Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
Do you Wordpress pros have a favourate 'blank' template to start from or do you start writing from complete scratch?

I ask as I'm trying to theme my own blog. Most of my skills are in photoshop, with a pretty good knowledge of xhtml/css and a pretty vague knowledge of php. So I'm using the Thematic framework as starting point, and making my own child theme on top of that.

I'm just seriously lost in this land of templates. As a basic starting point I'm just trying to put a logo graphic alongside the title, but I can't find which file I need to edit. Logic dictates it's in header.php but all that gives up is this

code:
    <div id="header">
        <?php thematic_header() ?>
    </div><!-- #header-->
And I can't find where the hell thematic_header() is. Is there a simpler theme or tutorial for a beginner to look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
Thanks. I decided I was going all about it the wrong way anyway. Doing a proper mockup in PS now, then I'll make it in HTML, then I'll pick apart the default theme and get things working in mine.

Edit:
http://sectiondesign.co.uk/blogdesign1.png

Where I'm at so far. Any suggestions or things that could look problematic to implement?

Manny fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 18, 2009

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
I've got my theme up and running. Could you WP masters take a look and tell me if I've missed anything or made any glaring errors?

http://blog.sectiondesign.co.uk/