Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thailander
Oct 1, 2013
I've run a previous game of shadowrun and am currently running one but does anyone else find the combat incredibly slow and clunky?

That so much can happen in 3 seconds (1 combat turn) is fair enough but the amount of real time it takes is ridiculous. Perhaps it's merely because the players are unfamiliar with the system (and I am not exactly perfect with my memory of the rules) but with the concept of initiative passes it means that the idea of compound encounters can be incredibly difficult because if for instance people are alerted to gunfire and quickly zip over there to help out but it'll take them 10 or so seconds to do that combat's usually already over.

Does anyone have any advice for making the combat flow better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thailander
Oct 1, 2013

quote:

Offload as much work onto your PCs as possible.
Yeah, that's a good idea that I've heard once or twice but am forever forgetting to do it. I'm still relatively new to GMing so it can feel a bit overwhelming at times but that would definitely help.

quote:

Players seem to have more fun blasting away mooks en masse than getting frustrated trying to land a hit on a high defence enemy that then only takes a couple P damage.
Excellent point and I am working to try and find the balance for difficulty. It's fairly generic and not unique to shadowrun but I want to mount sufficient resistance to the PCs so that they earn their Karma while not going overboard. The idea for heavier backup is a nice one though, thanks.

quote:

Remind everyone to have their actions ready on their turn, and when you say, "Joe, it's your turn," also say, "Mitch, you're next up." Then Mitch remembers he's about to go and chooses an action real quick
Definitely something to remember, thank you to all who replied :)

• Locked thread