Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

So....what's all this I hear about the RAW 4e book being almost out-of-box unplayable, though? I mean (and I own it here, just never played it and I'm not particularly familiar), it looks a lot more coherent than 3rd, but people have been telling me that certain rules are either completely wrong or just completely missing, and telling me to get the 20th Anniversary Edition. Can someone confirm/deny this?

(grognard alert: gently caress the wireless matrix in its shiny wireless rear end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The General posted:

One thing I always do is have everyone roll up two characters. Shadowrun is deadly, and the runs require diverse skill sets from one to the next. With a character pool of 10 characters you're never really limited in what you can run, and little downtime for when poo poo hits the fan. Karma gained applies to all characters even if they didn't play that run, prevents some being under equipped when it's there time to shine.

I've never run a Run (:downsrim:) but my idea is to make a big pile of pregens for my group, since we'll mostly be doing a series of semi-connected oneshots. That way, they don't have to make their own characters (since none of them have the books) and we can jump right into the action at the start of a session, despite dead characters or new players. And yeah, I know pregens suck, but these people have been my friends for decades and I know what they like (and they certainly don't like making characters, other than suggesting concepts).

Question: has anyone ever played a good vehicle rigger or had one in their game? They just seem so easy to leave out during the fun parts of a mission.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the NSRCG3 character generator (third edition) online anymore? I had it on my laptop before I reformatted it and now I can't find it anymore.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The whole "Awakened World" aspect of Shadowrun is honestly what I like the most about it.

Whenever I'm trying to sell my friends on trying Shadowrun, the discussion usually begins and ends with "a loving dragon was elected president".

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

shotgunbadger posted:

This, they actually gave a good reason for it, the wired one is ruined and pretty much hosed the world when it went down, so they rebuilt wirelessly.

They gave a good reason for it, yeah, but it kinda goes contrary to the feeling of the game for me (I know that sounds grognardy as gently caress, but Shadowrun is dark and cyberpunky and the 4th ed rulebook makes it sound a lot more like a fun Web 2.0 world from Minority Report). Also, it lets hackers act more detached from the group than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

You've convinced me to give the whole thing a much better look, but I'm going to stand by my earlier statement about flavor.

Remember how awesome Deus Ex was? All cyber-punk and hardcore and gritty and dark? And then came Deus Ex: Invisible War, where you traipsed through bright purple arcologies and hung out with a hologram of a pop star. That's the kind of feeling the new Matrix gives me.

• Locked thread