Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gendor
Nov 1, 2004

jerkstore77 posted:

Here are some not very good shots of the sky I took from my balcony. This is obviously without a telescope. Just some long exposures on my tripod mounted xTi. It's kind of cool though because none of this is visible to the naked eye.

Just a couple suggestions for improving you pictures without spending any money. I have also done the unguided astrophotograph, and it can be challenging to get a good image, but there's a few tricks that can help.

First off since you don't have a guided mount your best off with the widest & fastest lens you have, and on an XTi ISO 800 seems to be the best choice for signal to noise ratio. Your best bet would be to keep the lens wide open, you might have some slight vignetting issues but that is less of a concern than motion blur from a exposure that is too long.

I noticed you posted a image at 24mm F4.0, can you open the F Stop up a bit more? Anything you could gain from stopping down isn't realy worth if if your stars are smudges imo. Also the focus seems to be a bit off, did you use the auto focus? From my experience using AF for astrophotography doesn't work well on anything other than the moon, and even then manual focus seems to be best. Normally I manual set the lens to infinity, take a test exposure to ensure the stars are pinpoint, if not make a very slight adjustment and check again, repeat as necessary. Usually with a lens below 50mm or so you can just set it to infinity and it should be good enough though.

Finally there is a good bit of light pollution, not much you can do about that other than go somewhere else. But you can get slightly better images if you try to point away from the city center, and/or point towards zenith (straight up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU