Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

My company is going to be hiring a WP dev in the near future. We'll be looking for someone who is up to date with modern best practices, has familiarity working with a fairly standard toolset (ACF, Gutenberg, Sage 10), and strong skills with S/CSS, JS, and PHP. Experience with modern JS libraries (eg. React, Svelt, etc.) is a plus, and attention to detail an absolute requisite.

The company itself is stellar to work for – competitive pay, outstanding benefits, great client list, wonderful coworkers, etc.

If this sounds like a good fit for you, shoot me a PM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hey there.... I'm running out of ideas so I'm hoping it's OK to resurrect this thread for tech support needs. I am in charge of a debian server that serves a wordpress website. I think for as long as WP has been on this server (which is a few months), it has not been able to auto update or update plugins via wp-admin. When I try to update any of the things, it asks me for FTP information.

I got FTP set up, and I'm pretty sure set the user permissions to read/write the wordpress directory, but I'm still getting errors saying "cannot find wp-content" and depending on what I change it says can't connect at all, even though I can connect with an FTP client just fine.

All the stack overflows I've found about this say it has to do with permission issues to the WordPress folder but I just can't seem to get it right.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

Update: turns out I'm a dinosaur, added
php:
<?
define('FS_METHOD','direct');?>
to wp-config and now everything is correctly updating

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 7, 2023

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

A buddy of mine runs a small business and wants some work done on his Wordpress site. He estimates between 5 and 15 hours. Budget is on the lower side. If anyone is interested DM me, or if you need more info let me know.

Edit: All sorted!

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 28, 2023

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Resurrecting this old thread for a quick question with hopefully a quick answer.

I am trying to set up a WordPress container for local development. I'm using the bitnami/wordpress image and in my Dockerfile I'm copying my theme files into the image at /wordpress_themes/my_theme and I have an init script that will symlink the contents of that directory to the /bitnami/wordpress/wp-content/themes/my_theme directory, and then set the WordPress theme to that them using wp-cli.

This all works great. I can build an image that holds everything and works well, and I can also run the container with my theme directory mounted as a volume at /wordpress_themes/my_theme and my local changes will show up in the container. BUT there's always a delay, about 5 minutes. I assume something in WordPress is doing some caching of the template files, but I can't work out what it is doing and how to disable this behaviour. The changes show up just fine, it all works really nicely, but it just takes too long for the changes to show.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Unless you have a WP caching plugin enabled, I'd imagine the caching is taking place within your plugin. WordPress has extremely limited native caching abilities, and what you've described doesn't sound like something it would do on its own.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
If you've also containerised it, then maybe you are using a reverse proxy to serve the front end? In which case, the proxy may be caching too.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Thanks guys, I really wasn't expecting any replies so soon!

kedo posted:

Unless you have a WP caching plugin enabled, I'd imagine the caching is taking place within your plugin. WordPress has extremely limited native caching abilities, and what you've described doesn't sound like something it would do on its own.

The only custom stuff I have on there so far is the "BlankSlate" theme which I'm using as a parent theme to my own child theme. The child theme has nothing in it around caching and I can't see anything in the parent theme to imply it's caching things either.

Your line of enquiry does make me wonder though whether this might be something built into the bitnami image somehow. I'm also encountering other issues, the container doesn't appear to having any internet connection from inside it either :( Maybe I should have just built my own WordPress image...

DaWolfey posted:

If you've also containerised it, then maybe you are using a reverse proxy to serve the front end? In which case, the proxy may be caching too.

Nah nothing like that as yet, I'll do this eventually but haven't done anything like that yet it's just its own container with a mariadb container alongside it in a docker-compose.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Got it sorted - it was an env variable for the container called "PHP_ENABLE_OPCACHE". I needed to set that to "no", now it all updates immediately in dev while I can still deploy it with that flag enabled.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Does a default wordpress config generate any logfiles? I've tried googling it, but am only finding references to plugins. I am hoping to do some forensics on some apparently stolen credentials.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Basically no. You'll have PHP error logs and access logs on your server, but those probably won't contain the type of data you're looking for.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I've got an odd issue, and hopefully y'all can point me in the right direction. When I upgrade a plug-in, as soon as the upgrade is complete the plugin disappears. Poof, gone. What could be causing this, and where should I start looking to fix it?

Core is 6.4.3 if it matters. Thanks!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What’s the plugin, and what version are you starting with?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

kedo posted:

What’s the plugin, and what version are you starting with?

I happens to any plugin I update, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

take_it_slow posted:

Does a default wordpress config generate any logfiles? I've tried googling it, but am only finding references to plugins. I am hoping to do some forensics on some apparently stolen credentials.

Default logging sucks in WP, at a bare minimum install a logging plugin like "activity log". Some firewall plugins also have logging of some functions.