Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Confirm. Shadowrun 4e as released is certainly playable, but it has a lot of issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

I don't really mind the concept of the wireless matrix, aside from the rules. A lot of cyberpunk stuff is so dated since technology has continued to evolve, and I feel like there are dozens of places to get that retro-cyberpunk feel that's stuck staunchly in the mid-80's. It's sort of nice to have settings that make at least a nod to evolution instead of staying the same because of tradition.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

The General posted:

It adds more rules? loving christ! I just bought all the core books too.

Yeeeeep. The anniversary edition was reacted to by a bunch of players as a stealth 4.5 update, but it's not quite so dramatic.

There's a document with all the changes here: http://www.shadowrun4.com/wordpress/2009/04/shadowrun-4-anniversary-core-rulebook-changes-document/

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

shotgunbadger posted:

The 20th year copy makes it playable and good.

I agree 100000%. It's almost worth getting just for the index and tables in the back.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Ryoshi posted:

You've convinced me to give the whole thing a much better look, but I'm going to stand by my earlier statement about flavor.

Remember how awesome Deus Ex was? All cyber-punk and hardcore and gritty and dark? And then came Deus Ex: Invisible War, where you traipsed through bright purple arcologies and hung out with a hologram of a pop star. That's the kind of feeling the new Matrix gives me.

It's nearly exactly the same matrix, though. The only real differences are the lack of being tied to a jack and the fact that there are "emergent AI's" running around, which pretty much boils down to 'hey, that hacker NPC contact you were going to use? Here's a backstory for one!'

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

There's a fine line between removing resources to challenge your group and being a total dick, and the GM might have crossed it, but it doesn't sound like it's entirely his fault. The other players DID decide to burn it instead of try to figure out some way to get it out.

I'd talk to him about it before you just up and quit, though. Maybe he thinks he's making things challenging as opposed to incredibly annoying.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Blowupologist posted:

So what 4e books should I absolutely get? All I have is the original 4e book, so I'm thinking of picking up the 20th anniversary edition. Any other essentials?

The core supplements are a good place to start, just pick up the ones most relevant to your group if you're DMing, or to what you want to play if you aren't. C/P'd this straight from the 20th anniversary book (which you should definitely get)

Street Magic: the advanced magic rulebook adds more bang to your spellslingers and adepts alike. Street Magic contains new magical traditions, more spirits, more spells, detailed enchanting rules, advanced initiation options, new metamagics, and even a look at magical threats in the sixth world.

Augmentation: the advanced medtech rulebook is much more than a budding street samurai’s upgrade catalog; it introduces more cyberware and bioware augmentations than you can wiggle a prehensile tail at, as well as a selection of genetech and nanotech enhancements useful to all character types. If that isn’t enough, Augmentation introduces biodrones, cyborgs, and cyberzombies.

Arsenal: the advanced gear book is chock full of useful gear the enterprising shadowrunner can’t live without. Arsenal’s pages are crammed with guns, armor, spy toys, manatech, survival gear, vehicles, and drones that will have everybody on the team saving up to buy the good stuff. all that plus advanced martial arts, and vehicle and weapon customization rules.

Unwired: the advanced matrix resource is a guide to the wireless matrix for both beginners and experts. hackers and technomancers are treated to all the new tricks, new toys, new echoes, advanced submersion, and new sprites you might expect. Unwired opens the world of ubiquitous computing to all character types and showcases how any shadowrunner can use the matrix to keep her edge.

Runner’s Companion: this character-oriented rulebook features advanced options to provide additional depth to character creation and play. Runner’s Companion not only introduces optional metavariants, sentient races, and unique character types, but also dozens of new qualities, advanced contact and lifestyle rules, and rounds everything out with some basic survival tips for budding runners.

I can't really speak to the quality of these books, as it's been forever since I've looked at them and I haven't really evaluated them in a mechanical sense.

Beyond these, if you're interested in running a game set in Seattle, the new "Seattle 2072" book is really good.

Edit: The master index in the back of the 20th anniversary book also indexes those five core supplements, which is really cool.

FirstCongoWar fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 31, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Came out a week or two ago.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=64134

• Locked thread