Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The General posted:

Storage in SR4 is considered to be infinite, except when doing something like backing up the Gibson.

Cyberpunk V3 does the same. It also got stuck in the same trap as that GURPS example and the current line of thinking is don't even try predicting memory sizes, just assume that there's enough to go around. There's a comment in one of the 2020 corp books of a watch that doubles as a data storage device with a whopping 64kb capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bobfly posted:

Yep. I believe they have a no-retcon policy towards pretty much the entire game universe, which on one hand I think is really cool and makes for a very comprehensive storyline since they don't have to reinvent everything every 10 years, but on the other hand does lead to some odd anachronisms in the game's world view as made especially apparent by the very 80s 'OMG Japan!' sentiment and China being pretty much non-existent on the economic scene. Not counting the Wuxing corporation, which I believe was written into power relatively recently.
It's funny, actually, seeing how the game world changes to reflect the current and becoming a warped version of our own on a 60-year delay timer.

Don't forget all the Indian corporations that popped up in 5-7 years between 3rd Edition and 4th. However, from Shadows Of Asia, you can see them starting to updating their world to account for an emergent India.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Christ, I just played SR4 in a long time and got dicked wtih 6500 nuyen for the whole group. This was after I rammed my armored Chrysler-Nissan into the equivalent of a prefabricated double-wide, the GM rules that it's stuck and the rest of the team burns my car.

I'm so pissed now that I'm very much thinking of not playing in that friend's games anymore.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FirstCongoWar posted:

There's a fine line between removing resources to challenge your group and being a total dick, and the GM might have crossed it, but it doesn't sound like it's entirely his fault. The other players DID decide to burn it instead of try to figure out some way to get it out.

I'd talk to him about it before you just up and quit, though. Maybe he thinks he's making things challenging as opposed to incredibly annoying.

I'm thinking of bring this up next week. I'm going to start running my Rifts game soon, and I somewhat forgave him using the base books character dice roll, which gave him a higher stats than expected, instead of the alternate method I had the other players use. I've been debating bringing it up to him, because my other players want me to have them reroll, even if we're about four-five sessions into the game. Their stats are more or less set in, his isn't. I really hate to go into tit-for-tat GMing, but it's burning me up inside.

I may have completely misread how he was running this game, or if this is could be a plot point. But it still pretty much stings that, according to him, we're supposed to be noobs to shadowrunning, so much so that we can be tricked by a shady Johnson on our first run, even if we have an Olympic-class SMG sharpshooter on our team, who rolls 17 dice to hit and do damage with; an eco-terrorist shaman; a magic-using arcology survivor; and my Marine/Navy SEAL Delta Force/French Foreign Legion reject who is a physical adept and wheelwoman.

==I'm sorry if the following is this should be in the Best or Worst Gaming Experience, but it's related to Shadowrun==

Of course, they say it's my own fault, and it is, because it's my character's nature to do poo poo like this. Maybe I should post this here to give some background: The run was to break in to a site under construction by an Aztechnology subsidiary, implant a virus onto the computers, and that's it. We're given large leeway in neutralizing security (i.e. killing everyone). The on-site security was one group of off-duty Lone Star cops, another group of former 'runners, and two security riggers, who could take control of the construction equipment and summon up a combat drone. Also, we have a short window of time because, since they're AZT, they'll have a response team with an Aguilar in the air and on site in three minutes following the first sign of trouble. We're given blueprints and readouts of the mainframe, blah blah blah. The target mainframe is located in a prefab building, constructed of drywall and corrugate, essentially an oversized double-wide trailer home. We have 10 hours to get this done. We do a quick recon of the area, astral perception detects a big shield or bond over the site, but it's little concern. I get in my position, hose the off-duty cops, the shaman casts chaotic world and manabolts on the remaining guards outside, the other two members storm the building and shoot it out with the runner-equivalent guards. We find out the mainframe is housed in a panic room and the rest of the structure is a flimsy decoy. The two runners inside the building are unable to penetrate the panic room's door with their magic or submachinegun, where the remaining guards, the riggers, and the mainframe are in. Meanwhile, the shaman is running inside to take cover from the construction cranes and the drone, exhausted from having to raise a spirit to fight off the cranes, while my character runs back to my car to drive the characters out. The runners are unsuccessful in their persuasion attempts to get the runners out.

Since things are starting to get hairy outside, I decide to use my "thrill-seeking" disadvantage, and pull off a Dukes of Hazzard jump into the prefab. I blurt out for my comrades to "make a ramp" or "clear the way", but only one or two of them have their PANs on and are otherwise ignored. I do it anyway, using gravel piles around the site for lift, burn an edge point, make a 10 hit roll, hitting the doors (8/9 barriers) at full speed with my "Charger" (10/10 at 180m/turn), doing an ungodly amount of damage (20 hits), while the "Charger" takes nothing (half collision damage versus the "Charger"'s armor is cancelled out), and crushing two of the 'runner guards in the process. Everyone is in shock at what just happened. The GM then decides that the car is stuck and can't be moved, the floor doesn't suddenly collapse allowing it to escape, nothing. I can't even put it into reverse to go back out the front door.

We get another initative roll, our subgunner savant mows down the two other guards, the mage goes looking for the slot, but ignores the two riggers. The drone moves in, and on a random roll by the GM, opens up with two LMGs on our drained shaman, almost killing her. The shaman's character becomes frustrated that he's being picked on, considering my vehicle is the bigger threat (it is), but since it's likely it can take it (it would've), he needed something to shoot at. The GM wouldn't let me or anyone else burn a point to save his character from getting plugged so I could've interrupted their turn. I still think he cheesed that roll, because getting shot with a full burst at close range, regardless if it's narrow or wide, is a death sentence. Anyway, I hose one of the riggers, the shaman flamethrowers other one, then starts working on my car, because the GM says we can't get it out and have to destory the evidence. The game session ends, we get that lovely deal which just pours salt into the wound.

The big problem is that my Gearhead goes off that car, which not only is a waste of 5 BP from Resources (the "Charger" is the Chrysler-Nissan Patrol 1, which was the closest thing I could find to a muscle car) but another 5 BP from Positive Qualities.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FutureBoy posted:

Hey, I'm running a game right now and it occurred to me that no information had ever been revealed about Dubai in the post awakened world. Does anyone know if any sourcebooks cover this?

Shadows of Asia or Target: Wastelands might have some data, but right now, it's an unknown. Checking the Middle East section of the Sixth World wiki, the United Arab Emirates has been absorbed into the Nation of Arabia. Given Dubai's current state and it's predicted future, it looks like Dubai could be a feral city in Shadowrun.

Crap. Beaten, because I got distracted with the Sixth World wiki and didn't his Submit.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

Digging this back up because I was flipping through some books. Dubai is in Corporate Enclaves, but it only gets a few pages. It is most definitely not a Feral City, as it's one of the few places in the Middle East actually worth visiting, if you've got the nuyen, of course.

When "Corporate Enclaves" was written in 2007, Dubai was an extravagantly prosperous city. The big problem is, in real life, that prosperity is unsustainable. The recent economic downturn exposed that Dubai's wealth comes from it's real estate holdings, not trade or oil or anything else. Which is pretty interesting since Dubai is nothing but sand.

What I'm saying is that Dubai is already pretty shaky as is. It's unlikely if Dubai will survive for another decade, let alone more than half a century.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

YOTC posted:

Wasn't a good chunk of the middle east blown up by a dragon when they declared jihad on metahumans?

Only Tehran.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yes, and the Soviet Union didn't break up until around 2030. Shadowrun in know way represents reality, and thank god for that.

It does eventually. Remember, cellphones got progressively small and cheaper in the prior editions, up until everyone can have them and get can wireless internetmatrix for everyone. Also, Berlin getting taken over by anarchists (which had it's inspiration found in the "autonomen" squatters and the creation of an autnomous zone in Kreuzberg in the '90s, extrapolated to the whole city) and it's subsequent retaking by corporate powers (the autonoms failed, and that neighborhood and other left-radical focal points, like Kopi, are being gentrified).
In 4th edition, we have "Hindus up, Japs down", which reflects the new thoughts that Japan, Inc. as a memory of the '80s and the new reality is BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, and China).

Shadowrun has always been topical.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

At the same time, being a mundane, uncybered bloke does have it's advantages, at least starting. You should be free to spend more BPs in stuff like skills, more points in Edge (which, if you're human, you start with 2 already, and, if the poo poo hits the fan, you can burn those for instant extra init. passes, exploding dice, also instant bacon-saving), contacts, etc. An uncybered mundane can still be playable, but it'll be a strictly roleplaying character, like a face or fixer.

Also, if you're looking to play someone who trains to be the absolute pinnacle of human perfection, might I suggest an adept.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Last night, we found out vehicles are no where near as untouchable as they where in previous editions. It did take us an hour of debating to find this out though, since our GM kept going into "automatically double vehicle armor vs. character weapons" and us pulling out that the 4th edition vehicle section that does say "treat as character's armor/body". I knew the Body and Armor ratings were higher than previous editions for a reason.

I got a pretty good shot last night at clipping a Revolution monowheel and completely wrecking it and it's Troll occupant.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

1) Not that much. I have a player in the SR game I'm in with a 17 dice pool for submachineguns, so it's fairly easy to get that high if they know what they're doing. The biggest thing is to limit his line of sight, maybe force him into shorter ranges where rate of fire and rapid target acqusition is more important than accuracy at long range. Smoke generators and grenades can also work to neutralize his advantages. The aforementioned ultrasound may pick him up, but ultrawideband radar is even better, since it has takes 5 times it's rating in structure to block it (which means it can detect him hiding behind a Patrol One or a concrete abutment) and have ranges up to 100m. Unless he's using subsonic ammo (which is unlikely if he's firing at long ranges, since it reduces ranges by 20% and only gives a -1 die to detection, -2 when paired with a silencer), noise analysis with spatial recognizing software will give +2 dice pool to identify sounds. Also, countersnipers.

Also, is he carrying a fully assembled rifle everywhere he goes? I really think that's his biggest problem outside of the op's tactics. The big problem with sniper rifles are their size. They are unconcealable for the most part. Unless he's using a SM4, which can be disassembled to fit in a briefcase, he'll have to carry it around in paper bag and say it's curtain rods, like Lee Harvey. Although, his mileage may vary. A car comes in handy for this, whether as transport, (keep it in the trunk and if stopped say your going hunting) or, like Lee Malvo, a firing platform. Again, his mileage may vary.

2) Pheromones would likely trigger chemsniffers. There are also specialized phermone sniffers used to detect overworking metahumans (and menstrating females). While it doesn't say, I would apply the rating of the tailored pheromones as a bonus to the chemsniffer.

3) High level, high loyalty contact like that would be like a friend. It would be wise to use him as the team's fixer. Of course, the fixer may or may not pay the sniper since they are friends, but it also would mean he's not going to throw them to the police or the corps.

4) Sounds reasonable. Runner Companion might have something to say, but I'd say it's fair.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 28, 2009

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

YOTC posted:

Isn't 4 the highest you can buy a skillgroup at character creation?

Yes. I don't even need the book to know that information. :smug:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tias posted:

Not really a success IMHO. Three of the players (one was absent) either had played 3rd a loong time ago or had no experience with Shadowrun whatsoever. This didn't pose any problems as they were good players and avid readers, but jesus christ did the game get bogged down with looking up rules and rolling dice - my players are the type that will like to use all optional rules and learn them by heart, it's part of the fun for them, so I've decided to get a lot better acquainted with the rules so I can just tell them what to roll and get on with them.

That sounds a lot like what happened in our game recently. The GM had been pretty well-versed the previous editions of Shadowrun, that he kept doubling the barrier ratings and vehicle armors, like you did in third edition and earlier (which made the already clunky vehicle rules even more so when on-foot people were shooting them). We ended getting into a 30-minute derail over this, since SR4 already has already prefactored vehicle armor to be more resilient. He eventually relented when we pulled out examples from SR4.

The biggest thing I have to say about SR4 is forget everything you know about the previous versions of Shadowrun and start fresh.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tias posted:

So the general consensus is that you CAN use a smartlink without getting a DNI or implanted commlink, for example by connecting your commlink to your head by trodes and going wireless, or jury-rigging your image link to accept eye gestures for the smartlink?

To add something to this discussion, I pretty sure, if not in Augmentation, then in previous books like Man & Machine and Cybertechnology, that Smartlinks are a spin-off technology from Simsense. I know that M&M has even a breakdown on how the Smartlink cyberware package works, including using a limited Simsense rig. So, if you can use a Simsense rig (or can't, because you bought that Simsense Sensitivity or Euphoria or whatever disadvantage), then you could use a smartgun link.

Also, you can get an image link or a smartgun-only image link through goggles, monocles, contact lenses.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tias posted:

But having a "smartgun-only" image link brings up the whole dilemma again: How can you issue a "mental command" to eject a clip if the only connection to your gun is a pair of eye glasses with an image-link? It makes no sense, unless you let the glasses register som sort of eye gesture as a valid command.

Originally, back in the previous editions, smartgun goggles only added a +1 modifier instead of +2. In essence, you were plugging your smartgun into your smartgun googles and having the googles specify targets by using eye gestures, painting reticles of where your gun was aimed at, etc. I still think that the mental commands required a full smartgun link in the previous books, one of the many advantages having an implanted smartlink over using goggles.

In fourth edition, they simplified greatly by giving you the same modifier regardless if it's built into wearable optics or implants and that trodes or skinlinks can transfer data to and from the gun, you, and your glasses. That "limited simsense rig" I mentioned earlier could now be built into your contacts, given the advanced technology in 4th edition.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tias posted:

Well, as long as it can be done with 'trodes I'm satisfied. It seems like needlessly invasive to NEED a DNI or implanted comm-link to control smartgun mechanisms.

Think about the national and corp militaries in SR. They obviously would have smartlinks out the wazoo, because you're doubling the effectiveness of your average soldier or security guard. But, that also means every time a grunt gets demobbed you're either having him walk off with an advanced military targeting computer or pulling an expensive hunk of unsterile and thus un-reusable cyberware and paying him for his rest and recuperation.

Yeah, it's better to use 'trodes or skinlinks for stuff like that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zereth posted:

... did you miss the options for used cyberware?

Do you think the military or a corporation would reuse cyberware? I understand the market but ewwwww....

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

How far outside Seattle are we talking about here? Remember, if you go north of U.S. Route 2 in Everett, south of Fort Lewis, east of Puget Sound or west of the Redmond barrens, you're in Salish-Shidhe, which is another country. In fact, they'll need passes to get out of Seattle. They will likely run into either the elven Sinsearch or the anti-Anglo Cascade Crow tribal militas for general complications or the SSC unified military if they really gently caress up.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Well, there's Redmond barrens, which is the closest you'll come to an honest-to-god wasteland in Seattle. There was a nuclear meltdown at some point in it's history, which earned it the name Glow City.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

For something like that, I'd recommend something like Fuzion rules set. It allows for you to plug in different elements as you progress, such as power armor and cybernetics.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Catalyst Games released a couple of Seattle maps in PDFs in the run up to Runner Havens. They give you an idea where it's located in relation to Salish-Shidhe Council and Tir Tairngire.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I've always wanted to do a Wages of Fear/Sorceror-inspired campaign in Northern California. The players would be disgraced 'runners who are now finding work as mercenaries for the Native Californians, Humanis Policlub and rogue elements in JIS Army Intelligence, fighting against various TT Peace Force reservists or Tir-backed militias.

The whole thing really is to put reasons to why Humanis and other human supremcist groups exists, instead of the cardboard cutout racists they're presented as.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zereth posted:

Also try to avoid using distinctive weapons like assault cannons and be prepared to destroy your guns and repaint and re-ID your vehicles after a run.

There are chameleon LCD paintjobs and morphable license plates available for those with less-than-legal occupations.

Also, a mage or shaman with the Sterlize spell can be your best shadowrun asset, as it eliminates fingerprints, dead skin flakes, saliva, blood traces, etc from a run and can prevent a material link.

Of course, if you're facing Lone Star magic investigation or something similar, they can pick up astal signatures if Sterlize is used. It's best used sparingly.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

You could also hunt down Target: Wastelands, for some Desert Wars action in post-nuclear Libya.

Cyberpirates is also a decent find, if only because the authors really did their research. The Philipines, even after the JIS recall, and the Ivory Coast of Africa are all pretty major hotspots, even in the 2070s.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

That's why you always keep at least two of those Astral Smoke grenades from Arsenal on you. There is no such thing as a paranoid Runner, just a prepared one.

I was thinking about an organic ghille suit, where the suit provides nourishment for the living plants on woven into the suit.

(That's not in the official rules, but I'm pretty sure a decent GM could make the rules for one)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

McGravin posted:

Theoretically possible, but it would probably be very fragile and kind of impractical. The mage is still going to aim his powerbolts at the strange bush perched on top of that building over there.

True that. That's why you hide in a tree, on top of a rooftop garden, a park or surrounding vegetation. Ghille suits, in general, would be used if you're reconning the Tir border or fighting mages in forested terrain.

Would a trench with a sod roof also protect against astral detection? Might be able to pull off something in a city.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

Alright, I've got a bit of a problem in my current game. I need the technomancer to keep up with the rest of the party.

Now, while everyone else gets fancy gear(really fancy considering they're all gangers), the techno advances soley by karma. So aside from giving him double karma, I really can't think of a way to help him. You guys got any ideas?

Can't a technomancer use drones?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tias posted:

Also, he should be an ork :)

Actually, for Brock, I'd use the Giant metavariant. That way, you get both the size, toughness, and strength necessary to pull off Brock-like stunts. Troll adepts are something to be loving feared, especially with the +1 Reach in melee.

Also, since most Giants come from Scandanvia, he would still be a Swedish murder machine.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm not sure how logical it would be for a high end manager to hire what is effectively a bunch of mercenary criminals to protect his daughter and chill out at his house. Generally megacorps have their own security for that sort of thing, and someone who ranks high enough to have such a nice house probably lives on the compound anyway. And if he already has guards then it makes even less sense.

Don't make it the manager's daughter, make it his mistress (or "daughter", it's a roleplaying thing between them) and it's the manager's love nest. That way it's off the books, requiring you to bring in off-the-street contractors to guard the house.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I would cut down the Red Samurai to about 4 or 6 plus a Veteran Company Man instead of the mage and cyberzombie, give them undercover armor and weapons, because loving military/security armor is too loving obvious and they're supposed to be incognito. Think Munich not S.W.A.T.. So, maybe an armor jacket or that Urban Explorer or whatever it's called, with silenced FN Praetors or HK227Ss as their primaries and 5-7s for sidearms. If the Red Samurai are too elite, make them lower-level Renraku security.

Have the team encounter the inital four, and if they can't take the team in the first couple rounds or are suppressed, have the other two plus the company man to come in. If the inital four are wiped out by the team in the first couple rounds, the rest would cut their losses and try again later.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The General posted:

Speaking of Renraku, I read they went under. What's up with that? When did that happen? They used to be my DM Threat. 'You fuckers had better smarten up, or I'm sicking Renraku on your asses." And now they are gone :(

I also noticed that Lone Star was fired and Knight Errant was called into action. This new world is all sorts of hosed up.

I believe you might be thinking about Fuchi, but Fuchi was gone by 3rd Edition, because of the corporate wars following the divestment of Dunkelzahn's portfolio.

Renraku loss ownership of the Seattle Arcology to the UCAS government after Deus' siege (who then turned it into a big low-income housing project/military cantonment) and it's position was weakened by the Child Emperor of Japan and his new metahuman liberalization, but Renraku's still around.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tias posted:

This raises an interesting question to me. Will suffering an EMP blast really blind someone with cybereyes? In that case, what about their other equipment? SR itself states that they invented (sometime in the twenties?) the optical chip that would not burn out when subjected to EMP.

Now it stands to reason that equipment isn't auto-upgraded the minute a new invention comes along, there's a lot of testing and monopolies for rich folks ahead of that, but would a pair of somewhat-recently installed cybereyes run optical? Or do they have other parts the EMP would destroy?

Figure this might be of assistance

Arsenal, page 57 posted:

EMP Grenade: Th is weapon does not detonate like a normal grenade, instead sending out a powerful electromagnetic pulse
designed to create damaging current and voltage surges in electronic
items. Though most electronics in 2070 are optical based, an EMP blast can still affect power supplies, anything linked to an antenna or electric cable, or older/cheaper devices with integrated circuits, transistors, inductors, or silicon chips. Most cyberware is also unaffected; RFID chips, however, are extremely vulnerable to EMP attacks.

In short, most cyberware is unaffected because of optical technology and various non-traditional power supplies (nuclear batteries, body heat thermocouples, fueled by iron content in blood, etc.). That said, any cyberware that has outside communications, like that implanted commlink, will be affected, although it's less "the whole thing burns out and becomes a useless hunk of metal and plastic in your body" and more like "the antenna has been damaged, reducing your Signal rating".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

I described it as a pretty big device so maybe something only Ares has would make sense as well...sort of a "cyberware knock out" tool.

You could use something like a wide-angle, vehicle-mounted version of the Fichetti Pain Inducer. Considering the Fichetti Pain Inducer is a man-portable version of the Raytheon Active Denial System, it's safe to assume that larger-scale things like this are commonplace.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tias posted:

If I understand it correct, the 'ware is part of your PAN as centered around your commlink (mods exist that lets your weapon or specific 'ware be the center instead). If you can crack the PAN, you can shut-down the 'ware.

I am not sure though.

Why would your 'ware be wireless? Outside of poo poo like commlinks and the like, why would you go for a wireless connection when nerves, real or artificial, are much more secure than a wireless broadcast? Optical or electrical connections would move just as fast as wireless, maybe faster because it doesn't have to deal with external conditions, body fat impedence, etc.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LGD posted:

Well in this case the corp obviously cares more about their workers' well-being (or at least the PR) than in terminating intruders with maximum prejudice.

Cause if they were real dicks they'd use K-9, since almost certain death with a fair chance of permanent psychosis among any survivors is a small price to pay to convert your office of overweight human shlubs into a band of raging psychopaths individually capable of beating troll gangers into a bloody pulp with a stapler. Kamikaze drugged workers are threatening, people on K-9 are basically rage zombies.

That BTL idea is a drat good one though, especially combined with Psychotropic IC to induce rage/paranoia/protective feelings about their workplace and possibly short term memory loss after the fact.

This. I remember reading something in Cyberpirates that corp facilities out in the middle of nowhere feed their non-management, non-security employees this horrible concoction that causes organ failure if they escape or are kidnap. The thing is, it eventually does causes organ failure, usually after the person has outlived their usefulness.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Faces should always have high Edge. It's something I noticed about the archetype, they have insane amounts of Edge to get them out of jams.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

I'm blatantly stealing this from the first Smokin' Aces (not the lovely second one), but not stealing the assassins entirely. The only two types I am using are with one runner using the facial and vocal changer equipment, and the other being the Tremor brothers (all human). What I would love is for anyone to come up with any 4 remaining assassins (or groups or pairs, etc), with your own unique ideas as to their motives, their method of operation, and how they plan to assassinate the target.

The Tremor brothers are so Shadowrun street sam it's hard not to include them.

Two words: Golgo motherfuckin' 13. Have one of the assassins be a Japanese elite sniper, whose a suave motherfucker and plans for ridiculous, near-impossible shots, like plotting his bullet trajectory through small gaps in billboards or open windows in buildings so as to confuse radar and echolocation detection. Then have some salaryman who looks a bit like him being led as a decoy, so the players think this poor guy is him.

Then follow him up with the heavily-armored, ex-special forces vigilante, whose got a gun for every occasion and has it in for the various organized crime groups, especially the one in the campaign, because they killed his entire family. And he considers 'runners to be criminal scum as well. Basically, have the Punisher, or a thinly-veiled ripoff, show up. In fact, make him a BTL-whacked-out veteran who confused the Punisher's background with his own, so when he shows up bodysculpted to look like Ray Stevenson and dressed in full tactical armor with a skull painted on, the PCs will wig the gently caress out.

I remember coming up with one NPC for a SR game that was essentially manned-up, former SAS and MI-6 spook version of Ron Weasley from Harry Potter.

Just go through various assassination or hitman movies or video games and pick memorable characters and make them your own.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

tendrilsfor20 posted:

So my runners stumbled across a black ops site run by one of the player's contacts, a super-high-up VP at Yamatetsu. (Loyalty 3/Connected 6) that they immediately turned over to the actual management, thinking "Yeah, we'll score some brownie points turning in one of their own who's doing something he shouldn't have been doing"

This didn't go so good for them, and now they're on the run from the real Yamatetsu, who wants to make sure they can't talk, and the splinter faction run by the contact, who wants revenge.

My question: Now that the player has right and truly pissed off his contact and turned him into an antagonist, what should happen to that XP? Do I refund it to the player? Refund at a reduced rate? Say, "Tough Titty, kid!" like Audrey II?

How long have you guys been playing? If it's been awhile, then "Tough Titty". You can lose contacts in-game as much as you can gain contacts.

However, what you can do is, unless the player with the Yamatetsu contact did the turnover (because, if he did, he threw his own points away), have the VP selectively target his hit teams, sparing the player who bought him; and/or capture the runner and convince him to betray the party to spare his life from the main Yamatetsu contingent and the splinter faction.

Loyalty 3 is something like "an old friend" relationship. I suggest play that angle up.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

d. Sometimes the motivations for the runs only make sense to the writers. One SR4 module I read opened with a PC being raped. The intent was that the Johnson was going to kill their unborn child unless they did as she demanded. I don't know about your groups, but most of my players would say "Sure, have fun with my kid." then kill the Johnson at the earliest opportunity.

I decided to read through that part and caught this part:

Zero Sum Gain posted:

The main consideration is whether the
runner actually gives a drat about the embryo
in Jackson’s womb, something entirely at the
discretion of the player. If the player character
simply leaves and never looks back, oh well. Try
the scene again with another player character.

That and the nature of the ambush is so loving goofy: the situation assumes that a threat level 1 and threat level 0 NPC will be successful in subduing a PC, regardless if that character is wearing a face mask, pain editors, or just has an enormous amount of dice to nullify the effects of the Neuro-Stun gas; if the PC in question isn't magically or cybernetically boosted, has acute danger senses, or is armored out the rear end, that they can turn around and unzip one or both of them before the becoming affected by the gas.

The whole think is railroady as gently caress.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LGD posted:

No, though that might make it something worth taking. It's basically the SR version of the SCAR or AUG where it can be modified to fulfill different roles but much faster than is possible in the real world. It's a basic assault rifle with grenade launcher but the grenade launcher can be swapped for a shotgun and the rifle barrel/chamber can be swapped out for different configurations to fulfill differing roles- marksman, squad support and "being mechanically worse in exchange for a two dice reduction in your concealability modifier".

It's kind of neat but not very practical, especially with that 15F legality rating and the relatively minimal savings over just buying a bunch of guns.

The Steyr AUG-CSL used to be quite a deal in previous editions, where all the modes had 40 round magazines. It was especially handy in carbine mode, where the SR team misunderstood the word "carbine" as short barrel rifle and focused more on the "rifle" part, making it a concealed sniper rifle with burst fire capacity and the rifle category's high damage output.

The SR4/Arsenal version, now, is all sorts of hosed up, because they reduced the magazine size for the Rifle and Submachinegun modes, and restricted the Rifle mode to single action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Let's get this straight: Running takes a great deal of careful coordination of all your limbs, but hand to hand combat, oh no that's easy to do one handed. What the gently caress do they think a fist fight is like? Do they think it's two guys standing there like Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots, extending and retracting their arms?

The unarmed combat rules are ridiculously retarded. Case in point: if I have two guns, I can attack with each gun per hand, with a penalty unless I have ambidexterity or something. With a SA/BF gun, that's like four attacks per init pass. But, if I go into a boxer pose and treat a guy's head like on a speed bag with a flurry of right-left punches, that counts as one attack for each punch or one attack per init pass, regardless how many hands or limbs I have free to attack. I understand there's a lot to do in melee combat, with dodging and parrying, but even on full offense, it's still one attack per init pass.

Edit: It's also not fair to those who bought two cyberlimbs and/or two cyberweapons and tell them they can use only one in a fight.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 24, 2010

• Locked thread