Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

bosses brought on another developer and they set up the project they were working on in sage 9 blade templates which i've never used before. i've worked with mvc cmss in the past, specifically Silverstripe, so i get the appeal of using something like that in wordpress, it just seems like its just extra configuration and potential complications (e.g. deploying to wpengine). is there anyone here that swears by it? i'm curious but also apprehensive. we're also using acf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Whats cmb from? That doesnt look like a normal wp script. Plugin?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

also that is 100% a jquery deprecated function https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14354040/jquery-1-9-live-is-not-a-function

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

see also https://www.kickstartcommerce.com/fixing-wordpress-wp-auth-check-min-js-uncaught-typeerror.html

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Friend posted:

Yes! This helped so much, thank you. The buttons work now, and best I can tell it is from some old plugin script that hasn't been updated in like 5 years.

wordpress.txt

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

anybody have one weird trick for handling plugins w/ version control? i wish there was an equivalent of composer dependencies for some of this stuff. I dont want to commit an entire plugin, nor do I want to just hope somebody reads the readme.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

has divi at least fixed their front-end bloat? I remember using it many years ago but it made the whole front end of the site slow as gently caress.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

As a developer, i hate wordpress.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Because wordpress is hell

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

kedo posted:

Check out Gravity Forms addons section on their site, I’m 99% sure they have a quiz addon.

they do, but if you need to display results i'd stay away from it. {all_fields} outputs as a table and its disgusting trying to rewrite the output filter

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

gonna get into gutenberg starting next week, and we're gonna be using acf i believe for db stuff. I really really hate that that stuff's not version controlled, it bothers me that acf doesn't scrub the database once a field/group is deleted and i can't convince them to use theme code pro which at least saves field settings as json locally, so I want to look at doing it from scratch and maybe building something to make it a bit easier and more appealing for the other devs on my team. i took a look at wpbrick and it seems pretty solid, though the codebase has a tooon of settings and configs thats probably only useful to a non-developer, is there a good starter example of a basic custom gutenberg block theme/plugin thats only geared towards devs? I really don't care about offering the client/user the ability to control block padding by pixel.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

but thats a manual process right?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

The fact that wordpress stores block data as html inside post_content column is absolutely insane to me.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

foghorn posted:

It's the legacy sites that are going to keep that insanity going. So many older sites are built on that structural idea, and way too many plugins expect it to make any radical changes. Shifting it into something that makes more sense, like having it sliced into multiple rows in a child table, would mean a dramatic shift that will probably break a lot of things.

Like someone else mentioned, moving away from the WP brand might be a good idea for this too. Leaving the existing code as the legacy WP system, and building a semi clean sheet system that can take advantage of these designs as a new brand would make a ton of sense.

Its something awful :classiclol:

My dream is to just set up a silverstripe install inside a wp theme somehow. Its probably more work than its worth but itd be fun to figure out.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

p sure you just use nonce

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

anybody have any experience auto-generating "posts" with viewable pages (in this case a catalogue of products) from an external REST api? Trying to think of a solution that doesn't involve copying results from the API to the DB while still being able to take advantage of builtin stuff like sitemap generation etc, is it pretty much just down to running it all in a react app w/ routing and a separate product-only sitemap?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

i have a clients website with 13000 posts, 7000 terms for said posts, a dozen plugins and 30 second page loads for editing posts. edit: should clarify, the loads aren't on the posts themselves, but on pages with lots of ACF fields using data from those posts/tags (relationship fields, term fields, yadda yadda)

a while back, using query monitor found some code in our theme that was taking a good chunk of time to execute, so i changed it and made it use transients etc. seemed to have fixed it for a while.
a couple months later and the slow loads are back, fixed another leak in our stuff but I keep seeing KILLED QUERY(~35000 characters long etc) in WPEngine, but now its from other plugins like ACF and Yoast. Client is also running WPML, and all those associated "WPML for X support" plugins. Can't do anything about that

Object caching speeds it up, but only to these abysmal load speeds - with it disabled, i honestly dont know if the page ever loads.

Common denominator seems to be queries involving get_terms, but I haven't been able to find a solution that addresses our theme and all these plugins.
I don't wanna keep banging my head against a wall - is there anything you folks would recommend trying or do i just need to tell my boss that they need to pay more for a better server or something, because codebase is locked in and I can't do anything about the plugins used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

gutenberg's getting better but its still full of weird structural decisions that they'll definitely be paying for in the future.

im pretty sure its still a bug in core, but i found out that if you use theme.json / the full site editor stuff you can't also use php templates at all. it won't render block styles, period. so no best of both worlds w/ super customized pages and generic gutenberg templates.