Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

My cousin's kids are 7 and 10, and they're both interested in space, especially the younger one. I was at their house for Thanksgiving today and brought my old Tasco telescope that I got when I was in middle school. I aimed it at the moon right along the terminator for a pretty spectacular view of a crater-dense area, and their reactions to seeing it through a telescope for the first time were priceless. My cousin and her husband also hadn't seen the moon through a telescope before, so they really enjoyed it. After that, I showed them Jupiter and its moons, which are kind of a pain to get into view and keep in view with the rickety old wood tripod but were still clearly visible.

They were pretty excited when I told them they got to keep the telescope. Every kid should have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I recently dug out my dad's old Meade 826. The tube and mirrors are pristine, but the mount is rusty and it looks like the gears on the tracking mechanism are frozen up (can't expect perfection from a guy who worked on the Hubble Space Telescope, right? :downsrim:) Cleaning up the gears and motor shouldn't be a problem, although I have my doubts about the clutch surviving the 20 or so years since it was last used. I want to get it to usable condition for sentimental value as much as practical, it was my dad's college graduation gift from my mom, and I fondly remember being 4 or 5 and my dad holding me up to the eyepiece to see Saturn and Jupiter.

If I expect the worst and assume that I won't be able to get it working, is there such a thing as an inexpensive tracking mount for a telescope that size? money is really tight for the foreseeable future, so the last thing I want to do is blow money I shouldn't really be spending on something crappy. I don't need a mount that can seek, I'd be perfectly happy with one that could just track whatever I have pointed at it. If that's not feasible, I'll just disconnect the motor drive and deal with moving it manually.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I hope you don't mind me asking again, but I'd really like some advice about bringing this old telescope back to life.

GWBBQ posted:

I recently dug out my dad's old Meade 826. The tube and mirrors are pristine, but the mount is rusty and it looks like the gears on the tracking mechanism are frozen up (can't expect perfection from a guy who worked on the Hubble Space Telescope, right? :downsrim:) Cleaning up the gears and motor shouldn't be a problem, although I have my doubts about the clutch surviving the 20 or so years since it was last used. I want to get it to usable condition for sentimental value as much as practical, it was my dad's college graduation gift from my mom, and I fondly remember being 4 or 5 and my dad holding me up to the eyepiece to see Saturn and Jupiter.

If I expect the worst and assume that I won't be able to get it working, is there such a thing as an inexpensive tracking mount for a telescope that size? money is really tight for the foreseeable future, so the last thing I want to do is blow money I shouldn't really be spending on something crappy. I don't need a mount that can seek, I'd be perfectly happy with one that could just track whatever I have pointed at it. If that's not feasible, I'll just disconnect the motor drive and deal with moving it manually.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I got an email from a relative asking for help identifying something and was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

quote:

Been trying to watch for the meteor shower since Sunday. But for two days I've seen a glowing orb near the Perseids on the Cassiopeia constellation. it navigates a big distance from down direction to a left then up again it also flickers on and off but it take about 15 seconds to go on and off. Both days watched it for over 2 hours .. Still have no clue what it was ... Seen it Sunday night and Tuesday night.
Unfortunately, the weather is bad for the next few days so I won't be able to go out and try to figure it out myself. I found several UFO sites with similar reports over the past 10 years, so it's probably something in that part of the sky giving the illusion of movement. Anyone have any idea what he might have seen?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I think he's saying he was watching for the perseids, and while looking at Perseus for the radiant point of the shower he saw a light moving in a down-left-up pattern in Cassiopeia that gets brighter and dimmer over the course of 15 seconds or so, repeating consistently. He's near Rome, NY. I think the UFO reports that describe a moving orb that gets brighter and dimmer in several places and times are relevant and it's some combination of atmospheric phenomena like high altitude clouds or ice crystals reflecting and refracting light and producing the illusion of movement.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Not being in the financial bind I was in when I asked 7 years ago, I took a look at my dad's old telescope and the tube and mirrors are still in great shape. It's a Meade 628 (got the diameter wrong last time). Sadly, 40 year old mounts aren't just sitting around like they used to be, and I'm having trouble finding one. I'm going to give the old RA drive a cleaning and see if I could do anything, but let's assume I need to get a whole new mount. I want something that will work for visual and photography, both film and digital, so I'd like something that can track for a couple of hours if possible. I'd like to keep it on the cheaper side, but not so cheap that I end up with junk. Anywhere I should start looking?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Is it worth it to do the hot mirror replacement to convert a first generation Canon 5D to full spectrum for astrophotography or should I be looking at a dedicated camera to mount to a telescope? For the sake of convenience, 90% of what I shoot will probably just be some kind of digital camera hanging off the back of a Meade ETX 90, although I've been making some progress on fixing up a bigger scope and definitely want to shoot some film with a few older cameras to see what I can do.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Got this today. I figure I'd have to fix it up a bit, but I'm pretty sure it was opened and never used. I'll lug it down to the park this weekend if skies are clear.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It's my first Dob, and I think I'm also going to see if I can get any interest in a local Sidewalk Astronomers club. It's been long enough, I promised John Dobson I would bring out a telescope or two and get people looking at the skies at his 90th birthday party.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

After a closer inspection, I'm going to have to revise my initial assumption about this telescope. It looks like someone opened the box, had no idea what they were doing, took it apart, and then put it back in the box. After 15 minutes of carefully bending the spider for the secondary back into shape (they just stuck it in the tube to bounce around), I got it attached. I'll have to collimate it, but it looks like there's miraculously no damage to the optics.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Wait, what the gently caress did they do to to this poor thing? How do you bend thumbscrews so much? This can't be post-consumer damage, it must have been an accident in shipping. At least it looks like less than $10 of damage but JFC, how do you even manage to do that?

I might need to to drill and tap the focuser to make sure I can put lenses in,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Well, silly me, I should have expected that he'd already be known in these parts. It's some consolation to his parents, at least, to see the thousands of comments from people who he inspired or helped in the astro community.

A good and also wild soul that lived more in his short years than most would with 100. His persona in his astro videos always amused me because he comes across so gentle and softly spoken, which he could be, but most of the time I knew him we were getting up to all sorts of silly poo poo.
He was an amazing photographer and sounds like a great guy.

I'll paraphrase what John Dobson told me after I met him at his 90th birthday party: If you want to do something to remember him by, find a place to set up a telescope if you can, and encourage people to look at the sky.