Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Last week I installed the blackberry launcher update from the play store and ever since it's been super laggy when hitting the home button while in an app to get back to the launcher. Has anyone else with a priv experienced this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Blackberry question for the blackberry thread-

I'm in the process of starting up a small side business, and looking for voip and/or call forwarding apps for the BB Classic. I don't want to pay for a dedicated hard phone line for a closet of an office that I'll only actually be in a couple of hours a night. I also want to be able to make and receive calls with my business number from my cell phone.

I was looking at ringcentral, as it seems like their app would be perfect for my needs, but the play store won't even give me the option to download it.

My wife suggested forwarding the home phone (that comcast forced us to get, and currently goes unused), which would cover receiving calls, but is there a way to also make calls from that number without having to be at home (home and office are not in the same place, unfortunately)?

Edit- looks like Flyp can be downloaded through the google play store, and it seems to work so far. And after four spam calls in less than an hour, I'm starting to think setting up a google voice number may be the worst phone-related mistake I've made since I dropped my torch in the toilet.

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 10, 2016

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Got my Marshmallow update for my priv today.

Only issue so far was that I was forced to format the sd card. So there goes my photos.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Horse Clocks posted:

Got my Marshmallow update for my priv today.

Only issue so far was that I was forced to format the sd card. So there goes my photos.

You were prompted to format it or it just did it automatically? Why aren't you using an automatic backup like google photos?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I was gonna ask, why are you storing photos on your SD card?

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
pig poop balls

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

You were prompted to format it or it just did it automatically? Why aren't you using an automatic backup like google photos?

I think it asked me. Only it was 6am when I did it and wasn't really thinking. I only use my photos as notes I never refer to.

But my photos are still there, it looks like the only thing I 'lost' was my Google music cache... which seems to disappear right before I get on the underground every few months anyway.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Your Google Music cache....disappears? When you get on a subway? What?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Your Google Music cache....disappears? When you get on a subway? What?

Every few months Google music will decide that my previously downloaded tracks aren't good enough and will redownload them.

This usually happens sometime around 5:30pm right when I'm about to go out of cellular data range.

I've just assumed that it's the license for that 'copy' of the song expiring.

Either way, it's bizarre and infuriating.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've been using Google Music all access subscription since it came out here, years now, and I've never had that happen nor heard of it happening until now.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been using Google Music all access subscription since it came out here, years now, and I've never had that happen nor heard of it happening until now.

Same here

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not saying either of you are wrong but depending on how you use google music, your travel patterns, and your local cell / wifi coverage, this could totally happen to you and you'd never know.

Also it's possible that it's a license thing op but usually those require validation much sooner than that, I thought. I'm inclined to blame Google finding a bug, and this situation is a result of some lovely patch job.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

No that's fine, Google's QA can actually be hilariously bad sometimes. But his issue is completely nonsensical and if there was a bug that severe it would probably would have cropped up by now. It doesn't even make sense, your pinned music cache has literally nothing to do with cell signal quality.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

CLAM DOWN posted:

No that's fine, Google's QA can actually be hilariously bad sometimes. But his issue is completely nonsensical and if there was a bug that severe it would probably would have cropped up by now. It doesn't even make sense, your pinned music cache has literally nothing to do with cell signal quality.

Right, which is why I was making the point that maybe this happens more often and you only ever notice it when you have mediocre coverage. But you're right, it would likely be much more widespread (and would crop up as the clock ticked over and your phone was in airplane mode, say).

It's weird for sure, though.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Is the BB Priv a good phone? I'm looking to replace a Dual SIM (No longer required) Lumia 630 and I would hate to stay on WP.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arsten posted:

Is the BB Priv a good phone? I'm looking to replace a Dual SIM (No longer required) Lumia 630 and I would hate to stay on WP.

Not even remotely. If you want an Android phone, get a Nexus or an S7/S7 Edge/upcoming Note 6.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not even remotely. If you want an Android phone, get a Nexus or an S7/S7 Edge/upcoming Note 6.

What's wrong with it? I ask because I'm going to annoy a store sales guy for an in-person fondle of several phones and I'd like to have some fore knowledge.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arsten posted:

What's wrong with it? I ask because I'm going to annoy a store sales guy for an in-person fondle of several phones and I'd like to have some fore knowledge.

I got a free one at work because we were an old fashioned Blackberry shop until we recently start switching to Samsung Knox. The Priv looks good enough, but even feels cheap and flimsy, the plastic back isn't even solid. The sliding mechanism is awkward, the keyboard is odd and pointless and not nearly as good/efficient as the old school Bold, etc. The phone software itself is very mediocre, the camera is poo poo, battery is average, and there have been a multitude of performance issues over the course of the phone's lifespan. There's simply no valid reason to get one, over the alternatives.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Arsten posted:

It's a bad phone, slow hardware, software won't get supported and Blackberry is eventually getting out of selling phones. Keyboard is hilariously bad.

An in-person rep won't recommend it either, they don't make cases for the phone because no one buys.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I got a free one at work because we were an old fashioned Blackberry shop until we recently start switching to Samsung Knox. The Priv looks good enough, but even feels cheap and flimsy, the plastic back isn't even solid. The sliding mechanism is awkward, the keyboard is odd and pointless and not nearly as good/efficient as the old school Bold, etc. The phone software itself is very mediocre, the camera is poo poo, battery is average, and there have been a multitude of performance issues over the course of the phone's lifespan. There's simply no valid reason to get one, over the alternatives.

Sad.

Duckman2008 posted:

It's a bad phone, slow hardware, software won't get supported and Blackberry is eventually getting out of selling phones. Keyboard is hilariously bad.

An in-person rep won't recommend it either, they don't make cases for the phone because no one buys.

Didn't they just release an update to Android 6? And if they stop selling phones, what are they going to sell?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arsten posted:

Didn't they just release an update to Android 6? And if they stop selling phones, what are they going to sell?

Software, they definitely want to focus on their software and services, aimed at the enterprise market. Handsets from them are done.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Software, they definitely want to focus on their software and services, aimed at the enterprise market. Handsets from them are done.

Yeah....except that they are waiting like 10 years to do that with BES.....you know years after everyone cancelled their subscriptions? Or are they hoping they can hang on to just enough government contracts to stay afloat?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arsten posted:

Yeah....except that they are waiting like 10 years to do that with BES.....you know years after everyone cancelled their subscriptions? Or are they hoping they can hang on to just enough government contracts to stay afloat?

A surprising number of shops still use BES, and BES12 is a surprisingly good product. We'll see, there's hope there but you know, it's RIM, who the gently caress knows. That part of their company definitely still is profitable, for now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I liked the blackberry priv, especially the keyboard, but I had a CarPlay capable stereo in my car, and also use a magnet mount to hold my phone in the car which disabled touch on the priv (like a wallet style case with a screen cover would) so I switched to the iPhone 6s. I miss the priv and CarPlay is lame. I'd gladly go back if I could overcome the screen cover thing.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

A surprising number of shops still use BES, and BES12 is a surprisingly good product. We'll see, there's hope there but you know, it's RIM, who the gently caress knows. That part of their company definitely still is profitable, for now.

Apparently they are introducing two new phones this year, one of them next week. Has anyone told them they are out of the phone business?

GutBomb posted:

I liked the blackberry priv, especially the keyboard, but I had a CarPlay capable stereo in my car, and also use a magnet mount to hold my phone in the car which disabled touch on the priv (like a wallet style case with a screen cover would) so I switched to the iPhone 6s. I miss the priv and CarPlay is lame. I'd gladly go back if I could overcome the screen cover thing.

What issues or quirks did you have with it, if any, if you don't mind my asking?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

gently caress the haters.

Love my priv, despite its shortfalls.

Yes, it has poo poo battery life.
Yes, it's not very performant.
Yes, it randomly decides to turn into a hand warmer.
Yes, it's a big square block and awkward to put in any pocket.

But I loving love the keyboard, I can actually type with it and type what I want, not something I've ever been able to do with an onscreen keyboard.

Plus the slider is dope, so satisfying.

If my phone broke, I'd buy a £10 dumbphone from tesco to hold me over until BlackBerry released the next keyboard phone.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 21, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

All great things for a modern smartphone :confused:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

All great things for a modern smartphone :confused:

Some people like different things. :shrug:

Horse Clocks posted:

gently caress the haters.

Love my priv, despite its shortfalls.

But I loving love the keyboard, I can actually type with it and type what I want, not something I've ever been able to do with an onscreen keyboard.

Plus the slider is dope, so satisfying.

If my phone broke, I'd buy a £10 dumbphone from tesco to hold me over until BlackBerry released the next keyboard phone.

All great things to know. What performance has suffered? Like games, or does opening Chrome make it act like you are downloading the library of congress?

When I tested it at the store, it seems responsive and fast. Battery life can be an issue, but I'm usually near enough to a car to keep things charged, so that can be mitigated.

And the iPhone 6 my wife has randomly super-heats and the battery drops to 10% in 20 minutes - Apple gave her a new one. Is that something common with Privs or a defect that they'll fix?

My work's iPhone 6+ fits in my pocket with room to spare, though, so that's one thing that won't bother me much! :v:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Arsten posted:

And the iPhone 6 my wife has randomly super-heats and the battery drops to 10% in 20 minutes - Apple gave her a new one. Is that something common with Privs or a defect that they'll fix?

All privs get hot. That's just how it goes with that particular phone.

I can't think of anything I really disliked about it except the fact that it sucked at being a useful phone in the car. (Not for texting and stuff, just for navigation and music playing)

I'm pretty particular about things being "just so" in the car so I know that I'm an edge case and most people aren't going to feel the same about it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Arsten posted:

All great things to know. What performance has suffered? Like games, or does opening Chrome make it act like you are downloading the library of congress?

When I tested it at the store, it seems responsive and fast. Battery life can be an issue, but I'm usually near enough to a car to keep things charged, so that can be mitigated.

My work's iPhone 6+ fits in my pocket with room to spare, though, so that's one thing that won't bother me much! :v:

Really, I think it's issues are pretty minor. They're all just bad when compared to equally priced or speced phones.

It's poo poo battery life is only poo poo for the 3400mAh battery. It gets the same longevity as my MotoG did, which had a 2000-something battery. I usually end my day with 30-40%. I expected a little more tbh. But not a dealbreaker, I could probably eek out 2 days with batterysaver turned on for the last 15%.

For the most part, the phone is snappy, but occasionally I find it starts to take a while to respond to input, and occasionally it becomes a pocket warmer. But this could be related to the apps I use.

A lot of people say the camera is poo poo, but I only use the camera to take photos of notes, and poo poo that's broken in my house to send to the builders.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Arsten posted:

Just buy the lovely phone, you don't need to convince everyone else you're making a good decision. If you can look at the feature list (from a fan of the phone!) of subpar battery, slow and spotty performance, awful camera, too big and bulky, bad manufacturer that is going to be abandoning phones altogether soon, and not competitive with similarly priced phones and say "Some people like different things. :shrug:", then just buy the dumb thing because you're not looking for advice.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I used to be completely behind physical keyboards, but two years into screen touch keys and I'm waaaaaaaaaaay faster than before thanks to Swype.

It took a long rear end time to get there though. Physical qwerty is absolutely something I see a use case for with my older clients -- who don't really use their phones enough to get good.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Just buy the lovely phone, you don't need to convince everyone else you're making a good decision. If you can look at the feature list (from a fan of the phone!) of subpar battery, slow and spotty performance, awful camera, too big and bulky, bad manufacturer that is going to be abandoning phones altogether soon, and not competitive with similarly priced phones and say "Some people like different things. :shrug:", then just buy the dumb thing because you're not looking for advice.

If you need to chest beat about how much better you are than the average person, do it in front of your mirror so the entire audience who cares is there with you. Also, learn reading comprehension, it'll make you look like less of an idiot.

GutBomb posted:

All privs get hot. That's just how it goes with that particular phone.

I can't think of anything I really disliked about it except the fact that it sucked at being a useful phone in the car. (Not for texting and stuff, just for navigation and music playing)

I'm pretty particular about things being "just so" in the car so I know that I'm an edge case and most people aren't going to feel the same about it.

That's pretty much the deal breaker to me as I need it to be responsive in a vehicle. That's a major reason I'm not going back to the WPs - my current Lumia tells me to drive through lakes :v:

Thanks almost dead BB thread!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Arsten posted:

If you need to chest beat about how much better you are than the average person, do it in front of your mirror so the entire audience who cares is there with you. Also, learn reading comprehension, it'll make you look like less of an idiot.

lol drat

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arsten posted:

He's not remotely wrong.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

He's not remotely wrong.

Except that he is (and you are).

I'm investigating ten phones and the more I can learn about actual real world use cases, the better informed I am. Looking at it and going "OMG, It has an SD 808 with a 2x4 1.8/1.44 processor and it's NOT an SD 820 4x4 2.2/1.8 processor and that makes it SLOW" is useless to me. How is it slow? Do I have to wait three seconds between key presses or will it just run games (that I rarely play) like poo poo? Is the battery going to last 6 to 8 hours of moderate use or will it last 2? It doesn't fit in a pocket. Great, both of my current phones are in a car's console, on a desk, in my hand, or buried in luggage greater than 90% of the time I have them. It's an 18MP camera? The camera I use for photos is 10MP. It's not going to get software updates? Great, it's like 75% of Android phones out there. The keyboard isn't awesome? It's better than the touch keyboards that won't work with my hands in gloves.

The battery fires and the terribad GPS are the reasons I'm out on the Priv. Information I wouldn't have had if I had just listened to the first two responses and done no more research. Opinions, by the way, that I can get with every phone I'm looking at, including whatever phones you two personally get off on. But, no, in asking for particulars to find a phone to fit me, I'm obviously trying to "convince everyone else" I'm "making a good decision". I have no idea who I'm trying to convince about a decision that few here will probably see the resolution on, but I'm trying. :rolleyes:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

God I hate BlackBerry users. I can't wait until this company dies in a dumpster fire.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

God I hate BlackBerry users. I can't wait until this company dies in a dumpster fire.

I'm glad you still love me. :glomp:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Arsten posted:

That's pretty much the deal breaker to me as I need it to be responsive in a vehicle. That's a major reason I'm not going back to the WPs - my current Lumia tells me to drive through lakes :v:

Thanks almost dead BB thread!
The not working in the car thing is specific to using a magnet mount which disables touch, and my car stereo not integrating with google play music. If it weren't for the touch thing I'd say it was fine in the car, especially if you use tasker to read out your text messages as they come in (you can set it to detect when it's on your car's Bluetooth connection and only read them when it's on)

If you have a stereo with android auto it would be a very good phone for the car.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I thought it did 3 years ago?

• Locked thread