Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Hi guys
Is this the place to talk basic astrophotography ?

I like viewing the night sky, and also trying to shoot it if possible.

I'm mainly just using an EQ6 mount and using my dslr and lenses on it, but have just bought an Orion 6" CCG scope to try and get some views of the planets if possible.

Shot from last night of the moon using an old skywatcher telescope. Best viewing I've seen for ages of the moon

Moon by Marc, on Flickr

I should really check out if my scopes are aligned up alright, and still need to properly figure out guiding (and balance, polar alignment just the usual)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I don't really know what I'm doing yet, but I took a couple of nebula shots tonight, just single shots
Canon 5dmk4 on a eq6-r mount

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 1, 2022

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Bought my first astro camera.
Got a lot to learn, but here is the first shots, an attempt at carina nebula

Carina Nebula by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 29, 2022

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

This was the second target I had a go at. Lagoon nebula

Pretty happy to basically get usable images on the first night out. For the first half hour couldn't even get a focus looking at the laptop, just looked like a bunch of noise. It was only when I switched to another program I figured out what was happening.

With it being the first night with an astro camera I kinda went slowly, didn't try any platesolving or guiding, didn't even hook my mount up to the laptop. Just did the polar alignment and used the hand controller. First time stacking as well, so all over a start I'm fairly happy with.

Camera was ZWO ASI294MC Pro, taken through a canon 600mm f4L lens
40 shots @ 15sec

Lagoon nebula by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Been playing around with the astro camera I bought
Moons out so time for a couple of moon shots I guess

Moon Panorama by Marc, on Flickr

Moon by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Another moon.

Got home from work just after midnight, had a meal, then thought I might as well have another shot at doing some astrophography.

First try at a planet, took a video then stacked.
Also moon was just rising before dawn so had a go at that as well.

Bit chilly standing outside (0° C ) but worth it.
Setting up equipment at 2am outside isn't a whole lot of fun, then trying to figure out why I couldn't get an image and I don't think the scope really cooled down enough, but I wasn't going to get another chance to get out for a couple of weeks.

Moon - Waning Crescent by Marc, on Flickr

Jupiter and moons by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 24, 2022

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Had a look at saturn on the weekend.

The camera isn't ideal for planets(pixels too large, not a fast framerate) but good enough for me

I took about an hour worth of carina nebula, and an hour of the running chicken nebula, both through my canon 600mmf4 lens. I just need to get around to processing them.

Saturn by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Cloudy , windy weekend, so only a moon shot was really available
2 shot panorama, each shot a 60sec video with 50% stacked

Moon 09 July by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Carina from last weekend.

Trying to start to get my head around the processing side.

Unguided at the moment, so a bit of work to do to get better stars

Carina Nebula by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Using my canon lenses at the moment, but a 300mm focal length telescope is in the mail :)
It'll be interesting to see what the difference is between it and my 'L' lenses

Bit of a messy setup

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I do like that area of the sky, I was imaging the same part a few weeks ago. I was just using my canon 50mm and 100mm macro.
I did try with my fra300 but I was getting some weird halo around Antares, it's a bit of a mystery, don't get it with anything else.

gst to NZ is annoying now they look out for it :(

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Is there any good local places to get new/used gear? Don't get much of a range of gear available here.
I've just been looking at facebook for NZ Astro classified as well.

Mainly use the aussie shops though. My last couple of purchases were overnight from syd to hastings, faster than buying locally.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

My attempt from last weekend of the Eagle nebula

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 24, 2022

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

At a guess, the biggest difference would be that your using a standard dslr vs using either a modified dslr/astro camera.

I would have thought you would get a bit more colour though? Although I'm not familiar with the target being in NZ. It might be more a processing issue to get a bit more out of the data.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I went from

DSLR on 1 May this year of carina nebula , single shot

to

asi294mc a couple of weeks ago of carina, stacked 1hr

But if I had to guess it was probably 40% camera, 60% everything else (technique/processing)

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 5, 2022

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I thought that was my next target which was a little strange, but then I looked it up and it is the lobster nebula which may be next. While scouting targets I found 2 lobster nebulas , but I'm going to try the one next to the cats paw.

If I've setup my FOV right I should be able to get both the cats paw and lobster in the same frame comfortably, so I'll try that and see if I've all the right settings

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Jupiter is creeping on earth tonight, if anyone missed the memo.

From Hastings, NZ

Jupiter by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I used an Orion cc6 , 2x Barlow , zwo asi294mc camera.
It was cloudy here as well, but I had a look outside as I was going to bed and it had cleared up.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Saturn still looks alright

Between the clouds the conditions were alright for viewing the planets, but I haven't been able to look at any DSO since early August due to weather

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

First time I've put more than a hour into a target. It looks like it turned out decent enough
Tarantula Nebula in the Large Magellanic Cloud

Still adding bits and pieces to the process, last couple of nights it was trying to get the dither to work, and last night just more time on a single target
About 2 1/2 hours

tarantula nebula by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Golden-i posted:

Something that some folks here might find interesting - While I was messing around with figuring out a new post-processing workflow I ended up also seeing how much of a difference image calibration makes. I was reworking my integration/color calibration/noise reduction process and decided to skip my calibration process at first (which is unchanged) so I could get right to figuring out the new stuff.

Here's two images I came up with: the Elephant's Trunk Nebula, first uncalibrated (30x300sec lights):

The second is the exact same post-processing workflow, but with calibration frames (5x Dark, 20x Flat, 60x Bias):

Specs: Redcat51, ASI294MC Pro, L-eXtreme filter, EQ6R-Pro mount, captured on ASIAIR.

Seems like I won't be skipping calibration any time soon. There's still that really annoying CCD flare on the top right, even my dark frames weren't enough to prevent that. Any advice on dealing with that? Do I just need more dark frames? Or a better camera (I've got my eye on an ASI2600MM that won't have this issue, whenever I can afford it).

I've the same camera and darks fix any amp glow I have. I just made a darks library one afternoon of various exposure times and gains. I did about 30 darks(or at least 30 min) for each setting I use. So I've darks for 125 gain (30,60,120) and 200 gain(15,30,60,120,180) all at 0ºC

One of my last ones , Cat's Paw and Lobster Nebulas
About 1hr40min with 60sec exposures with the Askar FRA300

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Nice eclipse night.
Cloudy but patchy leading up it. Cleared up a bit about an hour before totality, then cloud came back about 3/4 of the way through the total eclipse period.

So many eclipse pics on facebook haha

Here is mine

Blood Moon by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

xzzy posted:

I really wanted the track to go all the way out of frame, but clouds developing on the horizon and dawn interfered (that's why the last two are so blurry, I kinda wanted to omit them but it threw everything off balance). Maybe next time.

lunar eclipse over the wilson hall by Seth Graham, on Flickr

A lot of composites like this are bullshit so my goal was to make it as authentic as possible. Tried to keep the same exposure for the entire night to really get a feel for how dark the moon gets. I did have to bump the ISO at maximum because it got a lot darker than I expected, but I adjusted those downwards in editing to get things back in line (I would have been fine not changing anything).

Thats really cool , I like that.
I was thinking of doing a wide angle composition, but too much cloud

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

NebulaPhotos did a quick review/comparison between the gti and the benro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj3carj27ag

Basically both seemed to be good as a portable setup, but the gti can go a bit further as it can be computer controlled so can do the whole setup(platesolve/guiding etc.)

Also there are software solutions for polar alignment where you don't need to see the poles, which use platesolving, which should help out for your setup at home.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

pumped up for school posted:

The skywatcher gti looks good for the travel setup but wouldn't work at home. Or am I overthinking it and adding a small guidecam and pc would eliminate the requirement to see polaris for PA? Just put an L bracket on my camera, get a cheap guidecam and scope attached, and run that? Thats probably under $1k. But that would probably be near the weight limit of the gti and any eventual glass upgrades will render it obsolete.

Using fuji is going to hinder your options going forward a bit, I'm not sure there is any easy way to connect the fuji to most astro programs to capture/platesolve? But you can definately use a cheap guidescope/camera to platesolve and guide and use your camera normally if you had something like the gti mount.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I did a 2 panel mosaic. One half was taken about a month ago. Then clouds happened.
The other half I did last night

Still trying to figure out processing, I guess a work in progress.

Anyway, the orion area

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Dmitri-9 posted:

Orion's Belt and Nebula

Lens - Samyang 135mm stopped down to f/4
Camera - Sony A7III ISO 1000
Mount - iOptron Skyguider Pro
Software - DeepSkyStacker, GIMP
Integration - 6.5 Hours 30 second subs
Bortle Scale - 4-5

Pleiades

Integration - 4 Hours 30 second subs
Bortle Scale - 4-5

Orion Nebula

Lens - William Optics Gran Turismo 71 APO
Camera - Sony A7III ISO 800
Integration - 2 Hours 30 second subs
Bortle Scale - 4-5

Some nice images there. Hope you don't mind but I had a quick play with pleiades to see if there was any more in it.
Even from the jpg there is still more dust/nebula that can be extracted out of it.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Dmitri-9 posted:

Thank you so much, the bottom picture is my best so far, journey of a thousand miles etc. I'm having a lot of trouble with image processing, color temperature and vignetting. Part of my problem is I'm too lazy to collect flats, I am calibrating with darks and biases. The youtube experts have videos showing 30 second exposures of the Maia Nebula better than my 2 hours. The fact that you did better with a jpeg than I did with a tif speaks volumes. I know how to manipulate the levels and curves to some degree to bring our structure but I might need more powerful image software.

Of the free options it looks like SIRIL might be the best as a purpose astro processing thing. There will be a bit of a learning curve but I've seen heaps of great images from people using it. I haven't used it myself though.

From the images you posted there should be lots of good data there.
Just by looking at your settings and integration I was thinking there must be a lot more in those images.

If you want you could post up the unedited tiff somewhere and I could have a look, I'm just learning myself though.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

A recent image.
ASI294MC + Canon 100mm macro lens set to f5
40 x 180sec

Vela Supernova Remnant

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah it's a newtonian - celestron starsense explorer 130az. this is the t-ring adapter i have: https://a.co/d/9SIHsXZ

i'll look into those masks, thank you! i was just kind of jamming eyepieces in there to try to get something; without an eyepiece at all i could only get pictures of the mirror (lol)

thanks!

You shouldn't be using the eyepiece at all, with mine I just take the piece that holds the eyepiece off, then screw the adapter straight to that. Depending on the scope you may or may not need extenders

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

hmm, that's what i tried the first time and I wasn't able to get a picture of anything other than mirror itself. maybe i need to futz around with extenders and such more

Having a look around it seems you need to get closer to the mirror. Or if you have a barlow you can use that but the FOV will be quite a bit smaller
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/808497-difficulty-focusing-with-nikon-d7500-and-celestron-starsense-explorer-130az-used-as-prime-lens/

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Dmitri-9 posted:

SIRIL was a good lead. I will post some new photos so I don't spam the thread with reprocessed images.

Andromeda Galaxy

Lens - Canon 300mm Zoom lens
Camera - Canon 7D MkII ISO 800
Software - DeepSkyStacker, SIRIL, GIMP
Bortle Scale - 4-5

Triangulum Galaxy

Lens - Canon 300mm Zoom lens
Camera - Canon 7D MkII ISO 800
Bortle Scale - 4-5

Reprocessed Orion's Belt and Nebula

Integration - 6.5 Hours 30 second subs
Bortle Scale - 4-5

Those look a bit better :)
It's a good start, looks like you now have a bit of work to do reprocessing images haha

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

My last one was Barnard's Loop, using a canon 50f1.4 set to f4.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Golden-i posted:

I went ahead and processed the data anyways since the L and R channels weren't blurry, just the B and G. The results are.... much better than I expected (just don't zoom in too far)

Redcat51, ZWO ASI6200mm, LRGB 7x180sec each channel (84mins total integration plus dark/flat/bias), Bortle 8 skies

This is my first mono shot/process ever so I'd greatly appreciate feedback on it (aside from not taking blurry subframes next time). Gonna re-shoot the data Monday, it's just a shame that it's so late in the season. I'm losing Orion behind trees less than two hours after sunset.

Most of the mono guys refocus on each filter change as the focus is usually a little different between each of them, or have an offset they use.
Doesn't look too bad, apart rom the star bloat/focus, also orion is a bit blown out. It can be tricky with it being so bright.

I had a quick look at orion during the last full moon. I wasn't intending to do any shots, but ended up taking about an hour or so with the scope I had setup for moon shots. I don't really use this scope for nebula but I had it out, and wasn't going to setup anything else, with it being a full moon. So yeah, the stars are a bit wonky around the edges but doesn't look too bad.
I also had a peek at the tarantula nebula, since it was fairly high up and away from the moon a bit

edit:
I also somehow got a few images into a LA observatory newsletter thing. My neighbour down the road who I don't know, showed a friend of his who works there some eclipse images of mine. It sounds like they were totally rained out over in the US and wanted a few images.

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 12, 2023

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I had a local to reach out to me with their setup for visual with a new scope , as he was just getting a blurry mess.
I did warn him I probably wouldn't able to help that much since I don't do any visual and don't know anything about dobs and haven't been doing this long.

I started to go through a basic checklist, and also getting him him to lower expectations a little, but said he should at least see bands on jupiter and it's moons, rings of saturn.
Went through a little on the atmosphere, seeing, and getting the scope to ambient. Worked through focus, collimation.

He was getting a little out of it , but nowhere near enough, and I directed him to a local dealer and dob group to see what issues he might be having as I couldn't really figure anymore out.

It was then he told me he was viewing from his living room through the window and if that would be any issue.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I added a couple more hours to the vela supernova remnant that I had taken earlier. I think the sky was slightly darker this time round as well which helped.
So put it all together
79x180sec ASI294MC + canon 100mm macro lens set to f5 + antlia alp-t filter

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I managed to get a whole 40 min on the witch head before clouds came in. Was hopeful to try and get 2-3hrs , but ... nope

And I took a shot of the moon at midday, not a cloud in the sky haha

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Dmitri-9 posted:

Free advertising for neodymium filters

Rosette Nebula

300mm Canon f/4
Canon 6D mkII
2h30m integration

330mm William Optics GT71 w/ flattener
Canon 6D mkII
4h integration
Optolong l-enhance filter

Exact same processing bg subtraction>photometric calibration>green sncr

It's probably an advert for more integration, better optics and easier processing than anything else. You'll need to do slightly different processing depending on your filters, but if the light pollution doesn't over power your target you can probably get similar results.
I played around a bit with your first image, probably overdid it a bit though :)

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I bought a new mount, ZWO AM5
So far so good, light weight, good guiding, easy to use

First night out with it on Sunday, did a shot of the rho ophiuchi region

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

I’m so envious. Questions for you (and anyone else in the thread with experience): how long have you been in the hobby? Did you come at it from a particular direction (prior experience with astronomy, photography, etc)? Has it been mostly a solo-adventure or have you had mentors/clubs?

I had some previous photography experience, but always had an interest in space stuff. I had a telescope for a while but didn't use it too much, mainly just pics of the moon with a DSLR. Got more into it about a year ago, all totally solo, mostly reading forums.
Starting out it's hard to sort out good relevant info from the bad stuff. Some astro forums get into technical explanations really quickly and can be quite set in their ways about how things should be done.
Starting