Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

Guy LeDouche posted:

This quote is too funny to not put up on my site. I hope you don't mind :)

Hehe, go right ahead. I actually really like your site. Its like this snapshot of the current state of the video game industry. And I think we have a pretty similar seance of aesthetics. I'm all for clean layouts and content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bubblegum Wishes posted:

Ok, I have a few sort of general questions. Yall have convinced me to use wordpress for the one client I keep talking about.

1) Is there anything I can't do in a wordpress template that I can do with pure html/css? I mean form a site layout perspective.

2) I have several things the client needs to be able to update and several that they do not. Stuff they need to update include their bio's (there's like 4 total), a blog, and an "about us" page. Theres some other pages with directions and stuff that never need to change. In order to build this thing am I better off making each of the bios and stuff a page? I'm reading over all of the wordpress template documentation now so I'm not sure if I'm approaching it correctly yet.

1) Not that I can think of. A template is of course just HTML/CSS sprinkled (or drowned) with Wordpress code to let you insert dynamic content.

2) Yes, the bios would be pages, and the blog would contain posts.

VeryVito
Sep 1, 2004

"However," said the Universe....

First Time Caller posted:

How has Wordpress changed over the last few years ( I haven't used it in awhile ) that would make me want to use it as a CMS over say, ExpressionEngine or RadiantCMS?

Here's a good response to this question -- a white paper written by a major PBS affiliate on how they launch 5-10 high-quality sites each month using a single WP interface as the CMS.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
Is it possible to upload a bunch of images via FTP instead of using the individual upload media interface within the post page? I tried with no luck (Wordpress not detecting images in the "gallery").

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

Ok, I'm officially impressed.

One of my mock-ups was making me wonder if I would be able to even put it into html since it was just me photoshopping pretty stuff together. I decided to try, since its my favorite one, and I decided to do a test run with wordpress.

The html/css took a day and a half, deploying it in wordpress on a server08 box and getting it all going 100% took like two hours. And one hour of that was spent looking at nav plugins.

:)

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Bubblegum Wishes posted:

Ok, I'm officially impressed.

One of my mock-ups was making me wonder if I would be able to even put it into html since it was just me photoshopping pretty stuff together. I decided to try, since its my favorite one, and I decided to do a test run with wordpress.

The html/css took a day and a half, deploying it in wordpress on a server08 box and getting it all going 100% took like two hours. And one hour of that was spent looking at nav plugins.

:)

cool. screencaps?

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

Guy LeDouche posted:

cool. screencaps?

I'll post something after its final. The client is a law firm that does business law and they get paranoid about stuff like this.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

VeryVito posted:

Here's a good response to this question -- a white paper written by a major PBS affiliate on how they launch 5-10 high-quality sites each month using a single WP interface as the CMS.

This blew my mind. The company I work for is investigating how to do this with Drupal. I am wondering if WordPress would be a better solution, especially with WordPress MU.

Kitsch Ersatz posted:

Is it possible to upload a bunch of images via FTP instead of using the individual upload media interface within the post page? I tried with no luck (Wordpress not detecting images in the "gallery").

Would the Add From Server plugin help you? It claims to "allow you to browse the filesystem on the webserver and copy any files into the WordPress uploads system".

jink fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 18, 2009

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

Theres some default in wordpress telling it to use the template I have set for the landing page on the blog page. How do I unset that? I want it to use the default page template for the blog. Its set to default now and its picking up the other one. Do I have to create a separate template and explicitly tell it to use that?

edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot. I had it named home.php

Bubblegum Wishes fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 18, 2009

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

jink posted:

This blew my mind. The company I work for is investigating how to do this with Drupal. I am wondering if WordPress would be a better solution, especially with WordPress MU.

Drupal just isn't as friendly as Wordpress. Most organizations need sites that encourage them to publish things and Wordpress is friendliest to those who like to write.

Wordpress MU is a useful solution if you want to set up a bunch of sites that various editors have access to. I prefer regular Wordpress because I feel like it gives me slightly more control over the end product. If you want to do a lot of different sites within one system you can't go wrong with MU though.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Is there a wordpress theme that would be good for a resume/CV? I don't give a drat about blogging at all.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Follow this model and I'll put together some tutorials for organizing information and using template pages to pull information from their children.

If you aren't concerned about blogging then I'd make various work experiences into posts so you can tag them with skills you used.

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

I have another question. This one is unrelated to the project I've been working on. Is there a way for phpbb and wordpress to use the same users?

I have a client with a site that runs phpbb. The forums are the only part that work, the rest of it is garbage and needs to be rewritten. From everything I've seen wordpress would be great for the rest of it.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Bubblegum Wishes posted:

I have another question. This one is unrelated to the project I've been working on. Is there a way for phpbb and wordpress to use the same users?

I have a client with a site that runs phpbb. The forums are the only part that work, the rest of it is garbage and needs to be rewritten. From everything I've seen wordpress would be great for the rest of it.

This is certainly possible. I think this is what you want. Mind you this should make it so the comments come from phpbb threads and all the users are in there.

Your Wordpress publishing will probably remain a Wordpress specific account.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Ned posted:

Follow this model and I'll put together some tutorials for organizing information and using template pages to pull information from their children.

If you aren't concerned about blogging then I'd make various work experiences into posts so you can tag them with skills you used.

On first glance, I think this is what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I've been messing around with Wordpress with the aim to set myself up a simple blog. I've been meaning to 'get into' blogging for a while, so figured I'd start up a blog about iPhone apps just to get into the hand of writing regularly. I also decided I'd like to get my hands dirty with the theme rather than just grab an 'off the shelf' one.

The layout I have in mind is really simple.....just a three column design, with menus on the left and right, and content down the middle. I wanted my theme to be fluid width, so I thought I'd have the left and right menus fixed and the centre column would scale relative to the size of the browser window. Unfortunately, my lovely CSS knowledge has been my downfall and I've hit upon a problem that I can't fix. The columns end up all over the place. See for yourselves....

http://www.reallygreatapps.com/

I don't claim to be a graphic designer or whatnot, so don't be surprised that it's pretty bland. As I said, I'm doing this more as a learning exercise than anything else!

Here's the CSS for the elements....

code:
#wrapper { width: 90%; min-width: 990px; margin:15px auto 15px auto; background: #ffffff; }

#frame { float:left; width: 100%; margin:auto; }

#left { float: left; width: 123px; }

#middle { margin: 0 200px 0 160px }

#right { float:left; width: 180px; }
Could anyone perhaps suggest what I'm doing wrong here? I'm sure it's something simple, but any help would be much appreciated!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Google Float Tutorial. Also use a reset.css. These questions are better for the Web Design and Development thread.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Ned posted:

Google Float Tutorial. Also use a reset.css. These questions are better for the Web Design and Development thread.

Cool...i'll keep my CSS questions in that thread then! Thanks anyway.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I've been trying to set up a simple wordpress site which serves up a random post upon loading the index, and have found a plugin that does what I'd like, however wordpress continues to display my most recent post AND the random post. Is there a way I can just edit the config files to set wordpress to display 0 recent posts?

Link for example.

Would appreciate any help, rear end CSS and such I'm fine with, but wordpress' little syntax and PHP not so much.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
You probably want to set up a template that has the appropriate code in it and then set that as a page called home and assign it to be the page that exists as the home.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I've tried to add a ton of content. Thoughts?

https://www.thefragfile.com

Sorry, I'm kind of insecure about the whole thing. Your honest assessment is greatly appreciated.

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net
Anyone ever attempt to make a corporate/company website with wordpress? Main page, pages with products, blog, contacts. I understand it's possible, but is it elegant? The business I work for wants to redesign their main webpage and it's loaded with flash videos (demos) and lots of images.

If anyone has examples, please share and mention what is wordpress and what isn't. I know they are out there.

MaiaN
Aug 18, 2004

cLin posted:

Anyone ever attempt to make a corporate/company website with wordpress? Main page, pages with products, blog, contacts. I understand it's possible, but is it elegant? The business I work for wants to redesign their main webpage and it's loaded with flash videos (demos) and lots of images.

If anyone has examples, please share and mention what is wordpress and what isn't. I know they are out there.

I'm not terribly good or experienced with web design -I can write XHTML and cross-browser-inconsistent CSS- but I recently redesigned https://www.lcciebspain.com to https://www.lcci.es/wp and am quite happy with the result. It's still missing a few things, like a contact form and maybe a better landing page, and stock photos somewhere.

I've done everything with wordpress and a couple of plugins: qTranslate for the multilingual pages and some events plugin for the noticeboard. The theme took me about 4-5 days between drawing it up to having it show up in WordPress, and is the first WordPress theme I've done.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

cLin posted:

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 15, 2014

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I also created http://siegelgale.com/ with Wordpress.

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net

Ned posted:

That's what i was looking for. EVERYTHING is done with wordpress? So for work, services, ideas, and the links at top...are they all pages? how about for links like http://www.siegelgale.com/work/mcafee ? Are they sub pages?

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

Ned posted:

I just noticed that pages under services are sending a bunch of requests (for images) resulting in a 404s that is slowing down the load a lot (4s+).

supster fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 29, 2009

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

supster posted:

I just noticed that pages under services are sending a bunch of requests (for images) resulting in a 404s that is slowing down the load a lot (4s+).

I just set up the model. The place I was working for while I was building that was run by a cokehead rear end in a top hat who went insane and fired me for the stupidest reason.

So they yanked the services pages from the old site and improperly put them into the system. You can see the old version here.

You can see how I built things at http://sg2.1080d.com/ - http://sg.1080d.com/ was their old site.

The Work section is kind of funny. It is flash that reads from an xml file. I parsed that file with php and then had it make pages for each client and then add in meta field info with the images. I have that set up on http://sg2.1080d.com/work/ but they ended up going back to the flash one because I didn't tack on the fancy navigation before being fired. I just have an inner slide going there.

Anyhoo - everything is essentially Wordpress.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Guy LeDouche posted:

I've tried to add a ton of content. Thoughts?

https://www.thefragfile.com

Sorry, I'm kind of insecure about the whole thing. Your honest assessment is greatly appreciated.

I like your site, but you should start using tags to categorize your posts more (E.g. I would like to see all posts about modern warfare 2 since I can't wait to play it etc)

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Hey guys. Quick html/wordpress related question...

I want to see how often people click a specific link to get to another internal page. For instance, to see if having a contact link in my footer is worthwhile or not.

I was thinking of doing fake anchors (href="contact.php#ftr") so I could watch it in Mint, but it only shows the destination page w/o the anchor. Not to mention I am afraid I will start having weird SEO problems.

Any ideas on how to track internal links like that?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
You probably want to look into clickmap tracking or something like that. There is nothing internal to Wordpress for keeping track of what elements people click on.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Ned posted:

You probably want to look into clickmap tracking or something like that. There is nothing internal to Wordpress for keeping track of what elements people click on.

Figured as much, thanks. I actually just realized I could use bit.ly - hope it doesn't slow things down too much. Might look at my own shortener instead.

I just reread the thread...I havent kicked into a WP thread since the old megathread.
:-)

I'm currently reworking http://bit.ly/1NhZs, tweaking the Cleaker theme and making it more to my liking. I've done several dozen WP sites myself and anytime I have an idea or am asked to do come up with one, I immediately think 'how can I do that using wordpress'.

MaiaN
Aug 18, 2004

pipebomb posted:

I've done several dozen WP sites myself and anytime I have an idea or am asked to do come up with one, I immediately think 'how can I do that using wordpress'.

After having done the site redesign this is how I'm starting to think, but I'm worried of ending up trying to shoehorn every single project into WordPress. Has this happened to you Ned? What type of things can WordPress not do very well?

Also you should take a look at qTranslate, from the screenshots of the plugin you linked, qTranslate seems somewhat better - the different language versions are on different tabs in the compose section of the dashboard and it seems cleaner in general. I think the author wrote qTranslate because he was tired of the one you linked.

mynameischainsaw
Aug 12, 2008
Maybe some of you guys can answer this: I'm trying to set up post by email in wordpress, but I would like to have an address that people can send press releases to and have those emails populate as posts in wordpress but I need them sit as 'drafts' or 'pending review' so I can go in and approve/post/delete. Is there a way to do this?

EDIT: POSTIE ROCKS! Thank you sir.

mynameischainsaw fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 30, 2009

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Based on your requirements I think you'll want to install Postie.

I was looking at qTranslate the other day. I like the way it has the multiple slots for each language. I think that is easier for splitting up content on each page. With xLanguage you end up putting spans around each language. This can be a bit easier on pages where you have lots of images mixed with the text and don't want to redo your images for each language.

Either way the multilingual aspects of Wordpress are in good shape. I'm trying to put together a model for websites with Japanese and English content that displays to computers, Japanese cell phones, and iPhones. One of our tasks will be figuring out the best way to enter in a restaurant menu.

I'm not too concerned about trying to shoehorn everything into Wordpress. Most clients and websites need a customer facing area where they can easily add new content and change existing content. I feel Wordpress is the easiest way for most people to do this. I also think Wordpress is constantly improving and will become a great asset in the future. Since the model is very simple it is not hard to do different things within that model. The templates also allow you to go off and do things that Wordpress wouldn't normally do without messing around with the guts of Wordpress.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Just installed http://yourls.org/ (Lester Chan and Ozh wrote it). It creates either a self hosted short url or bit.ly/tr.im/etc. when you make a post, then can optionally tweet it for you. Very cool stuff.

mynameischainsaw
Aug 12, 2008
I'm messing around with an amazon s3 backup plugin right now, but are there any backup plugins you guys would recommend? I'm having trouble getting it up and running.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
If I have the ID of a user and need to look up information, is this the best way to do it? For example:

php:
<?
function generate_profile_link($uid){
  $first_name = get_the_author_meta('first_name', $uid);
  $last_name = get_the_author_meta('last_name', $uid);  
  $link = sprintf("<a href='/People/profile/%s' >%s, %s</a>", $uid, $last_name, $first_name);
  return $link;
}
?>

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Is there a plugin that combines the javascript/css that all the other wordpress plugins install, so that there is only a single request for them? I hate it when a plugin includes the css inline below the header or when plugin javascript is loaded at the top of the page, instead of the bottom :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Lazy post: anyone know of a way to retrieve all of the urls in a post and pop them into an ul?