Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

K-10 has got to be the best poison in the game, one dose and stand well back then boom! 18 unavoidable stun damage and potentially a lot of enemies dead for you.

Have you seen the player-character adept build (I think posted in this thread) that attempts to use it? One of the best things I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Doodmons posted:

On a related note, what sort of fun/powerful hijinks can a Magician get up to in Shadowrun?

:can:

I had a mage once who learned all the Mass Control X spells. From then on, literally any squad which wasn't guarded by a mage, and any time the mage failed his Counterspelling check, the entire squad of enemies would find that their bodies were moving against their will, firing weapons into the heads of anyone who happened to be remotely close by.

Those mind control spells are resisted by Willpower + Counterspelling, IIRC, and anyone mundane just will NOT win the check.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I've heard the LA section on shadowrunning in 4E get a lot of compliments but I've not yet heard/seen anyone actually run a game set there, it seems like it would be a pretty fun sort of deal, especially for people who got upset about 4E angling things more towards the "slick professional" side of things rather than "tearing down main street in a Bulldog Step-Van which is on fire while the troll takes potshots at Lone Star with an assault cannon."

Where are people getting this sort of thing from? I swear I have most of the books and I can't find a thing about this.

It's especially useful for me because my players just fled the city of Seattle because they were tearing down Pike Street in a Bulldog StepVan which was under fire while the ork lobbed plastic explosive at Knight Errant, and that wasn't really conducive to staying alive. So if I could find information about LA or San Francisco (where they ran to) and not have to craft the thing from whole cloth before next Monday, that'd really help.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

Running the matrix if you are disinterested in running the matrix:
<snip>
There, hacking a door takes anywhere from four to fifteen actions. Same for turning off a camera, same for disabling a drone temporarilly. If the hacker does small things he's fine. If he steals cars or entire databases a security hacker notices and shows up, guess you have to learn the matrix combat rules which are honestly pretty simple.

One thing that keeps it from being hilariously easy to do everything forever is noting that when the skill says to roll "Hacking + Exploit", it does NOT mean "Logic + Hacking + Exploit". My players are pretty upset about that at present, having missed the single paragraph in the rulebook that says it.

Also, the Matrix combat rules are pretty much exactly the same as swordfighting rules with different attributes. I blame Hiro Protagonist for this.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Martello posted:

I'm just looking to run a plain cyberpunk game, not sure what's to be mad about that. Some people don't always like mixing fantasy with their cyberpunk.

I get this, really. I spent a long time a couple years ago looking for a system to run a game like this because the magic in my cyberpunk bothered me a lot (I got over it; I've had a great time running SR once I decided to stop taking the computers so seriously).

Shadowrun, I can say from experience, is not that system. If you like rules, try something more like GURPS. If you hate rules, try something more like FATE. SR is not the system you are looking for. The system is deeply coupled to the world.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Martello posted:

See, I haven't had that be my experience at all. After a few runs of magic being really stupid, we stripped it out of the campaign I was running and everything worked perfectly. Matrix stuff I don't know because nobody ran a hacker so we didn't really come across it besides my hacker NPCs rolling against other enemy hacker NPCs.

Don't get me wrong - I love Shadowrun the way it is, it's just that sometimes I want to play regular no-magic cyberpunk with a little more realism. I like the rules and I know them, so I'd rather not learn a whole new system either.

Well, that's interesting. I'd love to see how you do it so I can try it myself, later. I'd be down if you start a PbP or an IRC game.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

drunkencarp posted:

is there a way to get an extra half-dozen dice on these that I'm not aware of?

There's a bunch of stuff that adds to your matrix rolls. Hot Sim, for instance, adds two to every roll in the matrix. Don't look for bonuses to Data Search, look for bonuses to matrix rolls.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

MohawkSatan posted:

Am I the only one who loves shadowrun character generation?

You're never the only one.

I like the system so much that any time I run a one-shot, I ask people what they like about games and about cyberpunk, and then give them completely new characters to match. But like Piell, I really like playing with fiddly bits and complicated systems. I play Dwarf Fortress, and EVE Online, and I totally get why normal people don't want to poke at characters for hours on end.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Super Rad posted:

what is your Attack program even really doing to a node? Pelting it with electrons?

This is almost-covered in the fluff, actually. All the programs are abstractions for more complicated stuff that's happening behind the scenes; just like you don't have to know magic to be a mage, you don't have to know computers to be a hacker. I run games for CS students; let me tell you, it doesn't help either.

So, Attack is, I don't know, maybe executing DOS attacks on the target's system? It'd explain why the icon gets slower to respond as it takes more "matrix damage"? Black Hammer is feeding wonky biofeedback into their commlink, which is hooked directly to their brain, and making their brain explode.

Yeah, it's pretty stupid, but it makes for a decent game when you have people who get that it's supposed to be a game.

I've played with hackers who wanted to work a level of abstraction down ("Okay, now I want to get the MAC address from the guy's commlink so I can spoof it later."), and the game rules just don't make much sense there ("You mean I have to make a check to type 'ifconfig -a' and 'ip link set dev eth0 address <address>'?"). I've also played with Hack The Planet hackers ("Okay, now I hit him with my Attack Program, which by the way looks like a katana because I read Snow Crash last week"); the rules are perfect for them.

e:

Minorities posted:

What I'm asking you guys is for advice on how many BP I should give these players for new characters. Right now I'm thinking 300 but you guys are way more experienced with the newer versions of the game than I am.

I want the new players to feel powerful and flexible, but I also don't want to give them too many options. I want the party to feel like they can take on most runs, but if they're going to poo poo all over my best laid plans, then I want it to be because the players outsmart me, not because their characters are godlike.

I think you have the right idea going for less than the "standard" 400 if that's what you want. I run my games at 400 BP, and the characters get frankly absurd right out of the gate. They're capable of being, easily, the best at whatever they plan to specialize in without even trying. 300 sounds okay to me, but it will be tough for them to escape during the inevitable Holy poo poo Something Went Wrong stage of the run; they're only going to be about as good as a decent security guard, so keep that in mind.

quote:

Can you guys remind me of any other crazy stuff I should restrict? I don't want to go crazy on restrictions because I really don't expect this party to min-max a lot. I do however want to make sure that the game doesn't evolve into an auto-win flowchart every session.

You can keep the game from being an auto-win flowchart by, just once, letting the party succeed easily. See what they do, and make sure that your NPCs also (somehow) find out what they do. Then, the next time they need to make a run, someone's ready for some/all the tricks that worked last time. The adept has shock gloves? We have nonconductive armor. The hacker likes to sit in the truck outside? We're wired-only, or we have wifi-absorbent paint on the walls, or something like that.

You can also keep it from being an auto-win by making it less than clear what winning is. Read On The Run, the module, for a decent example of how you can make this work.

SolTerrasa fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 8, 2013

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Hell, put that stuff up in SAMart (or eBay, if you prefer) and I'd think about it. Please don't pitch them!

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Interest check: My group's next session is going to be a Halloween-themed one-shot. My idea was to throw them into the Shadowrun version of a Scooby-Doo episode. The team will be hired to investigate a creepy old haunted mansion. Along the way they will encounter, hopefully not kill, and eventually team up with the Scooby-Doo gang who just happen to be another team of runners working for a different, non-conflicting employer.

I have most of my ideas for this one-shot written out in a Google Drive doc. It's 4 pages long. Does anyone care enough to read the whole thing and give me some feedback or is that the stupidest thing you've ever heard?

edit: Hopefully it is understood that this run will be for drunken good times and not serious-business at all. I don't normally do stuff that's this silly.

That sounds loving awesome. :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Tias posted:

I just tried dicking around with creating a character at 320 BP and capping availability at 10 - I still got a broken samurai monster with staggering dice pools. What am I doing wrong, here?

Hard to know unless you post it!

• Locked thread