Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vega
Nov 6, 2003
Any Color You Like
tl;dr: me and a friend have a combined 3500$ budget - what telescope should we get?
has to be motorized and able to take photos with.

Long story:
I've had a interest in astronomy as long as I can remember, but can't really say it's been a hobby until now. I have a 200$ telescope but I've lost the "magnifiers/lenses". Don't even know what it's called, or how to get replacements.
Edit: When I think of it, I'll take some pictures of the thing and post it here. Maybe some of you can tell me what it is...

Anyways, A friend (also goon) of mine and have a 3500'ish $ budget, and we're interested in a telescope. We've been talking about buying one for some years now.

Problem is that we don't know poo poo about what to get.

My only experience is from playing around with the 200$ telescope, but I could only see the moon and it wasn't even "big"...

The 'scope should be:
- Motorized (GoTo?) - because I'm afraid we would freeze our asses of while calibrating it, and trying to find something as easy as the moon. I think my friend want to do stuff "manually", but I don't think he's ever been outside his house at night :colbert:
- able to take photographs with (Canon EOS 450d - have 70-300mm lense, and 2x teleconverter)
- We want to have a good look at galaxies and nebulas, and other awesome stuff;
A look at planets in our own solar system is not what we want to spend alot of money on, so that brings me to the next (stupid) question:

What type of telescope should we go for?
Newtonian, refractor, reflector, Catadioptric (had to Copy&Paste that one).
I've tried to read about the differences, but my head hurts and I can't figure it out.

Mount:
I've read good things about the EQ6 mount, and on some other forum they recommended it if you're gonna take photos (stability I guess). But just that costs about about 1500$ in a Norwegian shop.
This mount-thing brings me to another question:
Every telescope I've looked at seems to have a mount included, but it looks lovely. 'sup with that? Does a EQ6 mount fit on whatever telescope you put on it?

We live in Norway, and it gets pretty cold here at nights. zero to -15C in the winter.
Should we take that into consideration when buying the 'scope? We have a 5 minute drive to complete dark areas.

oh, by the way... about the 3500$ budget:
Please note that we're norwegians, and everything that people want as a hobby costs $$$$ due to greedy importers and 25% taxes:
Meade ETX-125PE in Norway cost 2100$
and in USA it costs 799$

So in reality we have a 1400$ budget if we could buy the equipment in USA.
Just had to mention this in case some of you Americans go ahead and recommend some Hubble-type stuff that would cost us 10000$ here in Norway :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU