Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Gary2863 posted:

I just got my Galileoscope (see my earlier post) today! Assembling it was fun and I've looked at some distant buildings with it. I haven't been able to look at planets or stars yet as it is day time, but I picked up the book that was recommended in the OP, Turn Left at Orion.

I ordered this May 29 and got it July 18, but I think anyone who orders this now will receive it in less time than I did.

Here's a photo of it, I put it on a cheap tripod that I got from Radio Shack.

I ordered mine in February and am still waiting :( Got a chance to try it out yet?

EDIT: Whoo just got it!

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Got a chance to try out the Galileoscope tonight, bad conditions as my apartment has a bunch of lights everywhere, and I live in Dallas, but it was pretty awesome seeing the moon in such detail. I'll be going camping sometime in the next month or two so I can't wait to try it out when I can see more then 3 stars outside! Best $15 bucks spent in a while.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Played around with the Galileoscope, looking at jupiter. Holy poo poo first time I saw Jupiter's moons, I counted 6. Still best $15 bucks spent in a while.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Loztblaz posted:

Unfortunately, it's a pretty huge difference. In the darkest skies I've ever been in, I can see things naked eye that I can barely see in my binoculars at home. Find your home on http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/ , If you're in orange or under (orange, yellow, green, blue, grey, black) you should be ok if you go for a dobsonian mounted Newtonian scope eventually. I'm in a red zone, and almost always go to a dark site for longer observing sessions, but it's still possible to see the brighter objects (globular clusters, double stars, planets obviously).

I'm in red just bordering white. DALLAS :argh:

Still I'm continually amazed how much I can see with this cheapo telescope. Looked at jupiter today and could very clearly see bands in Jupiter's atmosphere, as well as a few of the moons. Going camping on the beach in a few weeks and I can't wait to break out the telescope.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I think I saw andromeda in my galileoscope last night. Hard to find, and it was just a gray-ish mass. Need more power I guess. Also while gawking at pleiades a meteor flew across my field of view. :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Jekub posted:

C-17?