Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Though 4th ed has its flaws, I think the way the setting has progressed more than makes up for it. An unwired Matrix makes sense considering the advances of today's society and it opens up an avenue of play usually unavailable to players. Some of the new source books have been good too but standard.

The 20th anniversary edition is pretty nice too. It looks really good and is easier to navigate. You still need to have a level of knowledge higher than normal to run the game and house rules might be necessary.

One of my favorite parts of Shadowrun is the rich background the game has and it is usually well written. There are big players moving around on occasion too like the Harlequin and Dunklezahn, when he was moving around, but they were not the one's accomplishing stuff, kinda. The Earthdawn stuff was pretty cool to follow as well. There are always great antagonists too like Aztlan, Imperial Japan, and unspeakable horrors like the Insect Spirits.

I kind of always wanted to run a game set in Chicago during the big Insect Spirit invasion. I thought that the Chicago book was really cool and the whole post apocalyptic feel to it was pretty awesome. I never got to run one though because the only game I ran was all new people to the game and I didn't feel like thrusting them into the most dangerous location Shadowrun has had so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

I've never liked bugs as an enemy, they tend to make whatever run your running turn into whichever Alien film the players can best fit it to.

If they're done right, they can be used as "OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo" type antagonists. For instance the Runners are tasked with assassinating a powerful local don, only for him to turn into a giant insect when poo poo goes down. The characters could then become involved in stopping an insect spirit incursion with far reaching consequences.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ethnic Hairstyles posted:

I learned everything I know from Chrono Trigger. :c00l:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

For those who are interested in Shadowrun, try checking out Corporation.

It's like Shadowrun without the fantasy stuff, and set a bunch further in the future. The system looks like a halfway-house between D&D and Shadowrun 4e - you add your skill and stat (which are usually between 1-10) together, then try and roll under them on 2d10.

I liked it better when it was called Cyberpunk. :c00lbert:

Seriously though, it sounds more like an amalgamation of Cyberpunk and Traveller than Shadowrun. That honestly doesn't do anything for me because of that.

The whole "Awakened World" aspect of Shadowrun is honestly what I like the most about it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

But that game loving sucks.

That was kind of the point of my post if you read the lines after that. Thanks for playing chummer.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How are they more detached? I find that they are less detached because they can actively participate in missions now.

Gone are the days of VR missions that are only supposed to last a few seconds but can last hours. Deckers, now Hackers, are actually there instead of in some apartment room on the other side of town jacked into the local Matrix node. It adds a whole new level of play that wasn't available before because most people I've known that have run Shadowrun won't allow a Decker into their games. The logistics have always slowed down the game to a point where most players lose interest while the Decker has their power hour.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ghouls die when they burn out, most magical creatures do. For instance in Chicago, during the whole bug fiasco there was a community of militant ghouls. The plan that cleaned up Chicago was to unleash a biological/chemical weapon that created "magic dead zones". It would kill anything with a dual nature, such as flesh bound invae whom are obviously dual natured, so the plan worked. There of course weren't a lot of ghouls left in Chicago after that.

I'm not a big fan of people playing things like vampires and ghouls. It can get out of hand too quickly and vampires are just stupid to begin with. I also don't like people playing the metahuman variants because you can honestly run the same concept with the normal garden variety one. I mostly see those as people just wanting a stat boost instead of the "roleplay" possibilities they go on about. I do not include ghouls in that train of thought because I still think a ghoul PC is a death sentence in a game run by a GM with a good handle of the game.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MohawkSatan posted:

In the same game that Servicio en Espanol mentioned, I'm a menehune, a metavariant dwarf. All I got out of it: Hairy as gently caress, and can see normally underwater. The metavariants aren't great for min/maxing BECAUSE of them being so uncommon. You're instantly recognizable, which screws over any normal runner.

It seems that in every edition but 4th, they got different stat increases than their baseline ones.

I think it's cool they changed that because it offers a little more variety. I hadn't really looked at that section, or a lot of that book for that matter, because it seemed to be a repeat of the 3rd edition one with new stats.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MohawkSatan posted:

word

Yes, in 4th Edition metavariants are the same but in 3rd for instance they are not. Hence my comment that in every edition but 4th they are different. I'm cool with them in 4th now.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It makes the run high profile too if one of the runners decides to frag the target with something that a civilian shouldn't have in that country. Authorities take notice when people are using illegal weapons or cyberware, makes it easier to track the user as well.

Getting a gun for instance on the black market is one thing but when you get especially illegal and rare stuff that only special military units and corp special teams have access to, it's easier to track down the source and the buyers because of how rare it is. Just because life is rough in the Awakened World doesn't mean everyone is packing heat, it's still a big deal when a fire fight happens in a normal part of town or even a gun being drawn for that matter.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FutureBoy posted:

Hey, I'm running a game right now and it occurred to me that no information had ever been revealed about Dubai in the post awakened world. Does anyone know if any sourcebooks cover this?

Shadows Over Asia has write ups on most the Middle Eastern countries. If I remember correctly, Dubai is covered in at least some fashion since it's a pretty recent book.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It would be nice if they did more with China, like reunify it Romance of the Three Kingdoms style.

The main problem though is that American gaming companies are invariably focused on Japan due to the close relationship between Japan and the US. The bias is very prevalent in almost every instance a game has a contingent that focuses on Asia. Even in some cases when they say it's based off ancient China, it ends up being more like Japan because average Americans know so little about historical China. Now that people aren't ranting about how the Japanese are going to eat us alive, it's time to give China some loving.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Pile of Clowns posted:

My friend's nuts about sci-fi rpgs and I found the fancy *~Special Edition~* of the 4th Core Rulebook to get him. Costs 100 clams. Anyone seen it? Think it's good? Think it's horrible?

It's the best version of 4th so far and has such innovations as an index.

• Locked thread