Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Just posting to keep this thread alive. It's rekindled my love for all things space. Once I get a bit more finances under my belt, it's time to pick up a scope I can use to take some pictures with. The pacific northwest is a but rainy at times, but when things clear up, it's pretty beautiful at night.

Don't let this thread die!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Can someone enlighten me to some finer details of Astrophotography? I've been reading various newbie tutorials and looking at people's rigs, but there's some information missing in a lot of them.

How important is automated tracking in something like this? I'm looking at the previously posted XLT 127 with the CG-4 Equatorial Mount. If I'm planning on trying to (eventually) take pictures of nebulae and galaxies, do I need some sort of a system to automatically track the mount as time goes on, or is it enough to manually tweak it at set intervals and let the interlacing software match things up?

I've seen some pictures of rigs with a lot of wiring plugged into a laptop that I'm assuming is controlling this, but there's very little discussion of it. I'm not planning on jumping right into Astrophotography, but it's where I'd like to end up, so I want to make sure whatever I buy will lead to that after I've gotten some good old fashioned visual scoping done.

Can anyone recommend a good book or online article that'll go over such things?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Jekub posted:

Have a look here, I've found it covers most of the questions anyone wanting to get started will have.

Very much appreciated on the responses!

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I'm considering the Astro-Tech 6" F/4 imaging Newtonian optical tube as my first telescope since I was a kid. Is there a good computerized mount that'll also work for astrophotography that isn't an arm and a leg? The Orion Sirius mount seems pretty well recommended, but it's a bit costlier than I'd like.