Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I'm incredibly jealous of those of you who can see galaxies. I love the idea of amateur astronomy I just never had time to get into it. But I'm starting to look into it now.

Is there a particular type of telescope or mount more suited for viewing of galaxies? I am fortunate that my parent's house is in an extremely dark and clear place in the Shenandoah mountains and it's only an hour away from me. Sometimes I can't help but stop and look up when the sky there seems literally filled with more stars than black space. I walked out of the front door a long while ago and looked up and froze because the milky way was just right there in my face. I want a telescope there so badly.

FalconGuy016 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Loztblaz posted:

I'll echo Jekub's recommendation for a Dobsonian mounted Newtonian telescope.

We might be able to recommend something if you gave a budget and let us know if you plan to take it back and forth, or just leave it there. There's also the question of you wanting a computerized object locator system or not.

After thinking a bit, I'd probably just leave it there.

Jekub posted:

I dream of locations like that.

The Skywatcher collapsible truss tube dobsonian scopes are excellent, and easy to move around in the back of a car. The bigger the better, the 12" model would be excellent, everyone seems to have a range of dobs now and the second hand market is worth keeping an eye on.

Haha, it is possibly the only good thing about that place.

I don't mind looking for things on my own (of course, I haven't tried both), but more importantly if I can use the money for a better picture instead of a tracking stars mount I most definitely would.

My budget would be $300-$500 or around there. I have some things that I never use I could sell pretty much instantly.

Edit: Hmm, I just realized galaxies are extremely far, and I imagine I'd need a really strong eyepiece. Wouldn't that make the Earth's rotation extremely noticeable? Or would it be completely managable

FalconGuy016 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 7, 2009

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I have a question with field of view in eyepieces. It seems the higher the FOV the more money, but when a eyepiece is say 60 degrees field of view does that literally mean you can see 60 degrees of the sky? How does that work with different magnifications with the same FOV?