Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I charge my priv every night from 1 to 8. When it's time to plug my phone in at bedtime I typically have 15% remaining. So I'll say "not great."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well I just got gifted a Q5, what should I do/install to:
-secure it as much as possible
-browse SA/youtube
-use IRC
-maybe have like one or two games to play, like a tetris or some poo poo

edit: I figured out how to install the Awful App on my own, and it has been working pretty well for now. I guess the Android support is actually decent?

Creamed Cormp fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 26, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So, Priv:

I'm an Android user most recently. How is the support for Android apps on a Prov now, seriously?

My work phone is up for replacement and nothing would make me happier than to honestly be able to recommend a BB device to my users again. Too many of our users use systems with iOS and Android apps but nothing in BB.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

I'm an Android user most recently. How is the support for Android apps on a Prov now, seriously?

Uh...the Priv runs Android. So, pretty good?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah the Priv is an android phone, manufactured by blackberry with apps by blackberry that replicate features found in BBOS.

It's a great phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GutBomb posted:

It's a great phone.

That part is absolutely up for debate.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CLAM DOWN posted:

That part is absolutely up for debate.

I'll give you that, but I haven't loved a phone this much since the Palm Pre days.

When HP cancelled the Pre 3 they gave them away to employees who dumped them all on ebay. I got one and was happy for about a year until the lack of apps became bothersome. The Priv plus the evolution of the Android OS has made it, at least for me, a modern Palm Pre. Google even hired the UX guy behind the Pre to overhaul Android with the "material design" stuff a few OS revisions ago.

If you loved the Pre, you'll love the Priv.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I'm 'this' close to throwing my current phone (Moto G 2014) against a brick wall. It's 1G of memory pretty much means I can do one thing at a time on it.

Looking at the priv, purely because keyboard. The size is a bit balls, but I'm sure I'll cope by winging incessantly about it.

So, Priv Owners. Would you buy it again?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

xlevus posted:

I'm 'this' close to throwing my current phone (Moto G 2014) against a brick wall. It's 1G of memory pretty much means I can do one thing at a time on it.

Looking at the priv, purely because keyboard. The size is a bit balls, but I'm sure I'll cope by winging incessantly about it.

So, Priv Owners. Would you buy it again?

Me yes, I'm more of a keyboard guy than a blackberry guy and it satisfies me. It's significantly different from BBOS so if you're a blackberry guy I could see how it would be lacking things that you'd expect but as an android phone with a sliding keyboard it's awesome.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Well, I bought one. Should arrive tomorrow. Whelp.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

"Built for Blackberry" program shut down, there's no way BB10 hangs around as an OS anymore.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I played with a Priv today and it was sooooo nice

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

My priv came yesterday.

It's quite nice and the keyboard is much better than any on screen pile of poo poo. But I do keep deleting words by accident when typing.

It's also a little too large for my jeans pockets. Especially with those hard corners.

And my carrier hosed up my replacement sim card.

I wrote this entire post on my phone. Still like it.

(Edit) why is it only Facebook that reverse scrolls on the trackpad?

Also the hub is poo poo compared to the BB10 version. Why do I need to give API access to all my apps, that weirds me out.

And has anybody had any issues with the touchscreen? I put a glass screen protector on there first thing so I have nothing to compare against. But I occasionally have dead spots in random places.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 26, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got a Passport today from a user who left the company thus completing my quest to be a user of every single BB10 phone that has ever existed and.....

aaaaaaaaahahaahahhahahahha holy poo poo is this phone a loving joke, who the gently caress ever thought this would be a good idea, there is literally nothing redeemable about this pile of poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Had they gone with Android from the beginning, I'd totally enjoy a phone like the Passport. I like the kb and the screen, honestly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

....the keyboard and the screen are the worst part to me. If you liked typing on the Bold back in the day (I had a 8900) or the Q10 or Classic then you'd be lost on this, it's a loving retarded squashed layout missing rows in a weird form factor, and there is a quasi on-screen thing where punctuation is split off, it's so unnatural and just loving awful all around. The screen is the weirdest form factor that might work for reading emails, but it basically makes anything using the Android runtime unusuable. And the screen ratio makes the camera useless as well.

All in all it's a wonder this thing ever got the green light.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I guess I should say i like the *idea* of the keyboard. I definitely like the screen size though. Would be hard for pockets I guess.

Edit: I saw someone using a Priv at the bar on Saturday.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Anidav posted:

Been doing a lot of phone research recently. The BlackBerry Priv launched in Australia last week. The demo unit was cool. Did my research and uh. BlackBerry only shipped 45 units for the entire of Australia.

A product launch with only 45 stock. Whirlpool and Optus Forums are making GBS threads themselves laughing. It's a somewhat cool phone. Wish Australian line ups were better, we missed out on the V10 and Sony discontinuing their Z series makes me unsure where to jump from my water damaged G3.

Courtesy of the Android thread :toot:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Optus community is saying they are receiving shipments of the PRIV "In parts" about 45 per week that sell out instantly because corporate accounts backorder them leaving no stock for retail.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please don't buy a BlackBerry

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I probably won't, the line up in Australia is just so poo poo that the Priv looked above average. More than it actually appears to be and it's not even on 6.0 yet (lol)

Any look at the selection of outright phones over here is either Samsung, Apple, HTC or Sony. HTC's M9 is average, Sony is discontinuing the Z line so it's a dire upgrade path this time of year.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

S7 line coming out there? It's probably stupid expensive like here in Canada if it is eh :(

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The S7 is $1.3K :psyboom:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yup similar to Canada :smith:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/phones/Outright-Mobile-Handsets/?p=1&s=displayPrice&sd=2

Look at this piss poor selection, the Priv looks like a reasonable choice in comparison. It's not that the Priv is good but the Australian selection is piss poor outside of the 6p I guess. We don't even have the new Moto phones. :suicide:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is NZ any better? Didn't notice phone selection when I was there, plans were cheaper and better than Canada though

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Since NZ uses Aussie plugs I would imagine the selection being the same.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

However, given the current lackluster lineup in Australia is a Priv actually a good choice. I am drawn to how unique it appears in comparison to silver slab #20143253, memes aside is it a good phone?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I really like mine. I have only used one other blackberry phone and that was only for a month, but I've bought in to the whole blackberry hub centralized messaging platform thing. Even if you want to avoid the blackberryness of the whole thing you can. It's a mostly vanilla android experience, similar to Motorola if you just ignore the hub.

I like the keyboard a lot.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I really like mine. I have only used one other blackberry phone and that was only for a month, but I've bought in to the whole blackberry hub centralized messaging platform thing. Even if you want to avoid the blackberryness of the whole thing you can. It's a mostly vanilla android experience, similar to Motorola if you just ignore the hub.

I like the keyboard a lot.
how does the hub work? Can it work on notifications alone?

I pretty much dismissed it as soon as it asked me to enter my Gmail account details in. Bit weirded out by giving my email credentials to a 3rd party (even if they did make my phone).

And the keyboard is best. Compensates for the oversizedness of the phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

I pretty much dismissed it as soon as it asked me to enter my Gmail account details in.

You sound like a typical Crackberry.com comment section poster

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

You sound like a typical Crackberry.com comment section poster

To be fair I wouldn't trust Blackberry with any of my personal information either.

Granted I also wouldn't buy one of their cellular telephones either, but w/e.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

uninterrupted posted:

To be fair I wouldn't trust Blackberry with any of my personal information either.

Granted I also wouldn't buy one of their cellular telephones either, but w/e.

Yeah, if you're buying a BlackBerry phone, drawing the line at entering your gmail credentials into it is utterly retarded.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, if you're buying a BlackBerry phone, drawing the line at entering your gmail credentials into it is utterly retarded.
I see no reason why another company should have full access to my emails. It's just another place I have to worry about leaking data. Even if it is "enterprise security" RIM.

And the only downside is not being able to use some feature that I've never used before. Not a huge deal.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The hub just an alternative email client combined with a notification management system. Your emails, texts, facebook stuff (I choose not to integrate facebook with the hub though) is all centralized in one place. It's pretty nice if that fits your workflow.

You're "giving access" to gmail the same way as you would be if you were setting up your gmail in an imap/pop3 client on a desktop computer. It's not some outside cloud service that reads your email and does poo poo with it. It's just an email client like outlook or mail.app on a mac or iPhone.

When you use the hub you get options like custom notifications like you can set a specific notification for emails that meet the following criteria:

1. From MY GIRLFRIEND
2. Sent between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM
3. Contains the text in the subject line "pregnant"

With that set of criteria you can make a custom notification that:
1. Plays the sound "music of doom"
2. Blink the notification LED red and white

That's one of the cool features you get specifically if you use the hub as your email client.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 1, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

I see no reason why another company should have full access to my emails. It's just another place I have to worry about leaking data. Even if it is "enterprise security" RIM.

And the only downside is not being able to use some feature that I've never used before. Not a huge deal.

You're ignoring your own ignorance. If you're using a phone from RIM, and you don't trust that they cannot track/steal/log literally everything you do on this phone, why do you draw the line at your Gmail specifically?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I was under the assumption that due to the roundabout implementation (vs the 1st class implementation on BB10), the hub used RIMs servers to support push notifications to the device for the hub for the associated services, and thus had full access to gmail/calendar/whatever

Sure, RIM could guzzle everything off my phone if they wanted, but I trust they won't (and I'm guessing somebody would notice). I also trust that they'd store my data securely, but there's no guarantee they will, and there's no guarantee nobody will hack them and sell a data dump somewhere.

If I'm keeping my data somewhere, I'd prefer only the company holding it, and me and my devices to have access to it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So overall the Priv is a good phone. You guys are just bitter at what RIM has done previously?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've used a Priv, it's not that good. Software is fine, hardware is not, it feels flimsy and fragile and the hardware keyboard is useless to me and a relic of the 90s. No way the sliding mechanism will last either, hasn't been out long enough to know for sure yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're ignoring your own ignorance. If you're using a phone from RIM, and you don't trust that they cannot track/steal/log literally everything you do on this phone, why do you draw the line at your Gmail specifically?

More than that, though, is that you're getting an Android phone and using Google services behind the scenes, even if you don't add your Gmail account or whatever. You want to download any apps? You're doing it from the Play store. Getting directions? You'd be silly not to use Google Maps, and you'd be silly to think Google doesn't have access to your GPS data even if you're not using Maps. I can't think of a metaphor off the top of my head, but using an Android phone and either a) not using Google services or b) thinking Google isn't able to collect data from you, is just really silly. Android is a way for Google to collect data that they can monetize, and I don't mean that in any nefarious way, they use it to make your life easier and more convenient. If you have some tinfoil hat reason to want to avoid giving data to Google, using an Android phone is like the dumbest thing you could do (besides being a tinfoil hat guy in the first place, of course).

• Locked thread