Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Also if anyone really wants to get into this take a look in your local area for an amateur observatory. Not too sure how common they are but this is the one near me http://www.graaa.org/veen.html . For some reason west michigan has quite a bit in the way of astronomy facilities. Hell the middle school I went to out here has its own planetarium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

What sort of rig does it take to get into radioastronomy at even the beginner level? Is there some way to pick up a used satellite tv antenna and attach some sort of amplifier to it or do you need something considerably bigger/with more gain? I'm actually not sure whether to post this in this thread or the radio thread, actually, but it seems a bit more appropriate here.

I think you are going to need a sat dish at least as large as an old C-Band one. There isn't a ton of amateur radio astronomy stuff out there.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

I was afraid of that. Maybe when I retire some day I'll think about pursuing this hobby again. :sigh:

Well, the best sort of hobby is one nobody has done before at an amateur level.