Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Is there a plugin that combines the javascript/css that all the other wordpress plugins install, so that there is only a single request for them? I hate it when a plugin includes the css inline below the header or when plugin javascript is loaded at the top of the page, instead of the bottom :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice

NotShadowStar posted:

It sounds like the plugin author is using script or style tags instead of wp_enqueue_script and wp_enqueue_stylesheet like it's supposed to. Those functions are meant to buffer in all of the stylesheets and javascripts so when the rendering chain hits wp_header() it'll print out everything.

Thanks. This is an easy to follow solution and I won't have any problems modifying the few plugins that step out of line like this.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
I like to start off themes using starkers. It strips out a lot of the crap that the WordPress devs thought should go into themes. The WordPress Codex (theme development) is actually pretty awesome, so reference it as often as you can. I shudder every time I look at the source of a WordPress site and see crap like

<span class="title">Post Title</span>

... so don't do that! Good luck with your first battle with themes.

hmm yes fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 2, 2009

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
With that many products and transactions, why are you wanting to use a WordPress plugin instead of a dedicated ecommerce application? You'll get much more out of something like Chromium Cart--and you won't have WordPress crushing your willpower because you tried to make it do something it wasn't intended to do.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
I wouldn't want to give the impression that Shopp couldn't handle it, because I'm sure it could. I only wanted to know what your reason for using a plugin was :) Even "because I know WordPress and don't want to spend time learning something else" is probably a good enough reason.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
I am pretty sure you would be able to get what you want using a combination of user access manager and capability manager.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
It could be that Auth.net and/or the plugin will not work in production without SSL enabled.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
With some tweaking this will get you what you want:

Wrap the bloginfo() calls inside the link. With the link being a block element, you can make it take up the entire #header. The absolute positioning lets you get the bloginfo() results where you want without relying on padding, which can be a pain.

code:
<div id="header">

<a href="<?php echo get_option('home'); ?>/">

<span id="name">
      <?php bloginfo('name'); ?>
    </span>

<span id="description">
      <?php bloginfo('description'); ?>
    </div>

</a>

</div>

#header a { display: block; position: relative; height: 367px; text-decoration: none; }
#name { position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; }
#description { position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; }

You could even just do a#header instead of having that extra div in there.

Also you could make the link a block element, position it absolutely inside #header, set the height and width, give it a high z-index, and place it over top of name and description with an   for the link text. ehhh

hmm yes fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 23, 2010

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice

Twiin posted:

You're waaaaay overthinking this. Just stick it in a plain-rear end HTML table and use jQuery tablesorter.

This. If you aren't sold on WordPress, you might also just be happier using Google Sites and embedding a Google Docs spreadsheet on the homepage. If they have a domain name, its pretty easy to set up Google Apps.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
There are similar inspectors built into Safari and Chrome and you may prefer the way they look over Firebug.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Every WordPress website is a defeat, you get used to it.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Yes:

1- Edit your template to filter by category in the get_posts loop
2- Install a plugin that excludes categories for you

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Anyone able to provide a brief example on adding custom columns to a custom post type, and then pulling that custom column in a loop? The codex is lacking, and a few blog posts I've tracked down all do it differently / they don't work

hmm yes fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 22, 2010

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
I'm pretty sure he meant you would include something like class="author_<?php the_author_ID(); ?>" into your existing post container.

More: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/the_author_ID

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Are you sure its not just a pathing issue? What code are you using to display the image, and where are they located inside your WordPress install?

It may also be a permissions issue. I know that on my Mac, if I copy an image from my NAS it comes without the correct permissions for Apache to serve up the image, and I need to set read access to the file.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Gravity Forms supports most of your requirements. I'm pretty sure that if you don't want the directory to be a custom post type it will cover them all. I bought a developer license for Gravity Forms since I use it so much, and highly recommend it.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
WordPress really only became great when they introduced custom post types. Leverage this feature and you will be happy!

Admin Menu Editor: Reorder or hide menu items in the admin. Great for when you hand things over and you want make it easier for the user. Works with custom post types, too.

Secure Wordpress: Removes WordPress version info from header and other things

Velvet Blues Update Urls: Updates database urls for attachments, useful for moving from local to staging, and then again from staging to production

Multiple Post Thumbnails: Allows you to give posts (and custom post types) more than a single Featured Image

Postmash: can be used to edit the order of Posts or any Custom Post type using a drag and drop interface. Useful if you don't want to have to manually sort using the Order field.

hmm yes fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 16, 2010

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
There are exploits that can scan all sub-directories of each user's home directory for passwords inside of configuration files. If any password found this way matches the ftp or cpanel password of the username found in the home directory, the exploit marks it down. With that, the exploiter could easily login to cpanel (if you have that set up) and import their own information through phpmyadmin. They could also easily execute a script that inserts the new admin user into the database, since they already have access to the server and just pulled out the username/password to the database. This would not send a new user message through WordPress.

A lot of things need to be wrong for this to work (exploit in some other non-wordpress account, poor server php configuration, password in wp-config.php is the same as ftp/cpanel) but I've recently dealt with that on some (terrible) shared host with some websites that I inherited.

Not sure if that helps or not :(

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Nothing wrong starting with Twenty Ten theme + the All in One SEO plugin

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
There are many goons that can help, you just need to post your budget so they can figure out what they can do for you.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
You can also just keep the one query and drop in some javascript to sort the tables.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Duplicate the folder => change the theme name at the very top of theme_dir/style.css

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
That's not really an appropriate solution if you're handing the website over to someone else to maintain

You can allow the images to be uploaded with the multiple post thumbnails plugin. Adds additional Featured Images for your custom post type.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Even 'no graphic design elements' requires some design. Make sure you get a PSD to review before they start coding.

60 hours (2.5 days * 3 developers) for coding and deploying a WordPress theme is well within a reasonable range for the time it should take, not including design time. The quality of the development work and what they promise to deliver (ex. customization on internal pages, widget bar support, browser compatibility, administrative tools, sitemap/analytics setup, etc.) are what will determine if it is a good deal or not. $25/hour for a freelancer is on the low end for rates.

hmm yes fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 22, 2011

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Yeah, it sucks. If you're on a bad shared host, and someone else doesn't patch their timthumb, dudes will just re-scan your folders for passwords and you'll be screwed again in a couple of weeks. Find a way to bill your clients :)

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Any recommended resources/best practices for plugin development, beyond whats available on the WordPress Codex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
I spend a good chunk of my day in Sublime Text 2. It is Pretty Good.