Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I was flipping through SR4-20, and in the gear section, I saw the KH XM30, which has optional attachments that let you strap various guns onto the base assault rifle frame.

Is this how it works? I want a gun that's five guns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

LGD posted:

No, though that might make it something worth taking. It's basically the SR version of the SCAR or AUG where it can be modified to fulfill different roles but much faster than is possible in the real world.

Aww.

Are there rules for customizing weaponry in the Arsenal book?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
How does crafting work in Shadowrun 4e? The rulebook has an example where a dude makes a flashlight and a shiv out of some rubbish, but say I want to flat out make a sniper rifle... say, the Sniper Arms SM4, an availability 16F sexy killing machine. How would I do that?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Tias posted:

What MaliciousOnion said. Also, a Weapons (Sniper Rifles) knowledge skill of at least 3 and/or a knowsoft or skillwire in arms manufacture, to make a working fascimile - well, that or access to the extremely-well guarded blueprints from Sniper Arms if you want the real deal :)

Ed: This is what I would rule as a game master. I'm not really sure if the rules specify how you copy a specific weapon system.

Isn't this what an armory (weapons) skill of six and a logic of seven are for? I mean, if a monstrously high technical skill, a tool facility (armory), a background and knowledge skill in weapons engineering, and brainboosting bioware don't allow you to craft top of the line guns, then what good are these things?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

ltr posted:

If you want something special like that, it's easier just to take the restricted gear quality for 5 BP instead of dropping 100 to 140 BP into being some amazing gunsmith who will still take a month+ to make the sniper rifle.

Armory seems more appropriate for improvised weapons and modifying existing ones like finding a downed Azzie helicoptor and adapting it's minigun to something your str 12 troll buddy can use. Or taking the pistol you're out of ammo for, a tube and some rifle grenades to make a breech loading grenade launcher.

So the rules platform flat out doesn't support being a black-market gunsmith? Boo. Do ANY of the technical skills let you make things, or is it all just for repairs?

It's not so much wanting to exactly make a given weapon as it is being able to make high quality gear.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Alright, so a sniper rifle is too advanced for a lone metahuman to make, fair enough. How about something that isn't very nice? Some shoddy knockoff, a personally built hunting rifle, an assault rifle that was cutting edge a century ago, a revolver that wouldn't have impressed a cattle rustler. Will a Firearm Tool Facility help, or do I need to steal time in a nanoforge? Will a skill of six, defined as a technical wizard who probably has multiple patents, help or do I need to get the edge that lets me raise it to seven and supposedly have a skill level that goes down in history? With a skill of seven and a specialty in weapons, an augmented logic of seven, and a tool facility, that's twenty-two dice on Armory checks.

How low do I need to set the bar to make a gun?

It's got to be possible, there's mention in Street Magic that the attunement metamagic works more easily if the mage makes the item himself from scratch... although it cites a page in the original 4e rulebook, which I don't have access to.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

MaliciousOnion posted:

A contemporary firearm would probably be intricate, so that gives a threshold of 12, and let's say an interval of one week.

Oh, come on. What other checks in system have an interval of one week?

Guns are a more or less mastered technology. They don't have ten million tiny parts, each of which is a mystery to all but the most secretive of corporations--a metal bit is propelled down a tube by a hot gas. The blueprints for a gun are not difficult to obtain and tool science has improved dramatically in eighty years--it's safe to assume a good toolkit has been nano-lathed to remove imperfections, and every surface that would find it useful probably has a Dikote coating on the stress-bearing components.

Saying that making a gun requires technology that hasn't been invented today is downright silly given that, you know, guns exist. And since the example of a commlink, an incredibly advanced miniaturized virtual comparable computer that utilizes technology that may or may not be possible, is considered an 'average' task with a time interval of half an hour, saying a sniper rifle is going to take 336 times longer is equally silly.

Corporations don't dominate the gun market because guns are absurdly complicated--they dominate it by being able to mass produce them on assembly lines and nanoforges, and because if a small competitor bites into their market share they send shadowrunners to kidnap his children.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

MaliciousOnion posted:

But you seem to be implying that making a gun (ie. the Ranger Arms SM-4) would require less time than a commlink and just a tool kit to fabricate. Perhaps an interval of a week is excessive, but half an hour?

Poorly assembled argument on my part. I was trying to show an example of someone crafting a commlink, which is more complicated than a gun--but the example in question was more about repair than construction, anyway. Maybe they feel a shadowrunner shouldn't be making stuff, and should focus instead on leaping off of buildings onto passing cars--but after 3rd had rules for making unique weapons, not even being able to make a stat-similar version of an existing weapon seems like such a loss.

MaliciousOnion posted:

And where did you get that commlink example?

It's in the section about extended tests in general, and it's the only example under 'extended tests' for something even remotely close to making a device of any description. Under 'using technical skills to build or repair' they neglected to include a time frame for anything, which is frustrating.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

MaliciousOnion posted:

What about an interval of an hour to assemble a gun from pre-made parts; interval of a day if you have to machine the parts; interval of a week if you have to design the parts (ie. no blueprints)?

I like these intervals a lot, actually.

The Gate posted:

I'd say three weeks to take a modern firearm from an idea in your head to a functioning prototype is pretty drat amazing, if that's what you want to do. You might say only the best of the best, perhaps someone with skills and knowledge rarely seen could do it that quickly.

Namely, the character you're talking about.

I guess I've gotten too used to huggy kissy yes-you-can storyteller systems, and so my kneejerk reaction to a several week pause on making a purpose-built weapon is, 'but that ruins the adventuuuuure' without caring too much about what a genius weaponsmith could realistically achieve.

I guess I'll tool around with the concept some more to see if I can make him a workable PC.

Edit: I busted out the old Cannon Companion, the 3E book with the rules for designing guns from the ground up. Just like the modern rules, it only has timeframes for modifications--and it heavily implies that custom guns are only limited production runs by major corporations.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 4, 2010

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

The Dregs posted:

Where's a good place to get ideas for Sr adventures? Especially 4E? It seems I am running a game Monday and I haven't played Shadowrun in over 5 years. I don't want to run them through a pre-published railroad, but I am really drawing a blank here.

Dumpshock is really disappointing these days.

I generally give a dirt simple objective (Extract the programmer Thomas McGuffin from the Ares compound!) and then make four "leader" NPCs who do all the thinking and defending. Give each one a random objective and some sort of hook, and then I treat all the other guards and workers and such just a spearholders.

Fer example, I might go for the Head of Technical Security (A rigger/Decker) who's directly managing fast response soldiers and cyber paracritters, a random midlevel guard who happens to have a lot of pull among his peers, the up and coming manager in accounting who is gunning for promotions, and a janitor who has organized a cell of the Humanis Policlub among the workers.

Finally, the Johnson only knows about two of them (probably the executive and the head of tech) and the party only finds out about the others if they do the legwork. If they disrupt and distract a key NPC before the run proper, all of the spearholders beneath that person become disorganized and ineffective. For example, if the rigger is sick, a less talented underling takes over. If the beloved security guard's dad is in a traffic accident and breaks a leg, the guards spend more time talking about that than doing their jobs. If the manager leaves the building to attend a leadership seminar in Houston, the desk jockeys spend less time following regulations and more time taking doughnut breaks in the conference room. And if the Policlub guy is blackmailed about his BTL adiction, he won't rally the manual workers to lynch that orc they saw creeping through the bushes.

Of course, if any of them are killed, Ares (or the Policlub, or whoever) send additional reinforcements to harden the location.

It's a quick and dirty way to take four reasonably fleshed out NPCs and use them to build a security system and simulate a living community, without all of the hassle of actually doing that. And you can complicate the run by giving your individual power players goals (maybe that janitor is robbing the weapons closets, or the manager has a crush on Thomas MacGuffin) to flavor. It's not a start to a big, complicated plot, but as a simple run it's a nice, clean, playable system it works great.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Tias posted:

I realize I will probably be ridiculed for not knowing in advance, but.. What is Outlaw Star?

Best part, rocketships that fight with both giant arms and hundreds of missiles. Extremely dumb, but fun.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
I just want to play an elf with the Elf Poser disadvantage. Even though he's, like, twenty eight, he claims to be almost four hundred years old and constantly makes up stories about being friends with other historical figures who were also totally elves, like Leonardo DaVinchi and Julius Caesar.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
That's, what, a full burst, a burst, and two semi-automatic shots? Seems like an odd number.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
The natural limit of spells is 6, and you can only exceed that through metamagic initiation or taking physical drain

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

Technomancers make magicians look cheap in terms of karma consumption before they can do anything. Nearly any well-made starting hacker will outclass any starting Technomancer from the get go, and when you have an Adept (which costs 5 BP) with the appropriate abilities doing the hacking, forget about ever catching up.

I dunno about the 4th edition version, but in the power description for enhanced skill in the 20th anniversary core book, it says specifically not to allow someone to take adept specifically for these shenanigans.

E: Maybe not! I know I read that somewhere, I'll look into it.

20th ed. rulebook posted:

Adept
Cost:
5 BP

Though this quality is inexpensive, gamemasters should be careful not to allow it to be abused. It should only be taken for characters that are intended to be played as adepts.

I think dropping five BP into getting +3 dice on hacking and claiming to be a "Hacking Adept" is exactly the kind of thing this is condemning.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 13, 2011

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

dirtycajun posted:

Oh man, after the crap I've been pulling these past two weeks I can't wait for the DM retelling post of my group's greatest diversion: The Shadowball Run.

I will explain everything after the actual run tonight, (it contains an MLM, a race through the desert, a Yakuza vs everyone else war, force 10 spirits running amuck, and 490 Shadowrunning crews. Also two trailers with enough military hardware to wipe out a suburb.)

I was eventually convinced that the several million nuyen worth of debt you inflicted on my character (while I, personally, was in another state) was entirely in character, but did you seriously give several thousand shadowrunners reason to hate my character? And if we're using a race involving hundreds of teams of hardened murderous mercenaries to disguise the fact that we're running guns, does whoever we're delivering these guns to mind if they arrive blown up a bit? Because I'm worried that they'll be blown up a bit.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Setting: Abandoned four level factory, surrounded by overgrown wasteland. Have a map.

Opponent: Solitary, well funded Drone Rigger. We don't know where he is. Maybe he's an assassin sent by a corporate type to eliminate a valuable asset of a rival. Maybe he's a runner out to make a name for himself by eliminating an entire team of known runners. Maybe he's taking revenge for his dead brother killed in an earlier run. Who cares, he's an rear end in a top hat trying to kill people! He doesn't need more money than a starting character, honestly, but some high availability weapons might help him.

Uninvolved witnesses: Several orc squatters live in this factory--they've seen the drones crawling about, and can describe the drones if the team things to ask. Otherwise mostly they hide, or get caught in danger. Bonus karma for each one the team makes the effort to save the lives of.

Scouting capabilities: A handful of camouflaged spyballs and skimmers, they're drat near impossible to see and let the rigger track the team at all times. If the team rushes blindly from location to location, though, they might shake them temporarily, or only be monitored by the hover drone by the window, which isn't impossible to see/shoot.

Primary danger: Four smallish spiderbots, who can navigate through the ventilation system and a number of pre-cut holes too small for a runner to pass through. In adition to the welding torch and mono-filament chainsaw, they retrieve explosive det packs from hidden caches in the walls and use these tools to collapse floors, walls, and ceilings about the team.

Why they can't just leave: Two hundred fifty meters up, one of those mini-dirigible drones floats, equipped with downward facing antipersonnel missiles. Party finds out about this when their exploration causes one of the homeless orcs runs out of the factory in a panic, only to be nailed by a missile before he makes it fifteen meters from the door.

Fight!

Of course, all this falls down in the face of a force ten spirit given the order, "Kill those goddamn drones," but so many things do.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
That's why I posted it.

I would suggest after some thought to add some other adversaries, as well... goons, or gangsters, or insect spirits or something, because if the only things you can attack are the four drones that always know where you are and are hiding and running away forever, that's super frustrating for the players. Adding some assholes with barbed-wire wrapped bats won't make the situation easier, but it'll give players something to do besides be frustrated.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Swags posted:

So, a bit gimmicky, I know, but does this seem like a worthwhile group?

Hard to say without knowing what role your sleepytime team plays in the game. When it comes to adversarial characters, it's going to be hard to depict this much characterization before the players shoot them in the face.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Elemental effects, I guess, covered in the magic section, cross referencing seven dozen other rules.

Fer example,

Street Magic posted:

Ice
Attacks with the Ice effect cover the target with a slick coating of frozen water. Treat the Ice effect as Cold damage (p. 154, SR4), except that objects or terrain affected will be encrusted with ice. Anyone trying to cross an icy surface may need to succeed in an Agility + Reaction Test to avoid slipping (with a threshold equal to the attack’s net hits); vehicles must make a Crash Test (p. 159, SR4). Depending on the local temperature, ice may melt quickly.

At the risk of sounding like a smug douchenozzle, surely the strength of Shadowrun as a setting isn't the opportunity to use crazy sciencefantastical weapons, but rather the cyberpunk setting--and your focus should be on nailing that contrast between the haves who live in glass towers and have biosculpted identical security teams and the have nots, who live in buildings abandoned to plague and have Ares Predators and skin conditions.

You could use interesting weapons to highlight that sort of contrast, of course--ecoterrorists in battered trench-coats and gas masks, throwing corrosive gas grenades that leave moss growths on the smoking corpses of their victims, or security guards who use laser painter weapons to designate targets to be killed by wall mounted auto-cannons rather than get their own hands dirty--but personally, I'd focus more on getting the setting correct than giving your players fun toys. Besides, they'll come up with their own toys--my current character wouldn't give up his portable, gas-powered griddle for a dozen ice grenades.

I say all this without knowing why you want these gadgets--do you mind sharing your plans?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Ooooh, you're not doing the Shadowrun setting, which pretty much invalidates everything I said. Carry on!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
We actually houseruled that PCs can't use spirits in combat, only NPCs can (and don't, but whatever). Mostly I summon monstrously enormous spirits to gently caress with the weather.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

dirtycajun posted:

Thanks for the plans on how I eventually wipe all you psychopaths out. I just need to come up with a contingency for you and the Doctor's force 10 spirits.

The more I think about this, the more unnecessary this seems. I have the disadvantage combat paralysis, and don't have super heavy armor. Just walk up to me, pull a gun, doubletap to the chest and you're done.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

Spirts are brokenly overpowered but removing them from the PCs gimps magicians big time.

How so? I can still cast spells to drop ice sheets to control areas, give myself more initiative passes than pretty much anyone, knock people out cold, layer worn armor with the armor spell, place grenades with perfect precision using magic fingers, and I have a gun which I can use to shoot people dead. Plus there's no restriction on armor worn in Shadowrun. I'd have to give up a hell of a lot more than an endless supply of invincible murder summons to be gimped.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Tias posted:

Because.. when you think about it, there's not a whole lot of profit trying to market guns to a demographic like trolls, who make up 5-10% of the global population, is there?

They do have a disproportionately large number of goons and security guards among their number, as society tells them they're too stupid to be MBAs but perfect for beating people into a pulp. I imagine guns, clubs, and leather jackets are some of the things that isn't hard to find in troll sizes, unlike surveying equipment, sliderules, and crochet needles.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Swags posted:

So my game did not go at all like I thought it would. Urgh. Somehow it turned into an interrogation/investigation/car chase/nightclubbing session.

They never do. Be glad that they didn't go hide in the warehouse full of rigger--the next adventure would be a run to scrag the fixer who sent them to that 'safe' location.

Protip: The next time the runners decide to ignore people or groups searching for them, park an APC outside the nightclub and have a half dozen armored dudes rappel in through the front wall (whee shaped charges!) while a pair of phys-ad assassins dressed as ravers try to get close and shank 'em. Aim for one maiming. Don't worry about the party getting loot these guys drop--there are more heavilly armed swat teams outside, and lonestar is on the way! time for a fighting retreat! Seriously, give whoever has knowledge shadows a roll to know that staying would be suicidal, and if they stay anyway, kill half of 'em.

It's pretty key to setting that, occasionally, shadowrunners need to leave the country for a couple months. If the heat gets turned up too much, there's nowhere they can hide--there are just too many eyes, spirits, cameras, and snifferbots in a city to hide if enough people are looking for you.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
You can spend up to 200 points on attributes. Generally, you want to spend 200 points on attributes. Magic and Edge do not count against this limit--raise magic to 4 or 5 independently, and edge to 3 or 4. Remember that a 3 is human average in a stat. Understand that pretty much no one isn't below average in at least one stat. Your primary stats are Strength, Body, and Agility, probably in that order. Don't max out a stat unless that one stat defines your character--your character is probably defined by his mystic powers, so don't take anything at the troll maximum, it costs too much. Don't take an Edge under 3, it's there to save you from skills you don't have and being a troll physad will take most of your points.

Choose the physad powers that look like fun. Don't take astral perception, it's borderline useless without a large point investment in the assessing skill and stats you're not likely to have. Think about how cool it would be to knock arrows out of the air with your bare hands, then don't take it because everyone uses guns. If you don't mind being radically stronger than everyone else at the table (unfairly so) take the power that makes your unarmed attacks elemental, and choose sonic. Punch holes in tanks.

Buy the unarmed skill at at least 4. Take the Athletics skill group at 4 or so, which includes Gymnastics and anything else a kung fu dude wants to do. Look at that, most of your points are gone, how did that happen. Don't take the dodge skill, Gymnastics does everything dodge does, and a bunch of other stuff to. No one knows why this is. Consider the stealth skill group, or individual stealth skills, carefully, you might not see yourself as a sneaky type but everyone needs to disappear occasionally and it'll be nice if you can. Take one rank in ground vehicles, and specialize in the type of vehicle you use. Consider a few points in Con, you'll probably need to lie eventually and it'd be nice if they didn't see through you instantly. Use specializations to lower your costs, you'll need every point you can get your grubby mitts on. Go ahead and take pistols, but specialize in the type of pistol you intend to use. Buy a pistol.

You're going to be bad at a lot of things.

You're not going to have much equipment, but you hardly need it. Consider taking restricted equipment to allow you to take military armor. Consider a sneaking suit. Consider a crowbar, a monochainsaw, rope, handcuffs, rfid tags, a tag eraser. Get a fake SIN. Get a second fake SIN. If you have some spare points, get a docwagon contract. Get a month of lifestyle, so you have somewhere to live. End character generation with at least 1200 nuyen unspent. Buy an el'cheepo commlink, leave it in hidden mode forever. You don't know what you're doing with it, but that's fine.

Buy at least one contact. Make him interesting.

Get a few interesting advantages, they're cheap for what they do. Get all 40 points of disadvantages, you're probably broke as hell. Consider debt, if your DM will let you get away with it. Don't take combat paralysis.

Use the SR4 CharGen, it's slow to load but otherwise great.

I... think that'll do ya. Am I missing anything?

E: Shouldn't have spellchecked, got nerdserved.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 29, 2011

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Swags posted:

I realize I could have said "Well before you do that the sniper blows you up lolwut" but that doesn't really solve the problem. I know combat in Shadowrun is deadly, but I didn't know it was so decidedly deadly in favor of Mages. Also, it's hard as a player, let alone as a GM, to just say "And then you get blowed up" and tell them to do a character reroll. Making a character is kind of monotonous and boring and time consuming and killing someone with your DV 22 machine gun blast is a feasible way to ruin someone's night. I'm not saying I couldn't kill him. I'm the loving DM.

Too much grognards.txt for you, my friend. You've gone all huggy on us.

You're stuck in a heroic fantasy mindset... you're trying to find a level appropriate challenge for a party. Great for D&D, bullshit double terrible for Shadowrun.

Not only is it a lethal system (with overpowered casters) but runners are almost absurdly competent at a narrow band of skills, and almost exclusively offense oriented. A good threat in a shadowrunning campaign isn't another team of shadowrunners, who have similar skills and also kill when they act, because then you get to choose between (A) killing them instantly, which is bad GMing, or (B) not killing them instantly, which means they get killed instantly themselves.

This is why I suggested maybe an awesome shadowrunner team isn't a good group of NPCs to attach names and faces to.

A good threat to a team of shadowrunners is a corporate retreat with eighty security guards , a few dozen drones, some security paracritters, and four mages who hang out on the seventh floor with binoculars, counterspelling the crap out of everything, run by Herbert Josanus Austere, middle management slash arsonist. They can't react to changing threats as quickly as a shadowrunner team can, but when one too many alarms are tripped and everyone knows the runners are there, those numbers mean they are dead, dead, dead. The focus of the game isn't the balanced combat encounters of D&D, but instead a group of extremely dangerous professionals who still skulk in the shadows, trying not to much noise and always worried about being discovered. And that's a lot of fun, if the threat is real.

I know runners are the cool people to design and play, but the PCs get to do that. Go do the non-glamorous stuff like worldbuilding, and if the runners are being too profile, go ahead and pop one in the skull with an explosive sniper round when he's standing on top of a car peeing on a knocked out cop. Don't kill him, just... drop him down to overflow boxes and remove an eye. The future is supposed to be scary.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I am really curious how you guys are having your players routinely bind spirits over Force 6. Unless a character is very specialized towards summoning spirits, initiated multiple times, or has Sacrificing, binding anything over force 6 is like playing russian roulette. A force 8 spirit gets to roll 16 dice to resist binding and does two physical for every single hit it gets. The summoner need to both somehow beat that 16 dice AND survive the damage. The average is 10.6, but sooner or later the spirit is going to roll substantially above average and have a serious shot at forcing a reroll.

First of all, never bind. Binding is for chumps with a spirit under their magic. Just use spirits like grenades, replace and reuse.

It's dead easy to make a summoning 5 magic 5 starting character with a mentor spirit and a summoning specialization, rolling 14 dice on summoning a favorite type of spirit without even looking at foci. Bam, summoning force ten spirits is now pretty easy. As for Russian Roulette--nah. Average roll on ten dice is three or four hits. Get ten dice to resist drain, add edge, and you can knock that down to a very manageable one or two drain taken. Unless the GM rolls eight hits or more on the spirit for determining drain, there's pretty much no chance you'll die. And the odds against that are pretty low... 1.6% chance of seven hits, 0.3% chance of eight.

And then the spirit murders everyone forever with its amazing stats and super special powers, all for two boxes of physical damage and a vanishingly small chance of more.

Did I mention physical drain can be healed with magic?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Yah, OK. What's the pitch? Can I play a murderer with magnets in his arms and rocket feet?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Arsenal posted:

Skimmer Discs: A modular plug-in for cyberfeet, these ground effect platforms are based on microskimmer drone technology. When in use, the discs create a directed ground-effect cushion under the character’s feet, allowing him to hover a few centimeters above the ground. Ducted fans and some practice at controlling inclination provide thrust and direction. Skimmer discs allow the character to move at twice his normal Walking and Running Rates (see Movement, p. 138, SR4) while hovering 10 to 30 centimeters above the ground. Excessive weight (at the gamemaster’s discretion) or particularly rough terrain may make it difficult to maneuver skimmer discs.

Arsenal posted:

Magnetic System: This system consists of a series of electromagnets mounted along the length of a limb. When the system is activated, the limb can hold on to or cling to ferrous-metal objects more strongly. Note that in the 2070s, many metals are nonferrous, semi-metallic polymer compounds, including those used in weapons and cyberware. Ferrous metals are still used in heavy vehicles (big cars, trucks, maglev trains), large constructions, building support structures (railway bridges, railings, beams, cables), and so on. Ferrous metal can also be added to devices such as gun grips to take advantage of a magnetic system, making dropping or disarming the gun almost impossible. The magnetic field produced by this system, when active, provides a –1 dice pool modifier to all wireless Matrix Tests made by the character.
Each magnetic system adds a +1 dice pool modifier to any test the user makes for purposes of holding or attaching himself to large metallic items or surfaces or a +2 dice pool modifier for maintaining the grip to handheld objects. Only one magnetic system can be installed in each limb.

Lookin' forward to the recruitment thread.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Gobbeldygook posted:

Might have wanted to check errata in the past couple of years.

Oh, did they fix that? Thank god. You could never clean up drain in previous editions, I don't know why they decided to change it in 4e but going back is 100% right.

Still, spending a point of edge and taking two wounds to get a force ten spirit to do the run for you? Deal. And when you've got a giant water elemental mulching security teams for you, you don't need to overcast spells. Mostly what you need is a folding chair and a lemonade.

E: Looks like you can still cure drain damage with first aid? And a rating six first aid kit is cheap. Plus, it takes a single complex action.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 29, 2011

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Aww, c'mon. You can have fun pre-crash. I bet you could run a drat fine Bug City game in 4e, fer example.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
You don't need to go crazy maniacal to keep a game running. If you don't like the whole logistics angle, just give 'em a mission where they can't case the joint ahead of time. One of the books mentioned the orihalcum rush, and had an adventure seed--a Japaneese research facility at the north pole hits orihalcum, but blizzards keep the legitimate governments from establishing a mine--and a number of corporations all send teams to secure the facilities. A struggle for control of a research facility under the howling snow! Badass. And if you want it to have plenty of shenanigans, just have the researchers be pawns of the vampires, doing research in invoking the traits of various HMHVV subspecies in trolls.

Mostly it's the players who need to make the effort to glue together all the plot items they find into a tremendous device, not the game master. Just promise the players you won't punish crazy ideas with punishingly high success thresholds and it should work out on its own.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
You can work with this.

Widespread genocidal acts against an oppressed, unpopular, victimized population? Sounds like someone has earned a commemorative plaque from Humanis Policlub! Then Orcs Rebuilding their Community identifies the team in the media as 'valued humanis policlub soldiers'. -1 loyalty to many contacts.

Then give them an adventure hook where Humanis Policlub offers to pay them richly to kill a few hundred metahumans living in squalor in the sprawl. Later, the metas give a counteroffer--they can't pay, but they do know where a Humanis Policlub arms bunker is in the woods, which is full to the brim with valuable guns, guarded by angry, mysteriously cybered rednecks.

If they choose the side of the angels, they get military hardware and fight supersoldiers in an underground tunnel complex. If they choose the side of the demons, it's a stack of cash and a big showdown in a run down project against a circle of street mages and adepts.

Tias posted:

E: Servants of what vampires? :o

Vampires are a major player in the sixth world. I believe the only shadow clinic not owned by a corporation that did cyber zombie stuff was vampire controlled, and if you wanted access to that sweet, sweet deltaware they would make you do runs for them. Runs to retrieve diseases, runs to capture HMHVV infected individuals unhurt, runs to further the vampire agenda!

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 10, 2011

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Mages can get cybereyes to cast spells through, even though they normally can't astrally perceive or cast spells through cameras, because the essence 'cost' is the influence of making the eyes part of their body. For all intents and purposes, those eyes are their natural eyes, for all purposes magical and mundane.

I would assume it works the same for ghouls, but I don't think there's been an official ruling on it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Young Freud posted:

The campaign concept was that the Humanis and the JIS are the better of lesser evils, compared to xenophobic, elf-supremacist Tir Peace Force and Ghosts ethnically-cleansing their way south.

Sounds interesting. Are you going to touch on Alamos 20,000 or The Human Nation? Because they're both crazy worse than the Policlub. Assuming Alamos 20k exists, I've never been clear on how canon they are, or how much they're just an in-setting rumor.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Arrrrgh I may explode. GM of my game is letting a player run around with a custom fully automatic grenade launcher because it would 'seem dickish' to point out that no, you can't do that. This is the same player who uses shock frills so his adept killing hands sonic elemental attack also act as electrical elemental attacks.

It wouldn't bother me so much if there was anything particularly dangerous trying to kill us, but I know whatever ill-equipped, unprepared spearholders we'll run in to will not be a match for whatever my team's made up today. Why bother coming up with cunning plans? We can just crash through the pistol equipped goons in our flying tuna boat.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
I'm not trying to beat him in a fight. I'm just venting about how often rules are being willfully ignored. Sonic element attacks ignore armor? Clearly that means you can punch out the driver of an armored limousine, the car is just glorified armor! I'm fighting the temptation to spend the rest of the campaign seeing how much of Seattle I can burn down.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Tried that. Had a good old fashioned rules row a few games back, asserting that if he wasn't using a weapon focus, he couldn't use his adept powers with a weapon. His counterargument was that he wasn't using a weapon, he just had shock frills on his hands so they just happened to hit when he was punching. I said that using two weapons at once was clearly a situation for a split dice pool, not a chance for him to add his successes from one roll to the damage from two weapons.

After listening to both sides, the GM ruled that he'd have to cross out shock frills on his sheet and write down shock gauntlets. Problem solved!

Rrrrrrrrr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Why not simply split your dice pool, like every other time you try to do two things at once?

• Locked thread