Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
"We're getting inundated with spam! Drop everything you're doing and fix this!"

>its literally 3 comments of spam

Small businesses can be annoying sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I'm starting to learn the Roots stack of Sage / Bedrock / Trellis. Do any of you use it? I don't know how I feel about it. The templating engine is kinda cool I guess but alot of it sems unnecessarily complex, like having to deal with ACF via code instead of using the UI...

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Seems to be the same things I've experienced so far. You're right it's not php beginner or probably intermediate friendly, it's very devout lol.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
What do you use instead of Trellis btw, Local? It takes me like a half hour to set up a trellis since i'm always dealing with errors.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

kedo posted:

It depends on the project tbh, but I usually budget 1-2 hours for local dev environment setup.

If I'm coding a site for a client and they already have a (good) host or I can recommend a host, I'll usually put them on a host with a dev tool that's easy to work with (ie. Kinsta/DevKinsta, Pantheon/Localdev, Flywheel/Local). That way I don't have to think too much about the development environment, can easily push/pull code and databases every which way between various local and dev/test/prod environments, and when it's time for launch I don't have to deal with moving everything from server A to B. Local is my favorite of the three tools, but Kinsta is my favorite of the three hosts, so it's a mixed bag. :shrug:

Otherwise, if I need to spin up something locally for whatever reason, I use MAMP and then try to get the project into something closer to the final environment as quickly as possible. MAMP is dead simple, and WordPress isn't a terribly finicky application that's suddenly going to break on different hardware, so Trellis just seems like overkill. It sounds great if it works, but nothing ever works the first (few) times. The deployment component is the only piece that really sticks out to me as valuable, but there are other tools that can be used for that.

For weird one-offs or cheap clients, I tend to develop locally in MAMP and then deploy to a Digital Ocean droplet running a basic LAMP stack (which requires about 20 mins to set up [once you've done it a few times]) when the site is ready for client review/approval. Once they're happy with everything, I either move the database and web files to their host if I'm handling launch, or just download and zip the public_html directory and dump the SQL database and hand it off to them if they're handling launch.

Thank you for this post. The place I have a second interview with next week uses Pantheon, so I should probably quickly learn how to use them and Localdev. I personally use Kinsta but never bothered with DevKinsta; usually what I do is create a install on cloudways and then migrate it over lol. Trellis is making me crazy though with random errors, so maybe i'll try these out. I've done a LAMP stack on Digitalocean and didn't mind the process, I should try that also.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Tbh see if your new host has a site migrator plugin and use that if you can. I know Kinsta offers a free hand migration with their services

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Are any of you smart with Gravity Forms? Is there a way to hook into it to create logic to fill out a field? For example I want to apply a discount programarically.

I hate gravity forms.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

kedo posted:

https://docs.gravityforms.com/using-dynamic-population/

Is this what you're looking for?

I use Gravity Forms mostly because I had to buy a developer license for a project many, many years ago so now I can license it for free on every single site I make. The new version isn't half bad, but it's still a pain in the rear end to deal with. I have yet to find a form plugin that doesn't suck massively in some way.

Oh I hear you. This was me at my last job (except replace "migrate" with "fix"), and is how I got so deep into WordPress – fixing other people's messes. When I finally quit and went freelance I made a promise to myself that if a client came to me with a project that looked absolutely miserable, I wouldn't accept it. My life is incalculably better, and this is one of the big reasons why I'm incredibly hesitant to accept a position for a firm where I don't have final say over which projects I do or do not accept.

I think this points me in the right direction, thank you. I guess the trouble now is I need to figure out how to get that hook to be able to read the data in a field or to side load javascript I guess. Essentially I need:

if field1.amount >= 500
field2.discount == -500
else
field2.discount = field1.amount

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Yeah I figured it could be done that way! Sweet. Thanks Kedo!

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Yeah I figured it could be done that way! Sweet. Thanks Kedo!

Hey Kedo, wondering if you might have a idea how to solve this GravityForms totalling issue I have :v:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/71697049/gravityforms-altering-grand-total

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Yep that should be right, and that sounds like the correct action. Thank you, i'll reply back with results!!