Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I just tried Deep Sky Stacker and got this:

Pretty good, but I only have a photography tripod. I used a Canon 70-200mm 2.8L with an XSi. It was 24 shots at 4 seconds each. I did that to avoid the star trails. What kind of motorized head would I need to track the stars and hold my camera with lens, it is about 4 or 5lbs or so all together. Something that locates cool stuff to take pictures of would be good, I'm new to this and really don't know anything about space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Thanks Jekub.

I'm looking at this thing: http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=mounts_and_tripods/~pcategory=accessories/~product_id=15203

I'm really only going to put my camera on it. I don't want to spend more than $400 or so.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The moon shots come out so clear.

Here is one I did the other day:

200mm lens with a 2x teleconverter. It's not near as sharp as the stacked photos.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I have found that I can take pictures of stars okay with my photography stuff. I am still trying to read up on what gear I should get.

Here are some pictures from tonight.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Hello Astronomy Thread.

I did a test of my wide angle lens on the sky last night.

Click to see millions of stars. The edges have a lot of chromatic aberrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Here is a HD video of the Moon I made last night.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_rintjema/4635583042/

Edit:
And a photo!

I got a new lens that's very good. This picture is worth looking at in detail.

TomR fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 24, 2010

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Have another Moon photo Astronomy Thread!

December Moon by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I meant to get the eclipse, but it got way too cloudy out.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Hey folks, I'm getting some cool space posters printed for my brother as a gift. Specifically, loving huge cool space posters (180 x 60cm):

(the original is 10630x3543 res)

I think I'm going to get it printed on a quality matt paper as it just won't show up on a glossy. But realistically I need to brighten it up as well. The problem with this is obviously that (a)it can start to look washed-out and (b)increasing brightness/constrast/saturation increased the noise/film grain dramatically.

I have very little experience editing night photos like this and everything I try seems to make it worse, even after doing various de-noising things. Does anyone have any tips for image adjustment?

e: for reference this is what the (ridiculously helpful) dudes at posterjack came up with, the grain/noise just pops when you up the brightness etc.:

The dynamic range of printed paper is a lot less than your computer screen. The best thing to do is to try some print tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I too shot the Moon.

2015-221 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2015-223 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2015-224 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2015-225 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

My camera and lens are about 8-9lbs. Is there a mount I could get to track the sky that isn't $$$?