Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So my only piece of equipment is a sextant I use for the odd star fix or taking a sunline. I have some night vision I use as well, just when I am bored. I work as a navigator on ships and spend a lot of time looking at the night sky in the middle of the ocean. In the winter of 2007, while off the East Coast of Africa, I saw something that I was hoping someone might be able to identify.

I have seen a fair amount of comets, and know that they travel pretty much as the stars do, in that their apparent motion across the sky is the same as everything else over the course of the night. Sure they move relative to everything else, but pretty slowly, like planets. I saw what looked like a comet, with a white glowing point and a large fanning tail that spread away from the point. The weird thing was that this thing set in the east, over about 40 minutes. It was initially about 45 deg above the horizon. It may have been aurora, but I have seen a lot of that, and it did not dance, was white, and I was about 5 degrees above the equator.

Also, if there is real interest, I might try and explain the basics of celestial navigation when I get home. Is there any interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The weird thing was that it set in the east though, and fast. Like I said, it looked a lot like the aurora which I am very familiar with having worked in Alaska, but I was a few degrees above the equator north of Madagascar.

Also, I will try and write a thread for some Celestial Navigation basics. I have to refresh my skills after 2 years of not sailing anyway.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Okay, over a year ago I asked if there was interest in some basics of Celestial Navigation. Is that still the case? I have a users knowledge of a sextant, and taking observations to calculate a three (or more) body fix as well as sunrise and set and azimuths/amplitudes. I can try and write a thread if people want to see this stuff and how it is still used at sea today. I ask now as I am no longer working at sea and I would like to try and keep my skills somewhat current.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Okay, I will try and type something up soon.