Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
You drop a slow sphere on someone. They can't run away (their movement speed is capped at 3m/round until they leave the field, giving you plenty of time to kill them) and they can't shoot you (their bullets movement speed is capped at 3m/round until they leave the field, giving you plenty of time to dodge them) and you can shoot them (any offensive mana spell isn't physical and therefore shouldn't be affected by the physical slow field) and they're hosed in general. This works on anything but like freight trains I guess since it's based purely on mass, and you can sustain it for as long as you want -- probably worth buying a focus for.

I guess it has high drain but you can get around that by having aid resisting drain, spirits to cast for you, centering, domain, whatever.

e: also you can use it to avoid death from falling, explosions, bullets, things chasing you, melee weapons, pretty much anything other than another wizard i guess wheeeeee

how big would the spell be? i don't know how AoE works, I just finished my second session of shadowrun :v:

Vayra fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
So in the 20th anniversary edition, page 177, it says "Force is measured on the same scale as metahuman attributes (natural 1-6)" but everywhere else the maximum Force of a spell is said to be double the caster's Magic, with no reference to a cap at 6. Can a mage cast a Force 7 spell? It looks like they can't, which would make mages considerably less broken, but the fact that it only mentions that once makes it a pretty debatable point. Thoughts?

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

I think dropping five BP into getting +3 dice on hacking and claiming to be a "Hacking Adept" is exactly the kind of thing this is condemning.

If you drop a few extra bp in magic (power ratings are capped at your magic rating so you need to do this to get more than 1 bonus dice anyway, and you're only spending 25% -- maybe 50% -- of your power points in improved hacking so you might as well pick up some other more standard adept powers) and roleplay being more magical than the average hacker then you're just as much an adept as the troll who rolls a million dice to punch people.

e: to clarify, the cost of +3 to hacking would be 25 BP, not 5, and you would also have 2.25 power points left, enough to get +3 to three other skills or pick up something like Improved Reflexes 1 and Attribute Boost (Agility) 3 and hold your own in a fight. At which point you are pretty definitively an adept.

If you just took the adept power for your +1 dice to hacking and +1 to three other skills or a stat or something then yeah, that probably is what it is condemning. Though I'm not so sure that's so bad for balance to be honest, since you're basically spending BP and giving up any potential 'ware for +1 dice to some stuff.

Vayra fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 14, 2011

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
So I'm about to start a 4e caribbean pirate campaign. I've been reading the old Cyberpirates sourcebook, but obviously a lot of the names for important people etc. wouldn't make sense since it's set in 2060 and we're in 2072 now -- though the corporate information, big pirate crews etc will still work. Is there any sort of resource for an updated caribbean setting or am I on my own here?

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Tias posted:

Yes. The writer who was supposed to make the 4th Ed sourcebook uploaded what he had written up until he got axed for free distribution. I'm not entirely sure where to find it, but I know it's free and still online. Try sifting through this thread and look on dumpshock.

This sounds brilliant, if anyone could find me this or tell me the name of the file or anything else related that would be amazing. I'll also be looking on my own, of course, but a quick search turned up nothing.

I have no problem with rolling dice and making poo poo up but I like to have more concrete setting and backstory than that when I can.

e: apparently it's called Shadows of Latin America?
e2: aaaand bam. Found it.

Since it's unreleased and apparently not ever getting released I think this is fine, but if it's :filez: then let me know and I'll edit the links back out.

http://www.box.net/shared/q2p019s1ib
http://www.box.net/shared/a8kv8xc5u6 <-- this is the Caribbean-related part
http://www.box.net/shared/erxp9l1fsc
http://www.box.net/shared/467shbmtzu

Vayra fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 14, 2011

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Swags posted:

1) Is it possible for a rigger to control more than one drone in combat? How would that work?

You can't rig more than one thing at a time as far as I know, but you could easily issue orders to your drones if you don't mind them using pilot + relevant software, right?

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Of course, all this falls down in the face of a force ten spirit given the order, "Kill those goddamn drones," but so many things do.

The best house rule I ever made was halving force of summoned spirits. (i.e. you can only summon spirits of a force <= your magic, and summoning spirits of force > half your magic means physical drain)

I mean a force 5 spirit will still probably gently caress up drones and/or the GM's plans but it's easier to manage when it does.

Also that scenario is brilliant and I might steal it if that's cool.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

That's why I posted it.

I would suggest after some thought to add some other adversaries, as well... goons, or gangsters, or insect spirits or something, because if the only things you can attack are the four drones that always know where you are and are hiding and running away forever, that's super frustrating for the players. Adding some assholes with barbed-wire wrapped bats won't make the situation easier, but it'll give players something to do besides be frustrated.

Having some of the orcs be barrens gangers who try to defend their home sounds pretty good.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Laphroaig posted:

vat grown clone

Are there rules for this? Idea is fantastic.

e: vvvv gently caress yes thank you

e2: do you have a page number for the Vat Grown thing? Can't find it. Unless you meant the Escaped Clone positive quality from Runner's Companion?

Vayra fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 22, 2011

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

dirtycajun posted:

Thanks for the plans on how I eventually wipe all you psychopaths out. I just need to come up with a contingency for you and the Doctor's force 10 spirits.

Seriously, houserule that maximum force of summoned spirit == Mage's Magic, and the mage takes P drain for summoning spirits with a force > 1/2 of the mage's Magic.

It makes summoned spirits overshadow the rest of the group just a little less while still being very effective. There isn't any reason to not make this a rule in every Shadowrun game you GM, unless you really want every mage to be effectively (able to summon) a tiny god I guess.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Captain Hats posted:

I need some help here...

See, we're starting up a Shadowrun game, and I've decided that being a magical kung fu troll man seems like a fun time. Unfortunately, I have no drat idea how to build a character. The book basically just goes "Here's 400 points! Do what you like with them!" "Umm, can I get some vague guideline at least?" "Hahaha, gently caress no!"

So, Adepts. As said, I want to be a kung fu troll, though I'll be picking up a couple of pistols because they're useful. How viable is this idea, how do I make it viable, and what sort of ballpark attributes, skills, stats and gear should I be aiming for as a a starting character?

Troll adepts are pretty loving viable. The only problem is that if you focus too exclusively on punching stuff and shooting things you won't be able to do much else but that goes equally for pretty much any specialized character soooo.

First you need to choose 35 points worth of negative qualities. Then you have 435 points to work with. This is both necessary and hilarious.

Adept costs 5 points, you'll want Agility and Magic as high as possible and probably Strength too, ideally all of them to 1 point below your natural maximum -- the last point in any stat costs more and it's probably not worth it.

As for skills you'll want Unarmed Combat (specialized in Punching Stuff or melee attacks, i forget what the specialization is called), Pistols (specialized in whatever kind you'll use), the Athletics skill group, and whatever else looks interesting if you still have BP left over. Maybe infiltration? Or some kind of driving skill? Con?

You also need to save some BP for money, though not a lot. Adepts are pretty gear-independant. Remember to trick out your gun with a smartlink.

As for adept powers you'll want Killing Hands, Critical Strike with a rating equal to your Magic, and whatever the Reflexes one that gives you more initiative passes is, at the highest rating you still have points for.

If you have AIM/MSN feel free to hit me up to talk about tabletop RPGs with an internet stranger. AIM is biggaygayra. MSN is professorcutshimself hotmail com. (not actually a professor, do not cut self)

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I'd also be interested in a PbP game.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Tias posted:

How'd you guys feel about commenting on a character sheet? I know number crunching bites, but this is planned for a "solo runner" kind of game, and I'd like to know if I'm leaving some blind spots open.

Post it. Maybe link to a pastebin if it's really lengthy?

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
400 BP characters represent experienced shadowrunners already IMO -- 500 BP would be the kind of prime runners a corp hires to steal from a fortified military/corp research facility, kidnap a CEO/president, or kill off another team of prime runners. They should probably be already associated with an AAA or national government -- or if they're not, there's probably at least one trying to get them permanently on staff. They should have to deal with that, high level corpsec/milsec, jealous rival runner groups, and maybe their employers giving them impossible jobs due to their likely inflated reputations.

My group is about to start a 200 BP barrens ganger game. I'm pretty excited. Gonna play a cannibalistic troll melee mage. Starting off with a staff, some foci and a big pile of drugs stashed under a bridge (to feed my serious addiction).

Vayra fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 15, 2011

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
420 store all character sheets on computer in notepad, use laptop instead of character sheets err'day

Do you really need a template? I'd actually like to know how many of you use printed-out character sheet templates, and why. I've never really felt like I needed to/it was a good idea. Even if I don't have my laptop with me I can usually jot down everything in pencil on a sheet of paper, using a lot less room than a character sheet.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

If one were to run a low level shadowrun campaign in which the players played gangers looking to defend and expand their turf, what would be a good starting point and restrictions? I was thinking around 300bp and putting a restriction on how many points they can put into equipment.

300 BP is still tons. I'm a part of a game (which is kinda dead now, admittedly) in which we started with 200 BP, 5 BP in equipment maximum and considerably lower availability limit for starting gear. We were still sort of silly badasses.

I'd recommend something like 200 BP and an additional limit of no more than X points spent on any one skill or attribute (i.e. no skills above rank 5 or 6 including specialization, no attributes above rank 3 plus racial minimum, no contacts above connection 3, etc.) -- as well as the equipment BP cap and lower availability limit.

Vayra fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 7, 2011

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
Rigger cocoon on an EVO Orderly is totally the way to go.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

MRC48B posted:

For heavily armored targets, there is always APDS.

No, there isn't. It's 16F where EX-Explosive is only 12F, so there very well might not be APDS. You can have EX-Explosive coming out of chargen, without taking Restricted Gear.

I recommend only carrying regular FMJ/ball (for drone-killing, etc.) and stick-n-shock rounds around with you unless you know you're going after something armored and/or huge, though. That way you can point to your fake corporate security response team firearms license or whatever if you have to, and you don't have to explain availability F ammo~

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Geekkake posted:

I was going to go on a giant tirade here about being an ork in terms of social drawbacks and civil rights (i.e. "good luck getting a job, there, buddy! But at least you can get shot a lot!"), but it occurs to me: is the situation as bad for metahumans in 2072 as it was in, say, 2050? Does the fluff even address this in any detail anymore?

Not in that much detail, but it still makes it pretty clear that (exceptional individuals aside) orks and trolls have it tough in the city. What I am confused about is the general social standing of dwarves.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
Speaking of rushed editing, can anyone give me a clear and concise answer on what "augmented maximum" actually is? It is referenced twice and only twice by name, on pages 288 and 309 under the rules for the Increase Attribute spell and adept power. On page 94 in the section on buying things, specifically 'ware, specifically during chargen, it says this:

page 94 posted:

Keep in mind there are three restrictions when it
comes to purchasing gear. First, when purchasing augmentations
such as cyberware and bioware, each attribute
rating (Mental and Physical) can only receive an
augmentation bonus of up to +4. If the attribute being
raised has not reached its natural maximum limit, the
attribute can be raised naturally with Karma; but at no
point can augmentations exceed the +4 bonus cap.
It's pretty clear that it still applies after chargen, but it does imply that it only applies to 'ware. But then there's no mention of an "augmented maximum" or "augmented attribute maximum" anywhere else at all in the book..? I guess it would be logical to assume that it also applies to magic (either that or use the 4e rules, but you'd think they would have, you know, written them into the book in that case) but it's still loving confusing when rules referenced by other rules are literally missing from the book and the closest related thing is hiding in the character creation chapter.

e: I'm also having trouble finding a mechanical reason to make any character not a mystic adept, unless they're a rigger and need a 3-essence chunk of wires implanted in their skull or really want to astrally project.

Vayra fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 1, 2013

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Deviant posted:

Your unaugmented maximum is on the chart on page 66, Example, humans can have 6 of almost anything but edge. 7 if they take Exceptional Attribute. And can get 4 more from augmentations. So the most strength a human is ever going to have is 6+(1)+4, for 11.

"augmentations" meaning Cyberware and Bioware obviously, and magic too, okay I can see that because the magic rules reference an "augmented maximum" term that doesn't show up anywhere else in the book but it logically follows.

What about drugs, though? Are drugs augmentations, or can that human with 11 strength do Kamikaze for 13? What about adrenaline pumps?

I mean if I ever run a game I'm comfortable enough to GM fiat these problems away and I'll be sure to point them out to anyone who plans on running a game for me so they can do the same, but it's just kind of stunning that someone proofread this (or rather, didn't) and said "welp, close enough". It's like they didn't even playtest it, or only playtested it and didn't spend any time trying to make characters using their chargen rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
(Crossposting this in both threads, because it's not really an edition-specific question:)

I'm really interested in Aztechnology/Aztlan, is there a sourcebook, site, or novel I should pick up to learn more about them? I know the basics, in that they're sort of like Monsanto if Monsanto also owned most of central america and tended to sacrifice unsatisfactory employees to blood spirits, but not much beyond that. I'd like something that goes as deep as possible into the lore behind them and current events around them -- for example, I have no idea what's going on in the Yucatan (can you still tan there?) or who provides security on Aztech corporate ground.

• Locked thread