Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I keep an amazon wishlist for stuff that I'm interested in but not necessarily going to buy. I added an Orion XT8 after reading this thread a few months ago, amd that was pretty much that.

My mom had it sitting at her house waiting for me for Christmas yesterday. I put it together last night but it's overcast for the next few days, but I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks, astronomy thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Here's a cool shot of the moon I grabbed a couple of weeks ago.

Iphone and an Orion XT8, but I don't recall which eyepiece I used.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Phil Plait just posted that ISON may have broken up. I'm going to be bummed if I missed my chance to see it.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/11/25/comet_ison_sudden_drop_in_ice_output.html

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GutBomb posted:

Actually Saturn was the brightest available thing at the time when I was doing the 3 star alignment so I went for that one first, not even knowing what it was. When I brought it into focus I immediately realized what I was looking at and had a real mind-blown moment.

The first thing I looked at with mine was Jupiter. Being able to make out the stripes and then realizing that I could see the 4 Galilean moons strung out in a row was mind blowing.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Is Sky Safari Pro much better than Pocket Universe?

I purchased PU a few years ago, but the price of Sky Safari has been putting me off of purchasing it. I had the free version and it didn't seem all that different.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Golden-i posted:

What's the best resource to find out when the ISS is going to be visible from certain locations?

I signed up for the Nasa Spot the Station emails.
http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Daveh posted:

I've just got back from a weekend in Iceland to see the Northern Lights, and it was pretty awesome space stuff!

Here's a few photos I took of the Aurora:

And here's an animation I made of some shots to show the movement: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7c83y0vzl4f073l/NorthernLights2014.avi?dl=1

Is that what it looks like in person, or is that time lapse?

Awesome pictures either way.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GutBomb posted:

Alright, I love the XT8. It's my first non-goto scope but I was able to star hop a bit with some help from an app on my phone to help me find cool stuff to see. I found the ring nebula and stared at that for a good half hour in a bunch of different eyepiece. I'll try the 4SE one of these nights to see if I can even see it with that one.

This poo poo is awesome.

Where do you live light pollution wise? I'm in a pretty populated suburb of Philadelphia and I've found it difficult to see a lot of the fainter objects. Planets and the moon are loving great though.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GutBomb posted:

I live in the city of Framingham, Massachusetts. It's about halfway between Boston and Worcester. I live in the outskirts in an almost rural area but I don't think my skies would be considered dark.

According to http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/ my house is in a red zone.

Thanks for that link. Mine is in a white zone.:(

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what you saw was the light from venus reflected off swamp gas

No other object has been misidentified as a flying saucer more often than the planet Venus.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

why, even the former leader of our united states of america, james earl carter jr, thought he saw a UFO once

Your scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception. Yet you somehow brazenly declare seeing is believing? Mister OMGVBFLOL, your scientific illiteracy makes me shudder, and I wouldn't flaunt your ignorance by telling anyone that you saw anything last night other than the planet Venus, because if you do, you're a dead man.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this definitely rates about a 9.0 on my weird-poo poo-o-meter
I need to rewatch MIB, now that my son is older I have an excuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYYyUFb2wCQ

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Has anyone found any stupid high res shots of the eclipse? I want to use one as a desktop background.
I traveled to Erie for the eclipse. Totality was amazing, the drive home sucked (7.5 hrs). My wife said it was a lot of effort for 3 minutes, I told her that's the story of my life.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Star Man posted:

I'm glad things worked out in Erie. That was my original plan to travel to from Pittsburgh, but the forecast scared me and I went west instead to meet some Amateur Astronomy Association of Pittsburgh folks west of Akron, Ohio. Were you stuck in the gridlock to get to Erie in the morning?

No we shot up 79 from cranberry around 11, almost no traffic. We were actually just south of Erie, west Springfield.
Getting back to Philly sucked rear end though (we stayed at my in-laws in Pittsburgh for the weekend)

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 10, 2024