Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Really glad I found this thread! I've been messing around with a Meade ETX-90EC that my father in law gave me. I've so far seen Jupiter, Saturn ad Venus. I've only had it since December.

I have a really hard time viewing nebulae and galaxies however. I have eyepieces from 26mm to 5.5 but I think my issue is light pollution. I live in the Bronx and although light pollution isn't as bad here it's still rough. Any tips?

Also I'm looking to start taking photos as well. Any tips for my scope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
A few Q's if anyone can help. First here's the gear:

a Meade etx-90ec, this doesn't have tracking or AutoStar, it was given to me by my father in-law, I manually have to adjust to keep track of the object I'm looking at.

1) For taking just a run of the mill, hey here's the X galaxy/nebula/Planet do I need more equipment other than the lens adapter?

2) Are hi-mag UWA eyepieces any good for viewing nebulae or galaxies?

3) Are light pollution-reducers worth anything?

I just do casual observing on clear nights and am looking to see if I want to start getting more serious with it.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Loztblaz posted:

They're good because of their higher FOV, but they're pretty expensive. If you wanted to start off cheaper, you can get some cheaper plossls for 10-20 bucks (hell, I can even sell you a couple for way cheap if you want). If you want to spend more, Baader Hyperion eyepieces are amazing for the price.

I have a bunch of SP eyepieces ranging from 26mm to 5.5mm I think I should be ok there. Also, believe it or not, I use stellarium to locate what I'm looking at. Pretty good with it too!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP posted:

I recently read Cosmos by Carl Sagan and have become space obsessed and have been thinking about getting a telescope. The problem is I live in NYC where light pollution is insane and I was wondering if anyone on here lives in NYC and whats your experience with telescopes here. Is it pointless, or can you see alright in the middle of central park maybe?

I'm up in the Bronx and on the clearest nights I only get stuff up to 4.50 Magnitude, I can see a little of Orion's Nebula, the planets, moon, some times clusters, like Pleiades but no real cool looking deep sky stuff. I was thinking about taking the scope up a bit to like Glen Island, or maybe up to Mahopac. Shame really, but when I do get great viewing it's always a blast. Saturn was great last week, opposition and all that.

I want to start taking photos, I am using a Meade ETX-90EC, what gear should I get for the most basic stuff. Also, AutoStar may be busted, is it even worth it at that rate since there is no mechanical slewing? I line up through the spotter and then manually move the scope to view the object.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 23, 2010

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Does anyone here have experience with LightBuckets. I was thinking about buying some points and giving them a shot.