Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I wanted to get my 7-year old daughter a telescope for christmas. I was thinking about a $50-ish refractor but ended up deciding against it after talking with a few people, because I guess you can't see crap with a telescope like that and it would be boring and just go into a closet? People here seem happy with theirs, but eh ;) I ended up rethinking the gift and decided on a 4.5" reflector instead, that will now be a gift to the whole family. I ended up ordering Celestron AstroMaster 114 with the equitorial mount and tracking motor. I hope it's not a mistake. Wish I'd have remembered this thread was here, or I'd have asked here first!

I took an astronomy course as a kid and still have my old star charts, but I know little else. We tracked the ISS a few months ago which was awesome, and I can find a handful of constellations from memory, but I've never tried to find any galaxies. My area (Hampton Roads, VA) is light polluted all to hell, which hurts. I imagine the video with the telescope will talk about setting it up, but what's the best way to find planets and galaxies to look at?

grover fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
That's awesome! Should I be able to see colorful nebula in a 114mm reflector? We had our new telescope out the other night, but were having trouble aiming it, and though we saw many stars that weren't visible to the naked eye, couldn't see anything like google sky seems to suggest we should see.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ? I'm leaning towards it over the Orion XT6 / XT8.

It has one less inch of aperture, but it's substantially cheaper, and the tripod mount seems to be more portable than a dobsonian mount. I live in student housing, so viewing requires a drive to the park and then a decent walk to find a nice dark spot.

And it's an EQ mount, so if I want to try astrophotography, I'm alright, right?

Edit: The 130 EQ has a 3 week backorder, but the 114 EQ is availabe to ship next day. Am I hurting myself if I drop too low in aperture? (130mm == 5 in, 114mm == 4.5 in)

The 130EQ is $190, and the 114EQ is $130 (+15 for optional motor drive), both with free UPS shipping. Are these good deals, and should I get the motor drive?
I bought the 114EQ for my family for christmas as a first telescope, and we like it :) I got it through telescopes.com for IIRC $139 with the motor, but we haven't put the motor on yet.

Unfortunately, I don't have a point of comparison to say whether it's good or bad, but no major complaints besides the spotting scope sucking.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Jekub posted:

Some new stuff from me, though nothing amazing as I've been mostly getting to grips with my new mount over the last couple of months.

M106 & NGC4217 in the constellation Canes Venatici

The western veil nebula (ngc6960), not enough data yet for anything really good, but it's a start.

Click here for the full 1000x611 image.

Those are some AWESOME photos!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I happened by an old observatory the other day. Saw some awesome clocks and some old telescopes

I guess I was expecting something a bit more grand; the austerity of the British Royal Observatory really astounded me. For instance, Sir Edmond Halley had this telescope mounted facing south to measure the height of stars above the horizon. Was his most sophisticated telescope. Was simple, but effective... however, it was another 28 years before they could afford to have a 2nd such telescope to allow them to view north, too.

Did I mention how awesome the Harrison clocks were?

grover fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 23, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
This is the last week to see a space shuttle in orbit :(

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Cassini took an awesome shot of a solar eclipse behind Saturn:

NASA posted:

In the shadow of Saturn, unexpected wonders appear. The robotic Cassini spacecraft now orbiting Saturn drifted in giant planet's shadow for about 12 hours in 2006 and looked back toward the eclipsed Sun. Cassini saw a view unlike any other. First, the night side of Saturn is seen to be partly lit by light reflected from its own majestic ring system. Next, the rings themselves appear dark when silhouetted against Saturn, but quite bright when viewed away from Saturn, slightly scattering sunlight, in this exaggerated color image. Saturn's rings light up so much that new rings were discovered, although they are hard to see in the image. Seen in spectacular detail, however, is Saturn's E ring, the ring created by the newly discovered ice-fountains of the moon Enceladus and the outermost ring visible above. Far in the distance, at the left, just above the bright main rings, is the almost ignorable pale blue dot of Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Would they be eliminated if the mirror was mounted to a glass plate instead of on vanes?