Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I haven't seen "super binoculars" (not really sure what else to call them) mentioned yet, so let me tell you a little bit about them. :dance:

I have a pair of 80mm Vixen Optics Astro Binoculars:

http://www.vixenoptics.com/binoculars/bt80.htm

These binoculars differ in their construction from typical binocs in that what you basically have here is two high quality, small refracting telescopes that are aligned perfectly to give you binocular vision. Vixen Optics is known for making excellent refractors, so it's only natural that these binocs are very good quality, but I think they're also a very good value. You'll want that specialized tripod to go with them; it makes all the difference for viewing comfort. It is not really possible to hand hold binoculars this big...they're just too heavy.

In terms of light gathering and resolving power they're somewhere between a very good pair of standard binocs and a refracting telescope. Depending on the conditions you'll be able to see globular clusters, larger nebulae such as the Orion Nebula, galaxies, planets, and my favorite thing to watch: COMETS!!!. The last comet that was visible to the naked eye (whose name I can't be bothered to remember) looked incredible through these binoculars. I honestly get more enjoyment out of these than my Meade ETX-125 (Maksutov-Cassegrain).

If you're fabulously rich you can go totally apeshit on astro binocs and get these:

http://fujinonbinos.com/fujinon_edmt_and_em_telescope_binoculars.pdf

They're the best, but they're also between $6,000 to $12,000 depending on the optics you get. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Jekub posted:

From my experience light pollution filters are a must for imaging, but I've never noticed a great improvement when observing. Mind you I only have a cheap skywatcher filter but it seems to cover my needs (or it did, more on that in a sec).

Seconding this. It is quite surprising what you can produce even in a light-polluted area with an appropriate filter. Unfortunately these filters (the ones good enough for astrophotography, anyway) can get quite expensive.

Speaking of filters, an oft-overlooked aspect of astronomy is breaking every rule your mother taught you about LOOKING AT THE SUN. :supaburn:

...uh, with a solar filter, that is:

http://www.telescope.com/control/se...2d-e2134eafce55

The sun is fascinating to look at with a good telescope. The ETX-90EC should be great for that with a full aperture filter.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Jekub posted:

I re-processed my M31 image using Pixinsight, a dedicated astrophotography processing package. Got to say, the improvement is immense.

Click here for the full 1600x995 image.

This looks absolutely fantastic. I looked up your refractor, and was quite surprised by how affordable it is considering the imagery you're getting! Post more pictures if you got 'em!