Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
Is it possible to restore a Wordpress blog to:
1. A fresh Wordpress install (used Fantastico)
2. I have all the Wordpress files stored i.e. wp-content, wp-admin, wp-includes, etc. I basically saved them through FTP.
3. No backed database file, but a new database created by Fantastico.

Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

csammis posted:

Why didn't you save the database?

Because I'm stupid and naive, honestly - never thought I would lose my content and the host wouldn't have a backup. I've got backup methods now thankfully.

Ned posted:

You can just create a new database and modify wp-config.php and point it to the new database and Wordpress will create the table structure and admin account. The wordpress install is quite simple so I think Fantastico just takes out the uploading and db creation steps out the the equation.

Yep, this is what I did. Google cached post of my posts all well so I've got everything mostly back to normal. Thanks guys!

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Is it possible to upload a bunch of images via FTP instead of using the individual upload media interface within the post page? I tried with no luck (Wordpress not detecting images in the "gallery").

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

I've started a new Wordpress blog as of this month. Nothing too serious, just weekly reviews posts. We've started to publicize this site and now I'm really attempting to make an effort to optimize it, reading about SEO, etc. I admit I'm not that fluent with all the backend Wordpress stuff.

I'd like more functionality in regard to stats and Google results. My dashboard shows no incoming links (though I know we have incoming links)and when I use the Markup Validation Service, I get lots of error results. Not sure how relevant this is - to be honest it's a lots of technobabble to me. Is it worth the time to go through and correct them?

I used to have Google Analytics for Wordpress on my dashboard as well, but it would pull results for http://myblog.com myblog.com, https://www.myblog.com etc. I de-activated it simply because those results seemed pretty meaningless to interpret. Researching the issue gave me this link but I'm not at the knowledge level to understand/interpret that.

Hopefully this is a site I'm going to put lots more time and effort into, but if I can, I'd like to have everything running somewhat smoothly. If anyone could assist with this, I'd be grateful/willing to reimburse if need be.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any customizable calculator sidebar widget that could be used for real estate for calculating agents' commission? I'm working on a website for a real estate business that would like to utilize something like this on their "Join our Team!" page where a potential agents could input the gross commission from a sale and the calculator could break down the fees and spit out the net commission.

Something like this, but that would include a drop-down to represent 3 different splits:
http://www.cbdanforth.com/commission-calculator

Alternatively, if anyone could develop one, send me a PM.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Kitsch! posted:

Are there any customizable calculator sidebar widget that could be used for real estate for calculating agents' commission? I'm working on a website for a real estate business that would like to utilize something like this on their "Join our Team!" page where a potential agents could input the gross commission from a sale and the calculator could break down the fees and spit out the net commission.

Something like this, but that would include a drop-down to represent 3 different splits:
http://www.cbdanforth.com/commission-calculator

Alternatively, if anyone could develop one, send me a PM.

Reposting this before I go to SA-Mart, appropriate reimbursement will be provided for this project. :)

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

rugbert posted:

Im looking for a plug in like AddThis, but one that shows the number of facebook likes and number of tweets but also lets you email the post, bookmark ect ect. Doesnt look like the wordpress version has that feature.

I know there's plug-ins like Sociable but I could never get it to look right on my blog (formatting issues). I use separate plug-ins for FB like (Facebook Likes You!), FB share (Facebook Share) and a Tweet button (Twitter Goodies). I do need to get something for e-mail and possibly Digg/Reddit. Or just get one that integrates all and I can pick and choose what I want.

Kitsch! fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 17, 2011

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Bastard posted:

This is what it looks like for me right now (Win7, FF 3.6, IE8)

Also, regarding spacing issues: check your code, there are some funky bits in there. For example:

- Your main page container is 911px wide, yet the header image/link is defined as 950px wide.
- The facebook box is 250px wide, yet the sidebar is only 180px wide.
- The content div is 700px wide, the sidebar has 15px padding + 180px width, and is floated right. This is a total of 895px on total width of 911px, so when floating the sidebar to the right, you'll get extra space between sidebar and content (as float: right will push an element to the right of the parent container).

We changed the theme shortly after that post just to make the layout a little more streamlined. Unfortunately I have no formal CSS training - it's more "change a pixel value in the stylesheet and see how it looks on the screen" method, so thanks for the input on those numbers.

cocteau posted:

Do you think this might have started after updating your WP to 3.2?

Actually, that could very well be. I'll take a look at it.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Can anyone recommend any paid Worpdress templates that offer decent support (forums or otherwise)? I've been using free themes so far but unfortunately, whenever something inevitably goes awry I've had to rely on my very limited CSS knowledge to try to fix things (which usually ends up making things worse and breaking the site).

I've been looking at Simple Themes (http://www.simplethemes.com/wordpress-themes/), but I'm kind of hesitant about purchasing one and wondering if it's even worth it. I basically need something for a blog format that's simple but somewhat customizable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Mike1o1 posted:

I've been using http://themeshaper.com/thematic/, it's free and has a ton of customization and flexibility for creating child themes. They have forums and a wiki as well, though the wiki is fairly incomplete.

I think the default Twenty Eleven is just as simple and flexible for creating child themes these days, though.

I also found that CSS is really easy to learn, all I've been doing is using the Inspect Element feature of Chrome and Firebug on existing sites to figure out what they're doing.

Thanks, I'll have to check that one out. I think the problem I've found with trying to fix a site (mostly appearance related) is that I'll try to change the CSS to include or remove something and it ends up not working or completely doing the opposite of what I intended (most likely from user error). Recently I tried to include a header on a theme that didn't originally have one and it was a failed attempt after many frustrating attempts.

I do need to read up more on Firebug. I was working on link hover features recently and while the Firebug screen was showing one thing (that I wanted to remove), my original CSS was not showing it at all.

I feel like a technology-ignorant elderly person :(