Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Shadowrun doesn't require a grid for combat. The most of a map you'll need is something that has the highlights of whatever secure facility your players are breaking into that night. Don't get too bogged down in details when preparing a run, and be ready to make up stuff on the fly.

Shadowrun isn't nearly as combat-driven as D&D is; SR combat takes a long time and a lot of dice rolls to run, and characters can die very easily if they're not wearing the equivalent of tank armor. The game encourages players to stay out of combat, using their skills, technological and magical toys, and their contacts to solve problems and move the story forward. If your characters need to shoot somebody, they should shoot to kill or at least to end the confrontation immediately, and not get into a protracted firefight.

Shadowrun characters are based mainly on the skills they know; there is no level equivalent like in D&D that keeps characters on roughly equal footing. Characters that try to cover too many bases will be weak in all of them. Each character should focus on a gimmick or a shtick, something they do really well to contribute to the team's success. It's okay if a character is underpowered in combat, especially if full balls-out combat never has a chance to get started.

Your characters will have contacts, and contacts are really important in this game. It's not what you know, it's who you know, and it should always be possible to cover a missing skill or needed talent by calling in contacts and friends-of-friends. As the GM, you should be ready to roleplay an NPC out of your rear end for the players' contacts, not to mention the random bystanders or passers-by that could get in the players' way.

As for online communities, Dumpshock is the premiere forum in my experience, although it's been a while since I've been active there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
This has always been my favorite example of how a Shadowrun game should play out. It's several years and two game editions old, but still relevant.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

FutureBoy posted:

One of my favorite moments GMing Shadowrun is setting up a run, having a good idea how it's going to go, then watch as the team plans something completely off the wall.
"The run is to kidnap this old man." "Well we're going to need a blimp."
Then racing to re-write the adventure so it's still a challenge for everyone. God I love Shadowrun.

"The run is to sneak across the border." "Poisoned fried chicken."

Or my favorite, the corporate building I had taken some pains to lay out the defenses for. The run was to grab data from a researcher. So the team jumps the guy in the parking garage on his way home.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fenarisk posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm just preparing myself for the player that wants to know all his options for going into AR mode for hacking and the like, and the examples he has given of ideas or what's "cool" has been kind of like the small shaded single lens that wraps around to one eye from the ear or something.

AR monocles are listed as a flavor option in the book. :monocle:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
The cost of a smartgun system is a drop in the bucket for your average corporate security division, rolled in with training and equipment costs required of any new hire.

It's probably part of a package of headware that gets installed in one go, along with the implanted commlink, datajack, company standard cybereyes and -ears, and the obligatory cortex bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

404GoonNotFound posted:

Shotguns in SR4 are just sad, really. Double recoil, flak ammo is useless against anyone with even the smallest amount of armor, etc. Why can't they be awesome like in Eclipse Phase :unsmith:

I was thinking about Shadowrun shotgun rules when someone posted GURPS shotguns in the Worst Rules thread. I ought to dig the 3rd ed. book out and post the silly flechette rules from in there.

• Locked thread