Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

kedo posted:

A client of mine is getting ready to launch a network of WordPress-driven blogs. I have tons of experience working with WP, but not with a network of individual blogs. I know there's a slew of plugins out there designed to make managing a bunch of separate installs easier... can anyone point me to their favorites and/or some articles about best practices?

Quoting myself coz I'm still interested in an answer, if anyone has experience with this.

I'm looking into ManageWP at the moment... has anyone used them in the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

At work, we have about fifty WP sites. I manage them all with InfiniteWP. Its pricing is one-time, not subscription. Also, you run it on your own server (we needed this because some of our WP sites are internal, so something like ManageWP wouldn't be able to communicate with them).

It's alright. Does everything I need, but it's missing polish in a few places (like, say, being able to sort/alphabetize my list of sites would be swell). Wouldn't hurt to play with it. The only downside, and this is pretty minor, is that you do have to host it yourself, and it's slightly more complex to install InfiniteWP than a WordPress site. It's not difficult by any means (if you know how to create a database manually, you're golden), but it's no famous five-minute install.

That looks like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sleepstupid posted:

I'm hoping I can find someone else who can step in and "get us across the finish line".

Freelancers are going to be your best bet assuming you don't want to start over from scratch. A "top notch Wordpress development" company is not going to want to fix or build on whatever your current developer has delivered, they'd probably want to start from scratch. When a client says they need someone to "get them across the finish line," it immediately throws up a bunch of red flags, and most companies will avoid projects like that because they're always, always terrible.

Sleepstupid posted:

Not to mention it seems as though when someone says they "make" Wordpress sites, that means they can change themes, and when they say they can customize Wordpress that means they can install pluigins

Sounds like you want to look for someone who does custom theme development, if you want another search term to use.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 30, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anyone aware of a plugin and/or a functions.php modification that'll add featured images into an RSS feed? I'm specifically looking for one that'll tag it as <media:content> in RSS, not just appending it to the content like this. I've found that same method half a dozen times now, and it isn't quite what I'm looking for.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

e: This post was a lie because I misread a button. :doh:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

http://jsfiddle.net/HREqE/2/

You needed to use .attr('data-rel') to find your content box class, not .data('rel'). That's not what the data function is for. RTFM and all that jazz, blah blah. ;)

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 26, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Khelmar posted:

I've finished the coding parts of my wife's website. However, I'm crappy at design, and I can't find a free theme that looks good. What should I expect to pay someone to just do the layout / beautification of a WordPress site?

Depends on the complexity of the site and how talented of a designer you hire. You might want to just buy a theme unless you want to go through the whole process of searching for and hiring a designer/developer. WooThemes tends to have some nice stuff.

Khelmar posted:

Also, out of curiosity, what do people charge to set up custom Gravity Forms and websites? The prices I've seen quoted online seem to range from $500 to $5000, so I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what's reasonable.

Again, this depends on the complexity of the form and website. This is like asking, "How much does a car cost?" A single license for Gravity Forms is $40, and a developer's hourly rate will be anywhere between probably $40-100/hr for what you're looking for.

e: Unless they're in India.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I could use some plugin recommendations, please! I'm starting on a new project with requirements that are going into new territory for me, so I want to make sure I'm doing things the right way from the get go (or as close to the right way as possible).

The short version is that I need a relatively robust user management system. I'd prefer if it allowed users to login with a Facebook/Twitter/etc account, but I'd also like them to have the option to create a new WordPress account. I'd like to be able to attach data to each user account based on their interaction with the site (ie. someone casts a vote on a gravity form, a number attached to their account is incremented). This is my phase one goal, but I'd like to be able to do a lot with these accounts in the future. Maybe tying them in with a forum, creating individual user profiles / landing pages, etc.

I've really never done much with accounts in general, so any advice is super welcome.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Any recommendations for graphing plugins for WordPress? I'm checking out Visualizer and WordPress Charts at the moment but am wondering if there are any others I should be looking at.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Seconding the WordPress Codex as a fantastic resource. It sounds like you're knowledgable enough that you probably don't need to have your hand held, so something like the Theme Development article would probably be a great starting point.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Is there a way to prevent WordPress from setting menus and sidebars back to the default whenever you change a theme? This is super obnoxious when I'm making a minor update to a via activating a new child theme.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

How about allowing users to register accounts as subscribers and then making all those pages private?

This seems like it might be helpful: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/making-private-posts-visible-for-subscribers And there are a million registration plugins out there.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

There are so many things wrong with that code. align=center is super old, deprecated and should not be used. That's not how you do media queries, and anyways media queries cannot be inline. Not intended to be rude question that will probably seem rude: do you actually know HTML?

Simplified:

CSS code:
.first, .second { display: none; }

@media screen and (max-width: 767px) {
  .first { display: block; }
}

@media screen and (min-width: 768px) {
  .second { display: block; }
}
code:
<iframe class="first"></iframe>
<iframe class="second"></iframe>
It's unlikely you can do this all in the post editor in WP without sticking lots of code in your posts, if that's what you're trying to do.

e: Actually can you just set a fluid width on those iframes? Do they need to be set widths? The video appears to be streaming at the same quality either way, so the size is relatively superficial.

Ie. (with some ugly inline CSS ;) )

code:
<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="width: 100%; height: auto;" src="...	"></iframe>

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 25, 2014

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

stoops posted:

I have a google hosted wordpress site that is using Contact Form 7. Instead of using godaddys email server, I'm using Google's.

my problem is that my form doesn't work when I use my main email address (myname@mydomain.com) as the recipient.

if i put in any other email address (that doesn't have my domain on the email) as the recipient, my form works.

any idea what the problem is, or what I should be looking at?

I appreciate any help.

Turn email off on GoDaddy. I've had this same issue dozens of times in the past (you'd think I'd learn). The short version is since you're tying to send email from a page on mydomain.com to an address at mydomain.com the server says, "Oh, that's me!" and tries to send it to itself. If you turn mail services off entirely on GoDaddy, it'll go through to Google.

Or at least I'd bet a dollar that's the issue. ;)

e: Wait, a "google hosted wordpress site"? Do you mean GoDaddy? If not, where does GoDaddy come into the equation here?

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 29, 2014

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

No clue! You're going to need to dig around in the control panel a bit. The name and location of that option is going to change based on what sort of software they're using, and I'm not personally familiar with GoDaddy hosting.

If all else fails, their support folks can probably help you out.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Is anyone aware of a plugin that would adjust Advanced Custom Fields's administrative UI to be a little more compact? I have a project with a repeater nested three deep, and unless you're on a massive monitor text fields become unusably narrow.

I'll probably just end up modifying the CSS myself, but figured I'd check first.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

A 100ms timeout isn't horrific, but otherwise agreed.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Somebody needs to re-read that code :)

Er, whoops... :stonklol: Yeah, never mind.

El Grillo posted:

This is a brochure website for a corporate ball thing, it really is about effect and striking design, getting people excited about the event. So the sacrifice in terms of functionality will hopefully be worth it.

This is incorrect. Huge sacrifices in functionality are never worth creating "effect and striking design." Take this from someone with tons of experience in the matter. I've done probably upwards of 30 restaurant websites in my day and every single client would come into our first meeting saying, "we need to create an atmosphere," or "I want people to feel like they're really there," or "lets have some music play," or "I need an animated intro of my chef posing with steak knives," etc.

Without exception, every project where I capitulated to the client's wishes resulted in a terrible website that was useless for users and thus for the client as well. One Flash-driven monstrosity was actually cited in a "worst restaurant websites chosen by users" article.

Take a step back and really consider why people are going to be viewing this brochure site. It's likely to get information about the ball, no? What information do they need to in order to decide whether or not to attend? The location? The cost? Activities? Then ask yourself, "does adding three seconds of animation delays into page loads, potentially the single most important metric on a website, help my users achieve their goals, or hinder them?"

If you still say, "well it's worth it because..." congratulations – you have given birth to Bad Design and should be ashamed.

El Grillo posted:

If anyone can have a look at the code above and tell me where I'm going wrong, that'd be awesome!

The whole thing.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What's the page? How do you know you're not just getting a lot of traffic? 6k hits in 12 hours is not a ridiculous amount of traffic... that's only like 8 visits a minute. So if it's an attack, it's a hell of a lovely one.

If anything, view source on the page and look for weird redirects. Check your code and database for large chunks of base64. That's more in the "I was hacked" camp as opposed to "I'm being attacked," but it might account for the traffic.

kedo fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 12, 2014

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

kiwid posted:

Actually gently caress it, I'm just going to delegate this one.

Probably the best bet. WordPress aside, there's very little you could just copy and paste wholesale from one site to another except for maybe base CSS styles. In order to make one site look like another can be a big task.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

wp_query question.

I have a wp_query running that's looking for custom posts that have specific categories. There are 10 total custom posts, 7 of which have the categories I'm looking for. However when I echo $wp_query->found_posts onto the page it's returning the total number of custom posts (10) instead of the number it's actually displaying (7). I get the feeling it's because I'm declaring $paged before the query is run, so it's simply looking at all of the posts rather than those returned by the query, but I'm unsure if that's true or how to rewrite this.

Any point me in the right direction?

PHP code:
<?php 
$results = explode(",", "75,76,63,26,30,77,")
$paged = ( get_query_var( 'paged' ) ) ? absint( get_query_var( 'paged' ) ) : 1;
$args = array(
  'category__in' => $results,
  'post_type' => 'special-features',
  'post_parent' => 0,
  'posts_per_page' => 5,
  'paged' => $paged,
);
$the_query = new WP_Query( $args );

if ($the_query->have_posts()): ?>
  Total posts <?php echo $wp_query->found_posts; // Returns 10 instead of 7 ?>
<?php 
  // Rest of the loop happens here
?>
e: I ended up solving this with a bit of a workaround. Turns out that found_posts returns the total number of posts regardless of category (or something, it's surprisingly poorly documented). So instead of echoing its value into the page I'm simply doing a get_posts() and counting the results. Seems silly to me, but it works.

PHP code:
<?php
$countArgs = array(
  'category__in' => $results,
  'post_type' => 'special-features',
  'post_status' => 'publish',
  'showposts' => -1
);
$totalPostCount = count(get_posts($countArgs));
?>

Total posts <?php echo $totalPostCount; ?>

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 19, 2014

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have a client that's big on displaying related posts or pages in sidebars on pages. He likes having precise control over it (he doesn't like anything to be automated), so I currently have ACF relationship fields set up on every single page and post on his site which allows him to choose exactly which post shows up where.

However now he wants to be able to display related content on archive and category pages, which I don't think is going to be possible for me to do the same way since those pages can't have custom fields attached to them.

Any ideas for plugins or techniques that would work well here?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

streetlamp posted:

What about putting some ACF fields on an options page and then just include them in the archive template?

That looks like that could work pretty well, didn't even think to look at their add-ons. :doh: Thanks!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Alright, NextGEN is a pile of poo poo and I hate it. Can anyone suggest a gallery plugin that would provide the following functionality while not being a pile of poo poo?

• Ability to create multiple galleries
• Galleries not tied to specific pages, but can be easily embedded on any page or post
• Ability to retrieve entire gallery as PHP object so I can create my own view and/or a robust templating system
• Titles & captions for images

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hire a developer to help you. Seriously no offense intended, but it sounds like you have zero idea what you're doing and you'll probably end up going in circles in this thread.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The easiest way I can think of is to tell Google not to index it in your robots.txt. Someone who's clever enough to look at your robots.txt would see it and perhaps go there themselves, but seems to me like there are few who would go to the trouble.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

fuf posted:

How busy does a site have to be before caching and minifying plugins like W3 Total Cache are worth it? Sometimes I work on sites that I know are only getting like 20 visitors a day, but they have these elaborate caching systems set up that make them a total hassle to work with. Is it legit to tell them to get rid of them?

A side benefit for plugins like W3 Total Cache is that they put less strain on a server. If these sites are on a crappy shared host and if they're doing lots of crazy PHP nonsense on every page load, W3 can speed things up a bit.

However you can probably make a good case for disabling them while you're working, at the very least.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Custom post type / Advanced Custom Fields question.

For ease of editing, I'm using custom post types for each of the main content sections on a site I'm working on. Most of the sections are collections of pages (eg. "About Us" type stuff) instead of collections of posts (eg. "News"). So for example, I'd like to make the content on the landing page for the About section easily editable by the client. Right now I just have a sub page in the About section named "About," but when someone accesses it the URL looks idiotic: foobar.com/about/about

Is there a way to either:

A) Have the About page within the About custom post type accessible by hitting foobar.com/about? I thought about doing some wp_query magic in the archive-about.php template, but worry that this wouldn't be a sustainable solution if the client wanted to add new sections.

B) Use ACF to give the admins the ability to edit content in one spot I can pull into the archive-about.php template? I know an options page would work for this, but I'd like to keep everything within the About section if I can.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

snagger posted:

Why isn't the About section a single page?

Because there are multiple sub pages.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

slothrop posted:

I'm building a site for the liquor store I work at, we regularly host Whisky tastings. I'm trying to direct ticket sales and membership details through the the site to ease management of the events. We have a fairly decent sized 'membership' and I'd like to be able to manage that all through the site rather than spending hours manually updating a spreadsheet from handwritten forms.

I've got a decent event plugin that lets me sell tickets through WooCommerce but I'm looking for a plugin or extension that makes WC capture a few more customer details at registration e.g. phone number & address (and makes it easy for users to update these details) Ideally it'd have MailChimp integration too so I can let people manage their own email preferences through the site but that's optional.

I've played around with s2member before but I understand it doesn't play too well with WC and my ticketing plugin is WC based so I would prefer something that just extended WC in a fairly seamless way

I may be dreaming here but if anyone has any experience/suggestions I'd be very appreciative.

edit: It's important that we're able to view a users details (phone number, address) so that we can get orders to them, ideally I'd be able to download a .csv of member names & numbers or similar and print it out

Gravity Forms sounds like it would probably work for this?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

fuf posted:

Duplicator plugin does exactly that and might be easier than doing it manually. Check it out.

Definitely look into this, but there's no reason you can't move a WP site from one server/domain to another manually too. There might be small differences between the different servers that might impact your site, but that rarely happens. (eg. if the different servers have different versions of PHP some of your code in templates might not work).

If you transfer things manually the process generally looks like this:

• Ensure you have an up to date version of all the WP files accessible by FTP (either keep a local copy or just download it from your development server)
• Export your database following WordPress's instructions
• Optionally, if you're changing the domain you can open up the .sql file you just downloaded and do a find/replace for instances of the old domain
• Upload database and files to new site, making adjustments where needed (eg. wp-config)

But look in to Duplicator first. Knowing how to move a site yourself without the use of plugins can be a good learning opportunity, but if there's an easy way to streamline the process you may as well use it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I need the ability to export posts in custom-formatted XML. I've toyed with a couple of plugins that allow you to export posts in various formats (none of which are quite what I'm looking for), but am wondering if there's perhaps an easier/better way to do it. Any ideas? Wondering if I'd be better off simply writing some PHP by hand that outputs XML.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Are you sure he's trying to login on the right site? I can't tell you how many times I've seen users try to login on wordpress.com – their login screen is identical to a default WP install.

Also, are you positive he's using the right email address? Even if there were email problems, that shouldn't stop him from being able to login or form WP knowing that there's an account paired with the address. This sounds like a PEBCAK issue to me.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

iThemes security is throwing up 404s because in my pages there is

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/favicon1.png" />

even though that file definitely exists.

So I have 2 questions.
1. Why would that be?
2. Is there anyway to find where that is defined in my themes or plugins? I'm using Divi and can not see any mention of that in header.php. I'm planning on replacing it with a .ico assuming I can find the line.

question 2 resolved - found it in one of the Divi options. I still don't know why it would be however.

If it's 404ing it doesn't exist at that location, or with that file extension, or whatever. The browser isn't going to lie to you about that.

Since it's pointing to something in the /uploads/ folder I would hazard a guess that your theme provides you an upload option somewhere on a settings page. I'd look for that before you start editing code.

Otherwise, get a text editor (ie. Sublime Text or TextMate or something) that allows you to do a find across all files in a folder and search for "shortcut icon" in your theme directory.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've been working with WordPress for ages but am relatively new to plugin writing. As a learning exercise, I'm in the process of writing a simple plugin that returns certain post data in a custom format after a user clicks a button on the edit screen.

Currently I have the button on the edit screen sending folks to /plugindirectory/foo.php?id=[the post id]. My question is this – how the heck do I retrieve post data in foo.php? I'm assuming I need to require some PHP in there in order to be able to get_post() or what have you, but I'm novice enough that I'm not sure where to start.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

snagger posted:

Your objective comes in two chunks:
1. Retrieving a custom post. You'll probably need to run a query on the custom post type and then construct a loop: https://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Types#Querying_by_Post_Type
2. Output your post data as form field default values, rather than as plain old HTML.

Yep, I assumed as much. However my problem is that right now my PHP file has zero connection to the rest of WP, so I can't even begin to construct a loop because everything is undefined.

Here's the structure I have currently:

pluginfile.php
foo.php

pluginfile.php inserts a "click me" button on the post edit screen. Clicking the button sends the user to foo.php with the post ID attached as a URL parameter attached. My goal is to echo various stuff form the post in foo.php, but since it's a standalone PHP file I currently can't.

Am I approaching this in an asinine manner?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

streetlamp posted:

I think a solid boilerplate could help you out as far as how to properly structure a plugin and use WP functions
https://github.com/devinvinson/WordPress-Plugin-Boilerplate/

You are likely very right about that. Thank you sir!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Can anyone recommend a solid, reliable user management plugin? I'm happy to pay for it assuming its of high quality (like ACF or Gravity Forms quality).

Things I need to be able to do:
• Bulk administer users
• More user levels/roles than the default options WP provides
• Display pages conditionally for users
• Disallow non-admin users from accessing the WP dashboard
• Ability to generate auth codes to email to users to allow them to set up accounts w/ a certain role
• e: Oh, and integrates nicely with Sales Force

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 24, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

fadderman posted:

What is the best way to debug a wp plugin, completely new to wordpress and my debug log has been trowing up errors

1. Read error text to determine location of bug
2. Find bug and fix it
3. GOTO 1 until all bugs are fixed

I would offer more specific advice, but your question is about as vague as they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Why would you do that in WordPress? It doesn't sound like you want to use any of the functionality WordPress offers besides templating (sorta). I've got to believe there are better tools for the job.

If I were you I'd be asking for recommendations for a PHP/SQL framework (if those are the languages you actually want to use). Querying a database based on URL is not a difficult task without a CMS.