Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
That is a strange problem.

What I'm talking about :

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...lidator%2F1.654

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Alright I'll look into that as well. Thanks man :)

eHacked
Sep 30, 2003

CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU ARE THE 6,127,436,218TH PERSON TO VIEW THIS USELESS POST. CLICK TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE!!!
Hi guys :D

I've been working with WP for a few years now. So far I've turned it into quite a few things that it wasn't originally designed for, but turned out to be perfectly suited for.

The following site is ADULT. DON'T CLICK AT WORK YOU FAGS.

http://www.cutiesr.us

It's a TGP/Blog/Tube site all rolled into one.

It downloads images off a remote server, and makes a post out of it, and makes thumbnails for the hover over feature.

if I remove all the image-only posts, I'd be left with movies-only, and then the site would be a true tube site.

Wordpress is pretty nifty :)

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I like everything about that site.

eHacked posted:

Hi guys :D

I've been working with WP for a few years now. So far I've turned it into quite a few things that it wasn't originally designed for, but turned out to be perfectly suited for.

The following site is ADULT. DON'T CLICK AT WORK YOU FAGS.

http://www.cutiesr.us

It's a TGP/Blog/Tube site all rolled into one.

It downloads images off a remote server, and makes a post out of it, and makes thumbnails for the hover over feature.

if I remove all the image-only posts, I'd be left with movies-only, and then the site would be a true tube site.

Wordpress is pretty nifty :)

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
I'm trying to do something similar to this:

quote:

Because pages allow you to assign templates to them I create a custom template for philanthropy that goes about getting the children and spitting out the content as subsections of pages. You can also get to each child as an individual page so it can be somewhat useful for people linking to specific content.

What's the easiest way to grab the content of all the children of a page, or even more specifically, posting the children of a page that begin with a certain prefix? Any ideas?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
code:
$arguments = array('child_of' => $post->ID, 'heirarchical' => '0',
		'sort_column' => 'menu_order',
		'sort_order' => 'asc'
		);
$pagelist = get_pages($arguments);
foreach ($pagelist as $post) {
	if (substr($post->post_title, 0, 3) == 'val'){
		setup_postdata($post);
		/* Have a party */

}
}
Might need another thing in the argument to set the parent to post->ID as well but this should be close to what you need. If you have issues hit me up on AIM.

Ned fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 8, 2009

eHacked
Sep 30, 2003

CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU ARE THE 6,127,436,218TH PERSON TO VIEW THIS USELESS POST. CLICK TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE!!!

pipebomb posted:

I like everything about that site.

Thanks. I've worked, and continue to work, very hard on this script. Right now all these things are done outside of wordpress (automatically). I'd like to actually make it a plugin of wordpress where you can control everything from within the admin panel.

The script is 100% done - so if anyone is willing to help me out on converting this into a plugin, I'd be much obliged ;)

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
God I've gotta read the codex more, not at all familiar with the various Wordpress variables and tags, thanks Ned, I appreciate it. That, and the object operator threw me for a loop. loving PHP5, I miss when things were so much simpler and harder. A thing that I should probably know, though:

code:
if (substr($post->post_title, 0, 3) == 'val'){
Just so I'm perfectly clear, you're just using "val" as a placeholder, right?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Yeah. Just match it to whatever specific string you are looking for and increase/decrease the substr in order to match the string.

Technically you could modify wp_query and do the title comparison there to the number of results tossed back. This will get all the children. Not a big deal if you only have a small amount of data but if you have tons you might want to optimize it a little.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
Ned, just a quick question: the return array of get_pages is a list of IDs, correct?

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
Dude, come on:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_pages

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

NotShadowStar posted:

Dude, come on:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_pages

Yeah, read that at 6:00 AM this morning, I was racking my brain thinking how an integer could have properties until I read it now. My mistake.

kontona
May 3, 2003

Not a wp question per se, but I've working on a theme and was wondering what method you guys prefer for rounded corners? I've tried googling but there seems to be a lot of different ways people approach this and I'm kind of confused.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
How big are the boxes you are putting them on?

kontona
May 3, 2003

Width is about 480 pixels. In the past, I just created tables with rounded corner images. Trying not to use tables anymore and debating whether I want to use images still or just css or some other method.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
You can do round corners with css3. If you don't want to go down that route you there are a few ways you can do it using just one image. You need to have a way to get it into the four corners or a mechanism for doing top/bottom.

kontona
May 3, 2003

Ned posted:

You can do round corners with css3. If you don't want to go down that route you there are a few ways you can do it using just one image. You need to have a way to get it into the four corners or a mechanism for doing top/bottom.

Definitely learning towards css3. I really like how simple it is. Shame that it'll look different in IE, but I might go that route for the time being.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
I've used something like jQuery Corners, which allows you to specify through selectors what gets rounded. If the browser has native corner rounding it will use that, otherwise fall back to drawing its own corners (for IE)

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
Unfortunately, CSS3 rounded corners still look like poo poo in webkit, especialyl with a 1-3px stroke on the edge, or else I'd use them as well.

I either just use a top and bottom rounded corner div (it sucks, I know), or if on a solid colored background, use 4 spans and align the to the edge of the DIV. If I want to be fancy, I'll procedurally generate the corner divs/spans via JS, keeping my markup clean.

Aturaten fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 14, 2009

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I wrote a [http://1080d.com/2009/10/load-your-javascript-properly-in-wordpress/]short post[/url] about how to use wp_enqueue_script and wp_enqueue_style on my blog today. In 2.8 they added a toggle at the end of wp_enqueue_script that will put your JS at the bottom of your page. Useful for improving your score on YSlow.

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

Does anybody have any experience of mapping external domain names to WPMU subdirectories?

I've installed WPMU onto a server and used it to develop a site for a client, thinking that I would just be able to map their domain name to the subdirectory's address (ie: http://www.client-name.com maps to http://www.example.com/wpmu/client_name). Is there an easy way of doing this?

I've looked at various domain-mapping-for-WPMU plugins and tutorials online, and they all either:
  • cost money (not that this is a dealbreaker, but I'd like to know if there are any other options
  • require you to have installed WPMU into subdomains
  • require to you to reconfigure WPMU so that it uses subdomains
  • require the setup of VHOSTs or some other Apache configuration
  • or are really really freakin complicated.
As far as commercial plugins are concerned, it's difficult to tell how useful they'd be - there's no way of doing a trial run, so to speak. Have any of you used them?

I would be very grateful for any suggestions you might have, thank you in advance!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Any reason why you are trying to use WPMU in that way? If it is for a specific client and on it's own domain then what part of MU do you need? You should probably set up the blog to resolve to http://client-name.com/ and make sure WPMU can handle requests made there.

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

We're using WPMU because we want to be able to set up new Wordpress sites in the future, hosted from the same server and administrable from the same place. Right now we want http://www.clienta.com to go to http://www.oursite.com/wpmu/clientA, but in the future we might want to have http://www.clientb.com go to http://www.oursite.com/wpmu/clientB.

That's the idea, at least. Have I tried to get WPMU to do something it's not meant to do?

nugget of poo fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 15, 2009

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
In my experience WPMU is meant for providing lots of different blogs on one domain. I know it is used for hosting blogs on multiple domains at Wordpress.com but I think the downloadable version is for subdomains or subdirectories.

There is a post here that explains how to set it up but it is going to be a mess.

I think it is best to set up Wordpress sites individually using cpanel accounts. It makes them a lot more portable. While it is a bit more effort than WPMU it will allow you to tailor the site for each customer's needs.

Sigvatr
Jan 7, 2008

by elpintogrande
I spent like a week designing my Wordpress site and loving around with the php - http://www.sigvatr.com

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Sigvatr posted:

I spent like a week designing my Wordpress site and loving around with the php - http://www.sigvatr.com

I like this. I wouldn't actually read anything in red on black in huge font for more than a paragraph, but I certainly like it.

edit: I would like to respond on your uncomprehensible rants, but I'm unable to. I'm using Chrome if that helps. Firefox works fine.

Sterf fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 16, 2009

Sigvatr
Jan 7, 2008

by elpintogrande
Is your Chrome up to date? It should work no problems otherwise, I tested it myself.

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

Ned posted:

In my experience WPMU is meant for providing lots of different blogs on one domain. I know it is used for hosting blogs on multiple domains at Wordpress.com but I think the downloadable version is for subdomains or subdirectories.

There is a post here that explains how to set it up but it is going to be a mess.

I think it is best to set up Wordpress sites individually using cpanel accounts. It makes them a lot more portable. While it is a bit more effort than WPMU it will allow you to tailor the site for each customer's needs.

Yeah, I think you're right. At least I know, now, but I wish I'd followed the official advice when I installed it and invested the time in getting subdomains up and running properly!

Thank you for the link. I will be brave and follow its instructions!

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Sigvatr posted:

Is your Chrome up to date? It should work no problems otherwise, I tested it myself.

Latest as far as I know, Chrome v4.0.222.12

I don't get the text-fields to enter my information in. See here:

http://www.sterf.be/images/Sigvatr.png

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
Sigvatr that's a really cool theme. My subconscious is eager to read all of the classic video game rants because the site looks like a classic video game in itself. Does that make sense? Whatever, it's pretty rad.

I'm currently diving into Wordpress for the first time and looking into creating my own theme using this awesome tutorial: http://themeshaper.com/wordpress-themes-templates-tutorial/

My singer/songwriter friend wants a site where he can post music, news and gigs. I thought Wordpress would be perfect. Simple for his non-techy mind and easy for me because there is a lot of cool extensions like GigPress to make things easier :)

Can anyone recommend any good books or sites on Wordpress so I can learn more about it?

I've spent the last month or two trying to learn ExpressionEngine and although it's pretty cool, I'm leaning towards Wordpress for personal projects because of the community, more updates and extensions.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
The following scenario comes up a lot (with variations of course) and I usually just end up doing custom development for it instead of using Wordpress. However, I'd really like to start using Wordpress for sites like this so I'm here to see if there's a good solution for the following.

A lot of times clients want 80% static sites that have one or two dynamic pages. Wordpress is perfect for that 80%, but I don't know of a clean and maintainable way of doing the other 20%. Let's say it's a real estate company and they want to have a minimal database of their current listings. Just 4-5 fields and maybe an image. Is there a good way of doing this? Do I have to go down the route of plugins? Is it a bitch?

Before anyone says it, I understand that most of the time that could simply be done by having them create pages in a special category for each of the listings and then use a custom template to display those pages. I've done this many times before when appropriate, but a lot of times it's very limiting (say one of the fields is a price field and they want users to be able to filter between a certain price range).

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

supster posted:

Before anyone says it, I understand that most of the time that could simply be done by having them create pages in a special category for each of the listings and then use a custom template to display those pages. I've done this many times before when appropriate, but a lot of times it's very limiting (say one of the fields is a price field and they want users to be able to filter between a certain price range).

This isn't going to be out-of-the-box functionality for any CMS that isn't real estate or e-commerce focused. You can do some seriously heavy dynamic work with Wordpress, but it's going to require some code. There are a number of real estate listing plugins, I assume one of them would provide that functionality.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

Twiin posted:

This isn't going to be out-of-the-box functionality for any CMS that isn't real estate or e-commerce focused. You can do some seriously heavy dynamic work with Wordpress, but it's going to require some code. There are a number of real estate listing plugins, I assume one of them would provide that functionality.
Real estate listings was simply an example. And if you reread my post I'm not even asking how to do this in Wordpress, but if there is a nice clean way to do it as I'm unhappy with all of the approaches I've taken in the past.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

supster posted:

Real estate listings was simply an example. And if you reread my post I'm not even asking how to do this in Wordpress, but if there is a nice clean way to do it as I'm unhappy with all of the approaches I've taken in the past.

Each different example is going to have a different solution, is my point.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

supster posted:

You can use the stuff I posted earlier for managing publications on a content-based website as a basis. It adds a control panel in the admin interface, and you need to create a custom page to spit out the content how you want it. Problem being, PHP is kind of a poo poo language and Wordpress doesn't help you much outside of Wordpress database functions, so you end up doing a lot of work.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I agree. You will most likely have to create your own model for how to manage that information.

I could see a plugin that attaches a new menubar on the left which has a custom db model associated with it that allows you to enter in all the appropriate information about the real estate.

The plugin would also need to modify the .htaccess file to handle requests related to the data model.

WordPress isn't really a framework for applications. You'd have to build an application which gets turned into a plugin.

You might want to take a look at the code behind Great Real Estate. I took a quick glance and it will add it's own table to the database and then I believe it associates posts with that table. Then you can search directly against that table instead of trying to do wacky things with the Wordpress meta table.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

NotShadowStar posted:

You can use the stuff I posted earlier for managing publications on a content-based website as a basis. It adds a control panel in the admin interface, and you need to create a custom page to spit out the content how you want it. Problem being, PHP is kind of a poo poo language and Wordpress doesn't help you much outside of Wordpress database functions, so you end up doing a lot of work.
Cool - that's what I was looking for. Thanks.

It looks like a bigger pain than it's worth, but good to know anyway.

edit: thanks too, Ned. That plugin looks like a good starting point.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
You might try a WP backed content site and have a Django-powered listing in a subdomain or sub-uri if you know how, and give your users access to the Django control panel which is really quite awesome. Its two separate systems, but probably a whole lot less work for you.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I talked with supster about this on AIM for a bit and thought that custom app that spit out JSON could work very well with Wordpress. If it is a simple model it shouldn't be too hard to put together and then you can focus on bringing in the data to Wordpress in various ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
I'm more familiar with ExpressionEngine than I am Wordpress, even though I like Wordpress a lot more because EE is pretty bad (my blog - http://leftnode.com/blog).

Has anyone purchased and installed Shopp? I'm in the process of building eCommerce software for my business (because the open source ones are generally horrible, and I don't want something hosted), but until then I wanted to use an off the shelf solution. Is Shopp worth it? It'll be about 500-700 products, about 10,000 views a month, and $100,000+ a year in transactions on a Slicehost slice. Can Shopp handle that?