecasted to stay clear for the rest of the summer, so I was inspired to finally pull the trigger on some 15x70 celestron binoculars, with the hopes of taking them out tonight.

Now instead of being clear and beautiful it's overcast all night, and worse yet, the rest of the week has changed to thunderstorms, rain and other cloudiness :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Oh man my first lunar eclipse since I've gotten my binos and its clouding over right now :(

Should be clear by totality but I was hoping to watch it move across the moon

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

drat, I only caught faint glimmers of it early in the evening before totality. Next total lunar eclipse here is in 4 years. Well, hopefully my equipment is that much better by then (and the weather!)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I've been watching Mars, Venus and Jupiter close in on each other all month, and today I finally got Venus and Jupiter in one field of view using binocs. Was pretty amazing to see bright rear end Venus only a few degrees from Jupiter and its moons in one view

Can't wait for the 26th-28th when the conjunction is closest, though the forecast says clouds for the next 7 days straight. Hopefully I get at least one clear morning!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Got a 6 inch Dobsonian Sky Watcher for Christmas from my wife, and I got an extra gift from the earth in getting clear skies for the first time in weeks on the same night! Took it out to check out the full moon, the Orion Nebula, the pleiades, and searched for andromeda but couldn't find it before the clouds returned. I already know that my first accessory has to be an angled finder scope, as the straight one that came with it was extremely uncomfortable to use! I also took a few pics with my lovely iPhone camera and even got some nebulosity from Orion!

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 26, 2015

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

polyfractal posted:

Now it just needs to be less cloudy :)

Yeah. I'm on day 10 of waiting for the clouds to clear to use my new toy. I've never in my life paid such close attention to weather/meteorological reports.

I even caught myself cursing at the clouds yesterday night since it was supposed to be clear!!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Wow, that horsehead picture is really incredible.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ahhh gently caress the clouds!!! I just got a 2x Barlow and red dot sight in the mail yesterday and intended to use it this morning when I got home from work. It's been crystal clear black skies for literally a full week and now it's cloudy! Only when I want to observe! This is the same thing that happened to me when I first got the scope at Christmas too :(

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Really awesome picture. Last weekend I had my scope trained on the Orion/Taurus region for about 5 hours. I've had this scope for a little over a year now and that's definitely my favourite bit of the sky right now. It's a shame it's a winter constellation because no one ever wants to come look with me! I really need to get a clock drive for my dob or something

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hoping to get out and see dragon and then iss immediately after tonight with my kids. We watched the launch and now I want to point them out to them in real life so they can make the connection to reality. I'll bring some binos too, just hoping the weather holds out here (southern Ontario)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Hoping to get out and see dragon and then iss immediately after tonight with my kids. We watched the launch and now I want to point them out to them in real life so they can make the connection to reality. I'll bring some binos too, just hoping the weather holds out here (southern Ontario)

Caught the ISS, kids missed the dragon, but my 3 year old was mesmerized by the ISS so that's a win. They want to come back with my telescope for more stargazing, so I'm happy :3:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

that's a picture of space, phanatic

:thanks:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

:negative:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thinking about possibly buying some stuff for the eclipse. anyone have a reputable source for glasses? using amazon for something like this kinda wigs me out. also contemplating a solar filter for my 6" dob (skywatcher i think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

looks like we maaaaay get a window through the clouds here in ontario. thankfully im not going too far out of my way so if its a bust its not so big a deal (aside from disappointing my kids). laffo at all the clowns making a big thing about this in niagara tho