Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
How much of the cost for astrophotography is related to the actual camera? I have a decent DSLR already and have always been interested in astrophotography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Jekub posted:

:words:

Thanks for the encouraging post. I'm still a little worried about the amount of light pollution I'll have to deal with, but I'm going to get started with just some long exposure shots on a tripod as described here as soon as the skies clear up.

I have a Canon Rebel XTi, and it conveniently seems like the lenses I already have are well suited for this.

Any recommended books on the subject (both astronomy and astrophotography related)?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Jekub posted:

I live in the middle of Basingstoke in south east England, the light pollution is awful. However with filters you can negate a surprising amount of the negative effects. Take a look at the <a href="http://www.astronomik.com/en/eos_clip-filters.html">Astronomic clip filters!</a>, they fit between the camera body and the lens, very handy.

That's good to hear. I was getting discouraged after stumbling upon this link and seeing that I'm smack in the middle of a "red zone."

Your photos are fantastic. Post more!

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Here are some not very good shots of the sky I took from my balcony. This is obviously without a telescope. Just some long exposures on my tripod mounted xTi. It's kind of cool though because none of this is visible to the naked eye.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

25 second exposure, 24 mm, f/4.0, 800 ISO

Click here for the full 800x541 image.

20 second exposure, 50mm, f/1.8, 400 ISO

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Thanks for the tips.

In both cases, I used max aperture. For the first photo, I had it set at f/4.0 and set the focus to infinity. The second shot was with my 50mm f/1.8 lens. It doesn't seem to have an infinity setting though, so I tried taking different pics at different zooms, and that was the best of the lot.

One thing I didn't try, was my 70-200mm F/2.8 IS lens. Maybe I'll try taking some with that this weekend. It's not my widest, but it's my fastest after the 50mm.